Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ....The 2014 AMBR Winner is....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 26, 2014.

1. #917 Wes Rydell 1935 Chev Phaeton.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bangshift.com photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

beautiful car

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Wes can put that trophy next to his Riddler now. I have watched that car being built for the last couple of years at his toy shop. It sure was fun seeing it at the show yesterday.

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

beautiful ride

5. henryj429

henryj429

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Congratulations to Wes, Doug and all the guys at the Toy Shop!!

6. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I must be missing something

7. beautiful car but isn't America's most beautiful ROADSTER, supposed to be a roadster??? or is it open to any open car?

8. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

A very classic look. I'm sure tons of time and money. Congrats.

Not my cup of tea, but if every car WAS the same, B O R I N G.

9. A phaeton is a Roadster... technically.

10. Cool car,but I'm surprised the Chevy won.

gonna have to rename it The 2014 AMBP.:rolleyes: HRP

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice looking car, but I was hoping to see a hot rod win. Maybe Resto Rods are coming back. I'm glad I can't afford to follow trends.

12. Ron Lago

Ron Lago
    from Oregon

Has the Ridler been won by him??

13. I thought the definition of a roadster was a two seater with no fixed side windows or top. I don't mean to get bogged down in crap, I'd just like to know what their definition is.

14. Obviously a Phaeton is considered a roadster since they don't have roll up windows. HRP

15. Racewriter

Racewriter

There was only one car there worthy of being AMBR, and this one wasn't it. This year was my second trip to the GNRS. The first was in 2010. Any of the 2010 contenders would have won over this year's group.

16. Well, roadster means (to me) open car with removable windshield and no roll-up windows. A phaeton falls into that category except it has a back seat. Clear as mud? Phaetons have always been included in Roadster events. Take LARS for example.

It's kinda like all dogs have 4 legs, but not all 4 legged animals are dogs.. :)

17. I agree. I was at the showand saw all of the contenders in person, and they just didn't get me excited. Don't get me wrong, they were all incredibly detailed and amazing, but none of the contenders stopped me in my tracks.

There was one AMBR car in particular that I looked at and saw a BUNCH of very obvious flaws......and I was only looking at the decklid.

I want to see a Hot Rod take the big trophy, not a resto rod with hubcaps and steel wheels.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

boo...hiss

yeah, I'm an opinionated ass...but my Mother still likes me.

sometimes

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I thought the Ford phaeton had a lot more going for it until you read the crappy posters taking a shot at the judges.

20. Yes he won it with the Grand Master

Attached Files:

21. my thoughts exactly....but in the same breath, I'd say this one is America's Most Beautiful Phaeton for sure....:cool:

22. fleet-master

fleet-master

a phaeton isn't a roadster...its a Phaeton. Theres no such thing as a 4 door 4 seater roadster IMO.
    As for this years entries...meh ..... nothing against the people who built them or the judges or even the selection committee but they were a tad underwhelming...

If only Russ Freund"s waaaaay cool 'TakeOut T' had been in the mix this year...if only...

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

WTF?:eek:

24. It is a great car but those signs explaining everything he did was monotonous.....

25. I went ahead and deleted to save the bosses the trouble, just trying to keep some perspective.

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Meh.

Looking forward to the picture threads of the suede palace.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be eligible the criteria has always been Roadster, roadster pick or pheaton With the cut off year matching the last year of real Ford Roadsters I believe. Over the years there have been a number of tourings and phaetons entered in the AMBR judging.

28. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Not a ROADSTER in my book

Paul's car was the most difficult to build, nobody there had as many rare parts on their car as he did.

29. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

So if you hang enough rare and expensive parts you should win? It's that kinda mentality that kills me. I love all the details of Paul's phaeton but its really busy...lots of doodads that don't really help the flow of the design. If you showed up at the drive in in the forties with that thing you'd be laughed off the block! Theres alotta aspects of hot rod design...restraint is probably the toughest to master. JohnnyA