Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why O why must people lean on the paintjob?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shinysideup, Dec 25, 2012.

1. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Recently I finished a project that came out pretty sharp. Longtime friends/family and random folks, most of which have been around during the 5 year build know what a chore/expense its been. They all enjoy the truck very and say nice truck blah blah.

Problem is they all invariably find themselves leaning on it carelessly like its a parkbench. The paint is nice and polished out, why would they put their full weight on it? Ive had to suggest they move a few times. Im not expecting the paint to stay perfect, but its beyond whats acceptable, and Im shocked people dont know if you find yourself tired,this is the LAST place to lean your ass.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Lack of consideration for the work you did to the truck, and or they don't have anything that nice themselves so they don't know any better.
    Just an observation of people in general.
    KK

3. The world is full of inconsiderate people. I was at a cruise night and a guy in an ugly 60's mustang coupe parked next to me but was leaning on MY car instead of his own. The leaning on the car part didn't really bother me. Just the fact that this guy didn't know me and was ignorant enough to be like that, did.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Get new friends and family.

5. Speed~On

Speed~On

I know it's no concelation but it's happened to all of us at one time or another. It still amazes me though. Clearly people can see the vehicle in front of them is really nice, yet they touch it or worse yet, lean on it. Kool-Kats right, most people just don't know any better. Sad thing is the overwhelming majority of people don't know better. Just ask them to please not lean on the car.

I had a guy install full length exhaust on my Model A. This guy owns a steel 32 Ford Coupe. When I picked my car up my $1,000 wide white walls were covered in greasy dirty hand prints from him!! He should know better! People are just stupid.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've had that happen and I have found that the ONLY thing those types understand is loud, foul language in their direction. The thing is, if anyone ASKS if they can sit in my car, I have never turned anyone down. But, damn it, you have got to ask FIRST.

I don't have fenders and my friends sit on the tires, no problem. But lean on my non painted body, they probably could, but they won't. They know what's right.

Next time someone leans on your ride, ask them if it's okay to grab their old lady.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cars are meant to be leaned on. Unless it's a show car. Lippy

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If people don't have the smarts to be considerate of your property you simply ask them to move. I see guys that bring those "models" around at shows and they feel they have the right to spread out over everybody's car, just because they are a chick.:rolleyes:

A couple of years ago at Billetproof a guy sat a beer bottle on the rear tire of my Son's rpu. I thought it over for a minute because I didn't want to look like an ass, but then I couldn't take it any more and I removed it and handed it back to him. I could just see it falling off and scratching or denting the bed, and I'm sure he wouldn't have paid for the repairs.

Sometimes you just have to speak up, regardless of who the person is. If their Momma didn't teach them then you have to.

Don

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

and there we are.

10. teejay99

teejay99

...same reason they have to SLAM the door when they get in or out of your ride ....they're idiots !

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Damn you guys are touchy. I wouldn't own a car I couldn't use. And I am a painter! Lippy

12. yes.....i'm coming to the conclusion the world is full of idiots

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool. An inconsiderate can't USE mine. It's about respect, not use.

14. smarg

smarg

So you feel the need to vent, to add to the cul de sac of threads on here?

Age old reason lack of knowledge or common sense.

Attached Files:

15. Master of None

Master of None

Much of it has to do with the unawareness of how much time and money that you have into your paint. If they somehow damage your paint job, have them help you fix it. Its the only way to properly educate someone about the pride you have in your car.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Now you know why I don't put beautiful paint on my rides. That, and I'm lazy.

17. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Lippy, it's totally OK for you to use YOUR car as you see fit. Lean on it, get greasy finger prints on it, let people massage the paint with their hands and slam the doors all you want on YOUR car. But most car people would no more treat another person's car with such disrespect than they would piss in the wind. But I get the impression you're just trying to start an argument anyway, so never mind...

18. BISHOP

BISHOP

If it aint yours, dont touch it. Thats the rules.

The best line I ever heard regarding leaning on a car was, "Get the fuck off my ride before I beat your wifes pussy."

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  19. kracker36

kracker36

Even though I have cars that I don't mind getting scratched, I have never understood the need for someone to be too lazy to stand by a car without leaning on it. It really is a lack of consideration for someone else's property.

20. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

I dealt with that shit for years. Asshole inconsiderate people molesting my lacquer paint. One day i said screw it. Sold it. Now...all my cars have "driver" paint. No more worries or gettin pissy. Lifes much more enjoyable and easy now.

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wow, we went from leaning on the car to slamming the doors and trashing the car? No I wouldn't let someone pocketknife my paint but simply leaning against paint won't TRASH it. Grow up. But we all love those traditional shots of people back in the day leaning against those cars right? Oh yeah, it ain't yours though. Me, me, me. Later Traditional hotrodders. :Lippy

22. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Well, you got the name right.

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My car didn't have a nice paint job, but leaving the Street Rod Nationals, a guy stopped me to talk about my car. First thing he does is rub his hand across the roof of my car and said, "I love your patina". I say thanks, where's your car, lets rub our hands on your paint!!!! He quickly departs muttering sorry, sorry. I telling him wait, wait, where's your car? Lets rub the paint! If you don't let people touch YOUR car, keep your fuck'in hands off of other's cars.

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

We see it all the time at my shop when we have a restoration project around with fresh paint . It just seems that people don't give it any thought , except for the person paying for the resto . We just make sure we're on top of it , and if it seems like they're gonna lean on it , we politely say "Hey , don't lean on that car" . It's about all you can do , short of punching 'em in the junk ;) .

25. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Its not only leaning on them its putting their sweaty greasy hands all over everything and leaving smudge prints all over windows,trim and what have you, Then there are the dumb fucks that will put their shoes on the polished wheels, when you polish out truck wheels you get real pissy about that.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah, you too. LOL.

27. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

some shows are not for car people but the trash that goes to these shows don't know what the value of the cars are. ????????????????????????????????

28. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Can not fix stupid

29. iarodder

iarodder

I gotta agree.... I've been painting cars for a long time and people just don't get it! If its your ride do as you please, but if it's my ride you better not let me catch you leanin, cause I loose my cool really quick. The only exception is children but they get the speech about respecting other peoples cars, this paint is costing more and more every year and it obviously isn't going to get cheaper. Besides the amount of work that goes into them is unreal and unless they have done it themselves they have no clue. I drive mine all the time, even to that shithole Wally world, but I still cant see owning something that sits in the garage.

30. Scumdog

Scumdog

Leanin ain't the problem.

It's the zippers, snaps and belt-buckles etc.