Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1920 T Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Apr 11, 2010.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Interesting build. You handled the lowering of the front a little different than me but to the same end. You actually started with more than than I had.
    Keep posting.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I don't understand...there aren't any deuce parts to this build. I thought all hot rods had to have deuce parts...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. -Brent-

-Brent-

When I saw the TT rear crossmember, I knew it'd do the trick. I didn't want a visible gusset or something that looked out of place for pre war. Although I haven't seen anything exactly like it, it could have been.

Hahaha... Larry, I said I wanted to keep it under $4,000. :D

4. Interesting build. I really want to do a 20's-30's modified next. I will watch this to get ideas.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking awesome Brent.

6. Thats gunna be a neato little car. im gunna subscribe

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice build! Thanks for posting all the photos. Hope some Hartford shocks are planned fror the front.:)

Attached Files:

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'd like to go with a vintage or self-made friction shock but I got these with the A rolling chassis. I did get a set of 36 arms (which are longer) to try as well. They aren't fancy but I think they'll do the trick.

[​IMG]

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

The A shocks should work fine. You could get two 1932 Model B Ford engine vibration dampeners and make shocks out of them. That will make 3Window Larry happy.:D

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Haha, yep Larry would be content with that. :D Got a pic of the dampeners? I'm intrigued.

Is using 32 parts the only way to be "Larry Approved"? :D

11. Interesting project but I don't agree with your decision to run mechanical brakes. My first car was a stock Model A. We could not get those brakes to work worth a damn. I learned how to downshift that crashbox very quickly or I never would have been able to drive it. Converted to juicers asap. Remember, those cars weren't able to go more than about 40 MPH.

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

This car will probably stop faster than it accelerates. :D Check FlatheadTed, you'll see what I mean.

13. Brent, I just want you to know, I SEE YOUR VISION, without squinting!!! I love the early "Gow-Job" style low-slung T's..... Whether they were actually low slung then or not, they sure look good that way, with wires and 21" tires!

James

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, James. I think a lot of the low slung cars of that vintage had a track-style noses.

I'm chasing these guys...:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the pic that gets me...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    brEad likes this.
  15. Awesome!

Where have I seen that 2nd pic before?

James

16. QUOTE:
    I love yours, too. I didn't realize it has a 39 box. What did you do have for a driveline from that to the rear? Which rear?

My T doesn't have an A motor... my 32 roadster does. Couldn't find a B block, and had a nice A. Bored it a 100 over, touring cam, lightened flywheel, OHV, etc. Oh, and a 39 trans, 36 rear. Car boggies....

My T has it's T motor, Warford trans...

I dissagree with the gent that sez mechanicals don't work... they work too good when adjusted right!

Atwater Mike likes this.

17. It came from Multi's house... after he passed.

He ran another #, believe it was 7... I forget now.

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Love what your doing , Pre. war. Here is some inspiration.

Attached Files:

19. olskool34

olskool34

Run the mechanicals, they will be fine, NOTGETTINGRICH, you must have had something screwed up in your brakes or they weren't adjusted properly because my coupe still runs them and the car stops great, really great in fact.

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

I like your style. :D

Sounds a lot like what I'll be running in my 26/27 Roadster, which will be next on the chopping block.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, I don't mind people hating on mechanical brakes... it keeps the price down for me. :D Hell, I'll even tell people they're dangerous. It's one of those things (like Flatty over-heating issues) that will always be around. Granted, mechanical brakes can be a headache and juice brakes are an improvement, but like anything else, proper set-up and maintenance are key.

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Is that you? That's a cool photo.

23. ratster

ratster

cool little "T"

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

No not me. I'm not quite that old. It could be you when you get finished if you could dig up some knickers and white bucks. It must have been taken in the '30s. He sure looks proud though. Found the photo at a second hand store.

Attached Files:

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

The frame is pretty much done. I added a boxed section with a few holes on the kick-up. Also, I had a new rear main leaf made and it's been a pain to install. I got a set of 36 rear radius rods to replace the stock A set since the frame is much narrower. To complete that I need to set the engine and trans. I’m waiting on a 32-34 B motor truck front mount (rather than fabbing something). I think the look will be more genuine.

Speaking of looking more genuine, we put some headlight mounts up front but they don’t fit the look and I’m not pleased with them, although they’d work just fine. “T” Nut donated a set of stock headlight mounts which will be perfect, that stuff doesn’t happen often and I think it’s pretty cool. Thanks “T” Nut!

My camera battery died and I haven’t replaced it yet, so no extra pics (that’s fun update stuff, right? :D).

26. tjm73

tjm73

Cool build!! Keep the updates flowing.

27. Bodger45

Bodger45

Love it!!!!!!