Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cowl Flap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Mar 19, 2014.

1. I wanted to be able to open the cowl flap on my Model T scuttle from within the car and use it as a vent. Originally it was just for access to the petrol filler. I no longer have a cowl tank so can use it as ventilation.

I did plan to use a Citroen 2CV vent flap mechanism but they are now very expensive and difficult to find. I know that there are powered kits available in the USA - but I'm in the UK and don't like spending money on things I can make myself.

I found a Lexus air con vent on eBay for £5 and I've got some threaded rod and a couple of M5 rose joints. I've got a double pole momentary OFF/ON/OFF switch so I'm going to have at it and see if I can motorize the flap... I'll post some more pictures at the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. You could make a simple system like on my 37 Willys. JW
    [​IMG]

3. Thanks - that's pretty much what the 2CV mechanism does. I've got a framework up in the cowl that contains the battery, fuseboard, electrics and some other stuff so it's difficult to get your hand up there. I'm thinking that the servo will just make it all neater and easier - a bit street roddy though ;-)

[​IMG]