Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why O why must people lean on the paintjob?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shinysideup, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Mr48,
    When I first came back from Mexico I put a little off topic truck together to toodle around town. It sat pretty low and had painted bumpers same quality as the rest of the paint on the truck which was pretty smooth.

I walked out of a quick trip and found this fella with his cowboy boot resting on my front bumper and a little gaggle of groupies gathered around him as he was talking his shit. I also noticed his satin Corvette jacket and a really nice late model corvette parked about two cars down. So I took my quick trip hot dawg and coffee down and proceded to sit on the front of his Corvette and eat. He threw a fit as I spilled coffee and mustard all over as I was trying not to slide off the front of his plastic wonder. But it did get his booted foot off of my bumper. He did calm down while I stood with my work boot on one of his nice snake skin boots and explained to him that I did not appreciate him using my front bumper for a foot rest.

probably can't pull that one off with your dad but it does work on those who are not related. :D

I suppose that at the end of the day we are just surrounded by people that do not have a solid grasp on reality, or reality as we see it.

2. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

BINGO!
    Jay

3. hd4unm

hd4unm

That could be the best six bucks you could ever spend. I'm thinking 50k volt coil might be more fun. Just got to remember to turn it off before you open your own hood.

4. We used to use Model T coils, I think they were only 40K.

Also a fence charger, some come set up for a 12V power source.

5. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I hate to say it but I would sit back with a cool one and watch people get their asses zapped all day...it would bring me pure wicked pleasure... :cool:

6. hd4unm

hd4unm

I want to sit with you!!!

7. hd4unm

hd4unm

Great sense of humor and a little adventurous. Makes you wonder how some people can actually survive to live another day let alone tie their shoes or get out of the house.

8. I been wantin' to sit with her for a while. She is my kind of people. ;)

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Adults should know better.
    But when a little kid touches my car I usually get up and ask him if he wants to sit in it. They really enjoy it.
    I figure I built it I can fix anything they can break.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ok I confess I may have been trying to stir the pot a bit here.:D The model T coil works excellent for zapping people. A switch, twelve volts a T coil and a ground chain from the body of the car to ground. I had one on my 67 GTO. Small chain with a hook on it so you can hook it back up to the body when not in use. Wait in the car where you are not grounded, let the unsuspecting people touch your car, preferrably chrome,:D tickle them with the switch a little, look for the puzzled look on their face as they eye the car and you. Then ZAP let them have it. Try to get girls with shorts on to lean against the bumper. Won't hurt you but will get your attention real quick.

11. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Coils also work good when a Dog takes a leak on your wheels. They don't seem to come back.

12. My folks were famous for this phrase when we were at events or in people's homes: "Don't touch anything." And believe me my brothers and me didn't touch anything. But my dad was a car guy too, so I guess that helped.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  13. I try not to be too anal about touching my cars,finger prints are not permanent but I have had a car scratched by the rivets on someones jeans but don't know the perpetrator.

I would think most of the time people that lean on other folks cars are just not thinking,,most of these guys own cars. HRP

14. hudson48

hudson48

Just went to visit my old boss and the neighbours over the road, who I also know, had not seen the roadster before.They had a small baby that they sat on the cowl for a photo opportunity!!!!!
    Luckily it was only a light weight I guess.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's all well and good, but I was taught not to touch ANYBOBYS shit. If it's not mine, I have no business touching or leaning on your car, bike, trike, lawn mower, etc. It doesn't matter what kind of car or it's condition. It's not mine.

I really don't get the people who have responded with, "It's just a car." Chances are, those are the same people who would shoot me, if they caught me camped out on their lawn. Or standing in their garage without permission.

This isn't just a car thing. It's showing respect for someone elses property. Plain and simple.

I had a lady, this past weekend, ask me if she could take pictures of my car. I laughed and thought it was a dumb question, but it wasn't to her. She was showing RESPECT. A little over the top, but respect all the same.

So, you guys saying it's okay to lean on your car, how would you feel if you came home and I was parked on your lawn? Hey, it's just grass, right?

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great answer..........:D

17. philo426

philo426

I don't get that!I was taught from a young age not to touch anyone elses stuff !I taught my own kids at cars shows not to touch the paint and explained how much work goes into a paint job.

18. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed 100%. Most people have little to no respect anymore. Don't even get me started on the people that think anyone's motorcycle is free game:mad:

19. cheveey57

cheveey57

To most people a car is just transportation. Some may even think yours is real "cute" or "snazzy" but it is STILL just transportation that's all.

20. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Bingo, folks, we have a winner. This is how I was raised and how I raised my kids. It's all about respect for other peoples stuff, no matter what it is. Keep your shit hooks and lard asses off of other peoples stuff, relative or friend or not. Done and done, nice and simple with no gray areas.

KRH

21. the-rodster

the-rodster

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If you're trying to say that those women and the photographer just randomly flopped all over that car without permission, I doubt it.

Since you seem to be okay with people climbing all over your property, bring your car to Houston. I know a couple 'hoods you could park it in.

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

24. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I've noticed over my 60 years that TRUE CAR GUYS...those who have put many hours into their cars ALWAYS walk up to someones car with hands in their pockets or behind their backs....I've striped cars for 41 years and can't remember EVER touching someones car untill we had struck a deal to stripe it......IT's ALL ABOUT RESPECT FOR YOUR FELLOW MAN AND HIS RIDE.....it's something this new Beat Nick Car Culture of guys with any piece or part that will weld or pot rivet to it are lacking in.......BUT to say that...hear me...most are the guys that hang out with that group...most don't have a car or if they do, it's a piece of junk...simply because they don't care and wouldn't have a nice one if you gave it to them.... TRUE CAR GUYS know who I'm talking about.......AGAIN, IT'S REPECT AND NOTHING ELSE.......I don't own a car I wouldn't drive anywhere in the rain, but I don't want some FOOL beating on it and saying...they don't build them like that anymore....................."The Surgeon General has not approved this message because it may be insulting to an Idiot.

25. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

tfeverfred, I have read this thread from the start to #111 and I feel you hit on all the points. It is something you are taught. My boys new everything they needed to know about a car gathering before they ever attended the first one. Whatever the object be,"if it is not yours, you don't touch". It makes no difference what it is or what condition the item is in. If it isn't yours and you have not been given permission you don't touch. To me it is a parenting thing. These people have had no upbringing. Its not just cars, it is their whole life.

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Never lean or touch any ones car. I dont care if its a rust bucket. Its called respect.

27. Many of the leaners i have seen would have very little idea what they are and or have thier ass etc parked on, they just think its flash and want to be seen with it. No clue,and no idea,just them selves in thier little world. JW

28. I recently painted my 29 Hudson, and im now learning all about this type of pest. As soon as the new paint gets some stone chips and scratches, ill be a lot happier.

29. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Many years ago, we had our rod run at a facility that was used by the football Cardinals. I came back to my car to find someone sitting it it, and I was mad. When I approached him I found out he was some kind of defensive end or something like that, nickname was "Dr. Doom", had muscles that hung out of his clothes and ate small children for snacks. So....well...I let him alone that time....BUT NEXT TIME.....

30. Muttley

Muttley

Thats not the point.