Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New old frame for my '34 Master

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamed34, Mar 24, 2014.

1. flamed34

flamed34

When I bought my '34 Chevy, a previous owner had butchered it pretty bad. The body was one thing, but the worst was the frame. They obviously read somewhere that "the thing to do" was put a Camaro front stub in...so they hacked a nice frame just in front of the firewall. Since the super solid original fenders didn't clear the control arms, they hacked a big chunk out of the fenders too (and threw away the pieces).
    I ended up using '38 Dodge front rails and grafted them in, fish plated the whole thing, and made it work. Since I had no suspension, I went with a MII. the only problem: with the wheel arch of the Dodge, it sits low. Real low. If I bring it up with tires, then I have clearance issues at the fenders.

So the car has been on the back burner as I've been putting together my '55 Desoto and doing some cars for others. In truth, I've been burned out on the car. It was so hacked up, I ended up buying a roof section of a 4 door to piece the top back together after a bad chop.

Then, in my daily CL perusal, I came across an untouched '34 Master frame. I took the ride yesterday and picked it up - $350. Stoked!

Now to figure out what I do with the suspension. Do I use the MII? It's all rebuilt with discs. Has anyone used a Ford straight axle set-up on a Master (originally had the knee action - DuBonnet) but I have none of that.

Either way, I'm happy to have a nice original frame!

A couple of pics, along with the '34 as it sits now.

Attached Files:

2. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I vote 4" dropped Straight Axle. Nice score on the frame.

3. I just saw a thread over on Rusty Bowtie forum, re dropping Chevy front axles. As i havnt read it, i dont know if it would help you figure out what direction to take, but may be worth checking out.

4. I made a flat crossmember and used a transverse spring and dropped axle on my '34 pickup.

5. flamed34

flamed34

I was thinking about doing something similar or using a Model A cross member.

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I used the front axel and springs from a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup in my 34 Master. It has worked pretty well, but things still need some sorting out, though. The axel needs to be moved 2 inches forward.

Attached Files: