Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAYDAY MAYDAY Banger Meet in is progress...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, May 1, 2008.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have a question, it may have been covered before but I did not see it in this post. Is anyone out there running a newer 5 spd like a t5 behind their A or B motor?

Also has anyone had any experience with Scalded Dog Speed PArts in OH?

Thanks

2. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

I think there is a conversion kit you can buy for that

3. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I found a mention on one guys web page. I was curious as to wheter anyine here as actually done it though. Sounds like it would make it nicer for regular driving.

4. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

I posted a couple of months back (well, closer to a couple of years now:eek:) about my banger counter rotating (after a backfire) and seizing up. I finally got a chance to tear into it. Real long story short; the darn ring gear had come part way off and wedged between the bell housing and flywheel:confused:. The ring gear is back in place (with the help of a few tack welds) and the banger is back on the road!! :D

Attached Files:

5. Actually it os a pretty common conversion, The S O S S magazine and the FAST newsletter have had articles on the conversion. If you scroll back a few pages you will see a very good looking enclosed drive line adapter. Cornhusker makes an adapter for S10 to a early V8 flathead that will bolt up to the "A" to V8 trans adapter. Probably the most popular DYI is to use an "AA" bell housing. There is an article with photos on how to do it and make an adapter for the torque tube drive line in the S O S S or maybe FAST
    As to Scalded Dog, they have quite a selection, but most on the forum prefer "oldies but goodies". I have seen some dyno test that show good power but I personally don't have any experience with them with the exception that I'm using their rocker stands on my original Riley 2 port. The parts required some "massaging" to fit but were well made. I use the term original as C Yapp has made some changes to the original design. I think he has eliminated the problem with the originals tendency to crack The Scalded Dog cam is actually Mike Hart's version of the Winfield SU1R. I have a SU1R ground by Mike Hart and have one by Jim Brierley. The Hart version doesn't have as much lift as the J Brierley. It has more lope at idle but my experience is the J Brieley is faster. The J Brierly has roughly .060 more lift. Iim says that he knows of maybe 5 different grinds call SU1R.

6. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Also has anyone had any experience with Scalded Dog Speed PArts in OH?

I'm using Charlies Vortex - works for me!

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Steve Serr sells a complete conversion for model A to T-5 for open and soon for closed drive line. Follow this link:

http://www.millerhi-speedheads.com/parts.htm

The kit includes bellhousing and peddel mounts

I'm using a T-5 in my roadster and love it!!!!!!

8. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Here's a teaser of a new timing cover that will be available soon.
    Currently undergoing field testing.
    [​IMG]

9. I run a five speed in my pick up with a relatively mild to stock banger and its a dream!

10. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hey Sawracer, Wow!!!!
    More info as and when please.....

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm running a T-5 behind a B engine with an original CRAGAR head. Combine that with an F-100 steering box and hydraulic brakes and you have one sweet driver. I used the kit out of Iowa or Ohio and use every opportunity to discourage people from buying that particular kit. Keeping the closed drive line is far and away the better way to go.

12. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Artiki, As soon as it gets a few miles under its belt and I am confident there are no issues it will be available. I am hoping less than thirty days.

13. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

How do you keep the closed driveline with the 5 spd?

Couple other questions:

Will a wheels fit juice brake drums?

Is there any way to put brakes on a T that would have origionally been brakeless?

Anyone running a larger wheel in the front (19") with a smaller on in the back(16")?

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

15. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

As for Scalded Dog, I have one of Mr. Yapps Equalizer intakes I'm setting up for my Big motor. Good casting, fine machining,fast shipping.Its a plenum design. Working on a pair of 97's with progressive linlage.I've had good dealings with them,and may order the oversize valve set.

16. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Sawracer - I want one ...

dam they are nice

a good mod would be to make it for an A or a B - maybe some sort of block off.

any way put on the B cover and all is well and mounted.

Fantastic...

17. DLipp

DLipp
    Member Emeritus

18. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

I would like to shave 25-30 pounds off the flywheel. The question is, where do I cut, and how much do I take off?? Artiki- Saw that Condor cam cover on E-Bay this morning,it's at $5.50. Looks cool,but bet it will go high.

19. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Hey hollywood, where in west OH are you?

20. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

Just outside of Union City. 35 miles north of I-70... on the line....

21. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Thanks for the comments on the timing cover. I will check on the fit of dual timing pin locations. Excellent Idea. I guess I didn't see the forest for the trees.

22. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

anyone running E85 in their banger motor?

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is the Condor cover installed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. George Riley recommended turning the outer rim or OD to 11.625 ( 11 5/8" ) to with in 3/8" of the ring gear in his little booklet on the 100 MPH model "A" It is recommended to attach flywheel to crank and turn between centers. No matter how you do it you should have the crank flywheel and pressure plate balanced as a unit. I have been told that if the flywheel and pressure plats are balanced to dead nuts, or zero if you prefer, they can be bolted on to the crank and run, assuming the crank is at dead nuts also I suppose. Some people remove materiel from the ID.
    The stock "A" flywheel weighs 62 LB. the "B" 55 LB. If you go too light the flywheel will work loose.
    The stock "A" clutch weighs 14.5 Lb. and a flathead V8 9" weighs 11.5.

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Ah ha! So this is the finished product we spoke about a few months ago when I was looking for a side drive mag unit? looks great! Keep up the good work! Hey can I get a discount on mine when they're ready!!?? HA!

26. Wildfire

Wildfire

Speaking of balancing, I talked with Rusty at the NSRA in Springfield this morning. His car is sporting a well balanced banger - flywheel around 28 lbs and balanced and then a fluid damper up front. He's run 109 at Bonneville in a hi-boy roadster.

So, what do we know about fluid dampers? I think this one was adapted from an SBC.

27. I bought a SBC dampener from Taylor Engines in Whittier Ca came with pulley ready to install but you have to use a split or 2 piece 32 type front motor mount. I think taylor also has a mount.

28. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Just asking here does the flywheel still work loose if it is safety wired n loctited? also a V/8 flywheel doing it the same way? I have a V/8 flywheel I was going to bolt on n check to see how it locates in relation to stock on a 34 motor I am assuming it is balanced from factory and clutch n pressure plates are matched too Any hints here I would appreciate from your expertise
    thanks
    Ken

29. The comment about the lighter flywheels loosening up came from Jim Brierley. He was speaking about dragsters Check this out in regards to the V8 fiywheel http://rides.webshots.com/album/558786345HiXnZi

30. Go to page 4 in this album to see a dampener as supplied by Taylor Engines
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/548082344WwBSrj