Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1920 T Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Apr 11, 2010.

1. GARY?

GARY?

I'm running 19 inchers. Would be happy to run 21s. They both have there own look. I tried some solid 16"ers with ribbed up front and 6.50" in back. They looked way too small.

I'll get caught up with the previous posts later, thought I saw some some stuff about B'ville. I'll be there without the T:cool:.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. GARY?

GARY?

Here's a couple shots.
    The gas pedal pivots on a couple collars with bushings pressed in 'em. Where the set screws would go on the collars is where the bolts that attach it all to the firewall go.

Attached Files:

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Excellent idea... thanks.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's from earlier today, but just so you know, Apple green was a factory wheel and trim color for model A Fords. So it is definitely twenties.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, I went over to the MAFCA and saw that color used on a bunch of 30/31s and maybe some earlier too. I hope you don't take it as disrespectful my not wanting to go so bright... I do appreciate any input and, hey, I learned something new too.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, no! It's your car man! If I can get my client to go for it, that's the color scheme for the speedster though.

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brent, If you like the blue it work real well with black. You know you can have any color as long as it is black - Henry Ford.
    I would argee that the '20 "T" Roadster woulf be my choice for you to bring to the '11 LARS. I will be the one crawling all over the car and snapping all kind of detail shots.

When you are ready I will PM you my cell number and such. Will be staying at Casa D'Bend in the Road. look for the late model Ambulance . . . . . . .

8. GARY?

GARY?

Next time I think I would use small spherical ends instead. They already have the bearing and a threaded stud.

Thanks for the compliments on my T by the way. :D

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just seeing this for some reason... GREAT build!! I've been thinking a lot about doing a banger build and this is some inspirational stuff, right here!

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I was looking at 1" pillow blocks, might be overkill though.

Thanks, Scott. That's a cool compliment coming from you... appreciate it.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Okay enough jibber-jabber, it's time for a genuine update.

We put a column mount on the firewall (shown at the last two photos). It was pretty much in the center of the column. It needed something at the top. A couple ideas were tossed back and forth but Wendell came up with one that, I think, looks and works best.

(Click on the photos for larger images)

P7300618.JPG

Below is a sample of the piece we used for the mount, it's one half of a rear shackle.

P7300668.JPG

Here it is trimmed and mocked.

P7300671.JPG

P7300670.JPG

Clamped in place, ready to weld.

P7300672.JPG

Welded to the column. A hole will be drilled once the bottom is all bolted in.

P7300676.JPG

The firewall plate was finish-welded on both sides, too.

P7300678.JPG

P7300677.JPG

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Below is a photo of what is left of the original 1920 frame. Parts of the rail were used to make the rear shock towers.

P7300627.JPG

Here are the shocks. They are NOS oil shocks for 49+ Chevrolets. One is pulled out further than the other, just for a visual comparison.

P7240557.JPG

Below you'll see the single shear mount. The radius rod will be sleeved where the bolt goes through (a project for tomorrow). As well, a longer bolt and some washers will be used.

P7300624.JPG

P7300623.JPG

Below is the tower, tacked in.

P7300625.JPG

We did a lot of measuring and figuring to get these right. They're set at 20 degrees. I was worried there'd be binding but as long as they're spaced correctly, they work well.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Some photos of the completed towers with some rivet heads put on for aesthetics... a nod to Ionia and Bass. Of course, the welds aren't cleaned up. So, right now, it looks like a tap with a rivet head welded to the frame. I'll blend and finish everything, it just didn't happen tonight. That'll be a project for another day.

P7300663.JPG

P7300660.JPG

P7300667.JPG

P7300665.JPG

(This is a mock-up spring.)

P7300662.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
    Lil'Alb likes this.
  14. -Brent-

-Brent-

I got a pound of these from Matt at Ionia Hot Rod Shop. There'll be a few areas throughout the frame with rivets for aesthetics.

P7300631.JPG

Made some tabs, drilled a hole in them and tapped the rivet through.

P7300637.JPG

The back sides, where the rivet stuck through, was trimmed with the band saw and ground down and cleaned.

P7300645.JPG

View from the other side.

P7300641.JPG

Tigged from the back.

P7300646.JPG

Then tacked into place.

P7300654.JPG

P7300653.JPG

That's it for the this evening (morning :eek:). Next up will be the front suspension and the rear sleeves in the radius rods.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

The mock-up is COMPLETE and the car is now back in Salt Lake City. Here's the update for today.

First, the radius rods got sleeved where the shock mounts. All tigged in a clean... definitely made it sturdier being sleeved. Sorry, no pics, they were all blurry.

Below, we stole the shock mounts off the rear axle to use in the front. After they were cut off, the original mounts were ground smooth, leaving no trace of the cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the mounts. It was rounded off and the back was ground at an angle so that it'd sit against the front bone and be perpendicular to the frame.

[​IMG]

Tacked on and testing the fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spread the bones to give some room. There's a lot going on in a small space on this car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Driver's side, finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side finished. It's sitting at a little bit of an angle because not everything is squared up tin the front end. There was a bunch of bolting and unbolting and jockeying things around. Both sides will be symmetrical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's pretty much for mocking the car, with the except the steering. The box needs to be reversed and adjusted before an arm can be made.

So... now on to the fun stuff. Today is 6 months, exactly, since the work.

Here's the car as it sits today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  18. It looks great Brent. You guys do nice work!

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks a lot, Mike. I appreciate it.

This is how it started...

[​IMG]

The pic is from November 1st, 2009, the day after I got it.

Attached Files:

20. GARY?

GARY?

Thanks for posting all the pics. The straight ahead shots are my favorite.

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, fellas, it is appreciated.

22. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

23. freebird101

freebird101

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brent, The T is looking bitchin' now that you are mocking it up. I am looking forward to disassembling my '41 Fordor. Take the frame down to bare rails. Have a buddy who will rebuild the Merc trans and '41 rear axle. Need to start looking for '37 to 41 dropped axle.
    Looking forward to seeing your T as it makes it's way to a completed Hop Up.

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, fellas! I sat down at the kitchen table last night to figure my plan of attack on it, as well, I took a business approach and crunched numbers on remaining parts/materials.

I was supposed to go out to the Hot Rod A Rama this weekend but some stuff came up, preventing it. So, maybe I'll get some free time to dig into the car.

26. That is one rad GOW JOB!

27. Holy Hot Rod Batman!

28. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brent, Wishing you all the best on the completion of your "T". I have been gathering a mismatch of parts for a Dodge bodied (narrowed for a crew of one)- "A" powered/drivetrain in a T frame . . . Getting a start on some neat parts. Would love to build it into a Hill Climber . . .

29. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Brent this is a great thread of your car from a great era. I've been look'n it over back and forth check'n out the "pitchers," and it is just excellent. Thanks!

30. Bodger45

Bodger45

That thing looks bitchin' I dig it!