Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Check Out This '40 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobra_4, Mar 24, 2014.

1. cobra_4

cobra_4

I saw this baby at the Corvette Expo in Tennessee over the weekend, man was I drooling over it! Cool laquer paint from the 60's with patina that you can't recreate, this had the patina on it that you get from letting stuff sit for 30+ years. It had been in a barn since the 70's. The guy drug it out, washed it off, threw some new tires on it and fresh gas and boom, here it is. Personally I could stand a touch lower stance in the back, but the old school traction bars are super cool. 327 and a four speed, this baby is ready! Not too far off the money either!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone is interested in the rest of the pics from the show(warning, some non-hamb approved rides in there) CLICK HERE and HERE

2. cobra_4

cobra_4

One more pic I found I had.
    [​IMG]

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like a real decent 40--dlx dash and garnish mldgs and std front end--looks like a fair buy to me

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The front needs to be in the weeds and that scroll upholstery looks like shit. Other than that, nice car.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It needs a tire change and altitude adjustment.:D

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

couple of weeks and it would be looking good--uph is not for me though

7. that thing is sweet.
    Al.

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

boy...tough crowd today....looks pretty good IMO

9. It certainly has that 70s vibe about it.

10. cobra_4

cobra_4

Yeah, I mean like I said the stance sucks, but geez, use your imagination a little:D

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I dig it. It needs to be in the weeds, though... The 70's stance isn't doing it for me. I think it's a fair price!

12. I think that price is very fair and it even says OBO. Someone should have scooped up a solid '40 like that in a flash.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree-with all above--decent car for the price--probably sold I would guess---don't see a number there or I would call on it.

14. Come on guys, you want period -perfect, this is it! That paisley print interior is right out of 1968; even the Detroit boys were into it! Check out the ads from '68 - '70. (I think it's groovy... think twice before you tear it out..)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  15. the-rodster

the-rodster

Ahh, the split-window model.

That makes it worth more :)

Rich

16. .....That's true. If someone was diggin' on a period perfect '40 that car is it, especially with "too" wide rear and tires hangin' out the fenders. That's just the way it was back then. Guess I'm kinda dating myself now.:eek:

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'm likin' it, even the uppity profile for some reason.

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

I'm pretty sure that I saw it on Knoxville craiglist, you could check there.

Rich

19. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Unless you really like the look (paisley interior, 4 wheel drive stance), seems to me you're paying for stuff you will just redo. Suspension needs work, and once you take it apart, it will be hard to stop (wiring, detail chassis, new brakes/steering/ radiator, etc. etc.). Better to either buy a finished one like Olscrounger builds, or find a less expensive project to build your way. My 2 cents......

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. ....I saw that, Ha. That's the first time I think I've heard anyone refer to a '40 Coupe as a "split-window":D

21. That ain't paisley guys, it's brocade, like in Cadillacs, only in leather, not cloth. That was a high-end interior in the 70s.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

dual split window, one in front and one in back.

the 70's were my formative years, so I like it just the way it is and wouldn't worry too much about it needing slammed or what others thought. that interior is cool.

Maybe it needs some bias ply Kelly Superchargers with raised white letters. L-60 15 out back, G-60's up front..

23. Rusty

Rusty

That interior is sweet!!

24. I agree, Rusty. Could change my mind on what I eventually wanna do with my coupe's interior.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like the interior but a wheel and tire change along with a little lowering would help a bunch.

26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Ya know,

Usually I would agree with most of you. If a guy down the block built one like this today I'd probably wonder what he was smokig but...

This one does it for me in some weird-ass way. The only thing I'd change is rubber, I'd slap some skinny front runners and some 4-ply 'slicks' out back. Maybe change the wheels to a set of 5-spokes in the front and chrome wheels out back. Even the interior kinda grabs me.

27. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

leave those J.C. whitney extended shackles alone. they look even better once they've pick up a little grass and spider webs. maybe part of an old milk carton.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You have to remember that a lot of these guys are into "HAMB traditional". A few join and get so into it, they can't see or understand anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it does explain what seems like a "band wagon" attitude.

The only thing wrong with that car, is it isn't mine.

29. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

30. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

amen!!! I would leave it as is, being a kid in the early 70's that is what I remember my Dad's friends having.