Register now to get rid of these ads!

leaf spring rate calculator for EXCEL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

alternate thread title;
    slow day at work

flipping through my copy of Chassis Engineering I see a basic formula for calculating spring rates for leaf springs

leaf width times number of leaves devided by 12 times 1000 times leaf thickness devided by leaf length to the third power

and wrote this short excel formula to have a calculator on hand just in case I want to do some quick syferin'

anybody else got any nifty excel formula?

Attached Files:

2. enginebloch

enginebloch
    from norfolk va

I made one that figures out optimum intake and exhaust runner length and graphs the results so you can tune your custom manifolds easier. Its based on Helmholtz Resonator equations.
    If anybody wants a copy, just shoot me a pm.

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I made one for figuring out rear end ratio required for a drag car based on desired max engine rpm at the end of the quarter mile. (Didn't want to over-rev our flatty in the HA/GR car.)

4. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut

I have one to compute compression ratio, if you want it P.M. me. If someone knows how to post an excel file, please post instructions and I will post the file.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

testing, attach as zip

Attached Files:

6. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut

Spring rate zip works, hope this does.

Attached Files:

7. Thanks, everyone. When I get home I'll try to download all this. It looks like really helpful stuff. Appreciate it!

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've got one for tire diameter, rpm, gear ratio, & speed...it's clunky, but I like it.. I'll try to attach later..

EDIT - Attached it - it's got tabs for the common early Ford rear ratios along with each of the various trans cluster ratios - you can input tire size at the top & it populates the rest of the sheet with rpm. First sheet has some various gear ratio/rpm/mph calculators

Attached Files:

9. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Here's a few that I've made over the years. I have others, but these are probably the most useful and easy to comprehend.

Ratio - Shows relationship between road speed and rpm on a graph based on rear wheel size (accounting for tire crush), rear end gears and tranny gears. I made a table of trans gears for comparison purposes.

Carbsize - This one was based on info from an Edelbrock catalog a few years ago. Might be useful in selecting carbs.

Suicide tube strength - a quick and dirty one showing deflection for different diameters and wall thicknesses of round tubing.

Attached Files:

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

'nuther super basic one
    this could be adapter for any motor,
    just change the stock bore and stroke columns to match your motor's stoke numbers

to use this just put your desired over bore and over stroke numbers in the blue column

and check out the new cubes in the red column

Attached Files:

11. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

29EHV8 likes this.

12. Does this assume the center bolt (and point of spring rate measurement) is equidistant from each end?

Of course, most MoPars have shorter spring segments ahead of the rear axle than behind the rear axle...:rolleyes: