Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Pay As You Go Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

That ain't a bad looking merc!!!

3. Mr Nilsson

Mr Nilsson
    from Sweden

Nice story and a beautiful Merc!

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

You can't get anywhere without determination and vision...looks like he succeeded.

5. Very cool story. Wonder where it is today.

6. ebfabman

ebfabman

Cool……

7. That is a stinkin' beautiful car and I think it looks better than the Hirohata. Great story to go with it too.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Beautiful. One of my favorite rear taillight treatments ever. I think that's pretty much how the most of us build our cars today. Hurry & Hustle.

9. indybail

indybail

I take it there wasn't a Mrs. Burgarin.

10. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

11. Buick headlight doors, in my opinion either look great... or like shit. These are perfect. Great car.

12. Another custom (and a nice one too), Ryan. You're developing a pattern here. Is there a new avatar in the offing?

13. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Real nice car with grate lines WONDER WHERE ITS AT NOW ???

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That has always been one of my favorite Mercs ever since I saw photos of it over 50 years ago.
    I'd have to believe that there was a lot more pay as you go custom work done in those days than complete cars done at one shot.

16. John B

John B

Wasn't there a story a few years back that an unnamed builder wanted to build a clone and one automotive journalist did an article picking the car apart with drawings and diagrams showing what he thought was wrong with the car. All in an attempt to keep the builder from cloning a car he didn't like.

Dammit, now I have to go pull out my Custom Rodders and find the article to back up my hazy memory.

17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

That car has a great stance.

Thanks for sharing, Ryan :)

18. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I, also wonder what happened to the car. After reading the story there was some very unique window frame treatments done to the car, along with the grill and tail lights I would imagine that car would be fairly recognizeable even in modern trim and paint.

beautiful car, hopefully its still kicking around!

Scot

19. Harry Bradley was the one who did the article. I was unaware that it was tied to someone's build. I thought he was commenting/pointing out flaws on a couple of Barris builds.

20. Good thing Dave Burgarin never met Harry Bradley! I like it!

21. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Nice Merc. Its amazing how a picture or a story about a car can drive so many of us crazy for the rest of our lifes.. I know i'm one.

22. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. What does this have to do with building a merc???

24. Well im glad this high tech disgrace to Miss San Pedro wasn't built.Dave was a blue collar working man (Longy) and he had a great Mercury.It is bad enough we have to see these high tech abortion's on a regular basis but to see one and call it a "Second Look at Miss San Pedro" would be downright insult.Keep the hightech fastback on paper.If someone was going to build something in honor of Miss San Pedro I would hope they would build it close to what it was.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  25. John B

John B

Call it inside information -

The part about it being an attempt to keep a clone from being built came from a late night conversation in a hotel paking lot at a kustom show with someone who worked at a magazine. I'll not mention names because the journalist was friends with both parties.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  26. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The kicker is that a clone has been built of Miss Pedro, and photos have seen posted, here on the HAMB:) The build is a good "twenty footer", but much like the Walker Hirohata, falls well short of the mark.

I'm no fan of street rods, frame clips or roof clips on Mercs, but by the same token, does the world need another version of "Sam's Merc"? The original Barris built Miss San Pedro was a much more refined design than that Seafoam Green thing ever dreamed of being:D

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

27. n847

n847

I love to see a merc like this that isn't totaly slammed, don't get me wrong they look awesome slammed...But that stance does it for me!

28. If it is the merc im thinking of with the straight bars for the grill.....I dont consider that a clone at all,not even close.

What seafoam green thing are you talking about ?

29. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

So I take it no one knows what happened to the original?

30. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Yeah...where is this car now?