Register now to get rid of these ads!

She's getting there....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Apr 19, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Been working on getting Pops old '29 back on the raod afer 38 years in the garage.
    Car was built in 59-60, pop quit driving it in 68 when I was born, and it has been parked since.
    Started working on her last fall.
    She's got :
    Correct, original,Vintage 1954 Olds 324 , Isky cam, 3-94's, early Hydromatic.
    New brakes,( everything ). Radiator recored, Starter rebuilt, new wishbone mounts, rewelded whole frame, rewired,new headlight mounts, new WWW tires, repainted frame, rebult carbs, all new ignition, recovered seat,rebuilt water pump, new poly fuel tank.
    I am at the stage of starting the bodywork and paint.
    Going with the same color Pop had it done in, sort of a dark aqua metallic, only in acrylic enamel this time.

Should be cool to get it back on the road, and I am looking forward to cruising Gratiot with her....
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Man... thats awesome! A survivor!
    Your already way ahead of the game!
    Good lookin' car.

Josh

3. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks Josh. Yes, it is a real Time Machine. It really shows you how things were done when this hobby was in it's infancy.
    Contrary to common belief, an "Old school" rod does not have to be primer. Some even got painted. ....hope nobody will think less of me for recreating the original finish. :D Here's one from after it got rubbed out, in about 1961.

Mark

Attached Files:

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

My next car will be PAINTED.
    Early 60's style.
    Put it just like the old photos Mark and you'll be a HERO!:D

Josh

5. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

that is just about as cool as it gets right there

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

Love the old pics, thanks for sharing!

7. poorboy

poorboy

thats too cool!

8. thats cool...thanks for sharing!!!

9. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

what kind of rearend did pappy put in there?

10. Neato! Well done...

What's happening on the rails there ahead of the firewall? Looks like covers in one shot but then just silver painted frame in the next...???

The windscreen surround makes it look so different than any A I've seen. Very simple.

11. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Fucking fantastic!!! I wish my pop would have had something like that still around. He had some cool cars and bikes in his day, but they were gone by the time I was old enough to know what they were. You just keep on rocking and get that beauty back on the road!!

12. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks guys, I am pretty proud of the car so far, and it's history.
    The windshield I have no idea about. I have never seenan A like this. I know it WAS a coupe, and that it had been burned back in the day by a guy using the wrong fuel line. This in turn warped the roof, which was cut off BY HAND, making it a roadster.
    Any ideas whare that windshield came from would be appreciated. I have even heard maybe an old boat.
    The front frame is covered with aluminum from the firewall to the shock mount, this was done because the frame is pretty ugly up there. I replicated this also. Hey, why mess with history ? :)

Rear brakes are 54 Ford, so I beleive the rear end to also be the same make and vintage.

Visually, the car will be identical to the way it was back in the day. I don't want to deviate from the way it was other than to make it safe to drive.

Thanks guys,
    Mark

13. Hey Mark that car is sensational!!

By the way isn't that a young(Very young) Sam Sipreino standing infront of the 32 5 window. I think I have seen that pic before, who is your dad?

Where exactly are you from, you say cruise gratiot so I'm thinking East side.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Un-friggin'-beleivable! Is it gonna be at Billetproof? Please say yes...I need to see this one in person.

15. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Looks like a volkswagon windshield to me.

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That's very cool. You're doing a great thing.

Too often old hot rods get "restored" with a 350/350, ugly mags and white letter radials.

I can't wait to see the "after" pics. Oh, and good on your dad for keeping her all those years.

17. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Thanks for the photos, your Pop had it together. What a prize. One word of advise...don't ever sell it. Keep that baby and pass it down to your youngins. I made the mistake of selling a 55 Chevy I bought from my grandfather and I kick myself everytime I see one. Nice job on the resto.:D

18. Gratiot... You must be on my old side of town... 13 and Grosbeck. I left @13y.o. in '77...

Nice car

19. what caps are you planning the 57 plymouth or the dodge lancers?

20. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I would LOVE to find a set of the Plymouth caps. However, the only ones I ahve found were 14", not the 15" I need.
    If anyone has a lead....

I still have the old, slightly used Dodge caps on it. They are a sort of conglomerate cap, as the spinner doesnt really go with the cap. I'll shoot a closer pick next time I get out there to work on it.

Roadstar, yes, that is Sammy Cipriano, and he has this pic on his wall at the shop. Him and the old man were buddies back then. Sam owns Better Maid Potato Chips . Dads name was Charlie , and he lived on the lower east side by City Airport. DeLaSalle grad, 1957 I think. You must be from the area also. Sam is closing up the Motor City Antique Auto Supply, if you did not know. Open form 10-1 only once a week, on Saturday.
    I will see if I have any other pics of him. I do have some other pics of cars the old man built back then, I'll dig them out and scan them.

4t64rd, yes, I live in the 12 / Groesbeck area. Gratiot action isn't what it used to be. Kinda died off after that kid got beaten to death with a bat about 15 years ago. Roesville cops HATE cruisers, mostly in my opinion because todays kids think anything goes and have little respect for anyone or anything.

AMAN, no, this thing isn't going anywhere. When dad knew he was sick, he made mom promise never to get rid of it unless it meant feeding us kids. Thank God I never got too hungry :)

I would love to get it to Billetproof. That sounds like neat gathering.

I really enjoy working on this thing too, it's a connection I have to the old man that passed when I was 12. Thats why I am really trying to keep it as accurate to the 1959 style as I can, with only concession to safety.

I blasted it down the raod for the hell of it, and all I can say is it's quick, and it'll be LOTS of fun!

Thanks for all the ecouragement also. I like to think I am on the right track with this contraption.

:D
    Mark

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll bet your dad is looking down right now with a smile on his face. You are honoring him in the best possible way, by keeping something that meant a lot to him as close to the same way he had it as you can. keep up the good work and by all means be sure to bring it to Billetproof , there will be a crowd around it all day.

Frank

22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've been watching your car since you've started it here and haven't said anything about it. Well its about time I get off my dead ass and praise you for your efforts. Yes your pop is pleased. A really great job.

23. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks Pete,Fab, I hope he'd be happy.
    I'm going to dig out a few more pics and scan them, so check back.....
    Mark

24. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Ok, new pics from the family archives....

The blue coupe is one the old man built or built with someone, not sure who.
    The beige/maroon coupe was Sammy Cipriano's flathead car.
    The woman in one pic is my Mom dropping in the new cam, the guy is my Pop. Also stuck in pic of dad with his Olds, just for the hell of it.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Hot rodding, as it was, it is.
    Mark

Attached Files:

25. 1bustedbuick

1bustedbuick

Must feel realy good to have a part of family history given to ya like this and its still unchanged from his time of enjoyment. No words to describe how nice.

26. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I see you're not too far from Warren...are there many of us old schoolers around our parts?

Thanks for the kind words.
    Mark

27. Boy, thats one of the best rebuilds i've seen! Thats the best way to do it if you ask me, the way it was. My neighbor has a 30 coupe thats been sittin in this old fallin down garage since 64. I know the guy who originally built the car in the late 50's and i'm gonna take him back there to see it. I think it will make his day. The car isn't for sale but I hope I get first dibs on it when he pulls it out.

28. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Where is Burt? Must be upstate huh?
    As for doing things the way they were....I figure since this thing is a real time machine, pretty much never updated, I ought to leave it that way so people can see the way things really were, and how far the hobby has come.
    I see nothing wrong with todays rods, I just prefer mine...well, historic, aged, and vintage proper. Theres something about the smell of a vintage ride, it's certainly individual.

Mark

29. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

So cool , I cant find any words to say.

30. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Your Dad built a sweet piece here for sure, glad you've got it and bringing it back. Very cool. Do you ever feel like the luckiest boy on the planet?