Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stolen flipper, need another.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LaGrasta, Mar 13, 2014.

1. After running these low production flipper caps for about a decade, one finally was stolen. Sure enough, I can't find another. Event the day I bought these, I knew I should have bought a spare. They were displayed mounted on a full size hub cap, but I ran mine mounted to a center cap only.

These were originally manufactured and sold in Visalia, CA by Wheels of Steel, now defunct. I believe the brother of the owner still runs a wheel shop somewhere IIRC.

Anyone have a lead for me, much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. ...

Attached Files:

3. deliveryman

deliveryman
    from loma linda

If you googled 1960-1961dodge polara flipper hubcap.and there on eBay all the time .hope that helps

4. This does help, I was told he made these himself, I assumed custom. It appears they were modeled after the Dodge Polara Flipper. Thanks!

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Are you totally sure it was stolen ? I have seen wheel covers come off of a car and go spinning off the road and the driver be totally unaware that anything had happened.

6. I only drove a mile or so, had lunch and returned to work, never on the freeway or of any high speed so I don't believe there was enough to unwind it. It never had in a decade, not once have they loosened.

I'm sure it was stolen as the valve stem doesn't allow it to rotate either. To remove them, I have to pull the stem back significantly. It wasn't intended, but it has turned out to be a great safety feature.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I would retrace my route and be observant of any bumps. If a cover is loose at all they can come off at slow speeds as well.

If it's only a short distance I would be out looking carefully.

Not saying that it wasn't possibly stolen but the chance is there that it is lying by the road.

8. Thanks for the reply and insight. I understand what you're saying. However, it was stolen; it can't be unwound without moving by hand, the valve stem. It literally blocks the flipper from passing. Even by hand, it's difficult to unwind.

9. Are they pot metal? If they're the old Cal Custom ones, I think I have one or two. Let me look around.

10. I have 3 of 'em. They're yours, if you want them.

11. Old Cal Custom ones? I was shocked to find they're the Polara style. Now I find out Cal Custom made them too. I seriously never once spotted these on any car. I only ever saw them in a vendor booth mounted on a full size hubcap. Who knew? Apparently everyone but me!
    Thanks Phil, I'll take them. Any chance I can swing by on a weekday, around lunch time? You can contact me direct, [email protected]

12. I'm in Lakewood, Tony. When is good for you?

13. I work in Anaheim so I'll shoot over on my cycle on a long lunch hour. Let's plan for next Tuesday?

14. I hope you want the whole caps. Can you take them on your bike?

15. But, yeah, Tuesday looks good.

16. I'll bring a large back pack and bungees cords. Email the address and I'll let you know prior to my leaving for your place. THANK YOU!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  17. Thanks again, Phil.

18. Hey, I found the forth one today. Ha ha

19. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

good score... Thanks to the hamb....

20. D-man313

D-man313

That's why I love this hobby!