Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unknown Mallory Mini-Mag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barz51, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Barz51

Barz51

I found this old Mallory Mini-Mag in a junk yard. The old guy running the yard told me it was for an Oldsmobile, however he also insisted it was a dual points distributor. I did not want to stick around and argue the point and I really wanted to leave before he realized what it really was. Anyhow, I think it is from an olds and maybe even an early OHV engine. I've been searching the Mallory sight and the HAMB but cant find any good info for identifying it. Thanks in advance for the help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think the "312" identifies engine family. I'm at work and old Mallory catalog is at home, but I think it may be Pontiac from look of post.

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

the guy was right, it's just a dual points distributor. i'll be happy to take it off your hands to save you from just throwing it away ;)

4. Or perhaps Y-block Ford?

5. Barz51

Barz51

That is what I was thinking at the junkyard. I just kept thinking "I don't care what it fits. Just sell it to me while you still think it is a dual point distributor."

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's definitely Pontiac V8.

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

either way, i want it for my olds hahaha

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's too short to use in an Olds without adding some sort of extension; however, since it's got CCW advance, it's a good prospect to shorten for use in a '49-'53 Cadillac.

9. von Dyck

von Dyck

It is NOT a dual point distributor! You only have the "Generating Component". Unlike the Vertex with its integral transformer (coil), the Mallory used an epoxy filled external coil called a "Power Pack". These came in two versions: one used on push-start engines (sprint cars, dragsters, etc.), and another used on battery start engines (typically street driven vehicles). Spark plug gaps must be narrowed to no more than .018" or you won't get the engine started. Ran one of these on a 324cid Olds then later adapted it to run on a 426 HEMI. Fuel economy was decent even without the vacuum advance.
    The cap for this is a two piece. On your advance/retard scale the red indicator pointer is missing. Stewart-Warner built a special tachometer to read RPM off these mags. Lucky find even if only for conversation.

10. rsg2506

rsg2506

People have been telling me that for years.....:D

Helvehammer likes this.
  11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

definately pontiac, here's bay listing that says it came from a 65 pontiac. looks like an exact match:

[​IMG]

12. 61bone

61bone

What you have there is a nice shelf sitter for a Pontiac. You need the powerpac for it and the chances of finding a good one are nil. Coils are always shot. I was quoted 500 to make a new coil and Mallory tells me that no other coil will work with it.:( This mag is a starter model with centrifugal advance. Note the coil is cracked.
    Enclosed pics are what it consists of along with the necessary stuff for a mag Sun tach.

13. 61bone

61bone

Well, won't let me edit my other post so i'll try it here

Attached Files:

14. alchemy

alchemy

Hey 61bone, do you know anything about a Mallory Super Mag? Number 310 SP, for a SBC? Like, does it require a special coil for street use, or maybe do you have wiring diagrams?

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It looks like a very cool candidate for conversion to Chrysler electronics if you can find the cap and rotor.

16. 61bone

61bone

Nah, don't know nothin bout no sprint mag.:) I'd bet that a local sprint car racer could tell you all you want to know about them though. I believe that sprint mags are still current and in use. Did find a neat thing to ease starting though. Fairly simple addition called a shower of sparks ignition. Guess airplanes used it back when they were still propped to start. Now if I could just find a good coil.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I have an old 60's super mag too, mines for a 426 I Wanted to adapt it to my 331 hemi but they spin backwards, if you find anything out let me know i might machine or try to find new guts for mine

18. alchemy

alchemy

Super Mags are not Sprint Mags, but were probably made for sprinters. Super Mags were (I think) the predecessor to the Mallory Mini Mag and II's and such. Not sure, but I think they haven't been produced for decade or more. Can't find anybody who'll work on them, or has and diagrams parts. SOL I guess.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

No the mini mags were sold at the same time and i belive were cheaper than the original Super mag. The super mag was made in the early or mid sixties and they were on a lot of the top drag cars and rails of the time

20. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

I have the same set up. Except the one I have has no advance built into the base. Instead the one on my shelf has weights in the base. Same box for the coil (engine start). Atleast the one I have looks very easy to convert to a points with external coil. Simple as hell. The internal coil on these don't have to do anything. You can just leave it in there and then wire it for a regular points deal. Use it. Yes it takes a 2 piece cap I think the part# is a 4004. I think they are a little rare, the one I have is the only one I have seen in person.

21. Barz51

Barz51

Thanks for all your help fellas. I was really hoping to use it on a project but times are a little tight and I ended up listing it on Ebay. Thanks again.

22. murdercycles

murdercycles