Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find Gasser...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrGasser, Oct 19, 2009.

1. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Well, it was in a barn for nearly 30 years, then got towed outside for an auction last Saturday...
    First pic is the car in the barn...was listed as a "1940 Ford Coupe Ex-Dirt Track Car"!!...
    Second pic is after I bought it, got it back to my shop, and cleaned it out...

It's titled as a '40 Chevy, but that is obviously a '39 Pontiac clip...but get this, in the first pic is an original steel Pontiac clip, but the yellow clip on it is FIBERGLASS! I've NEVER seen a 'glass front end for a '39-'40 Pontiac! It's 4-pieces, (no hood side panels)...

They found the 'glass clip in one of the chicken shed's and threw it on because the paint matched! I got the metal clip with it...

Looks like an old CAE front axle, (chrome), with 1/4 elliptic's, and, an early Olds rear on 1/4 elliptics...direct-drill 5-spokes on the front, chrome reverse on the rear, and orange plexiglass windows laying inside!

I got it RIDICULOUSLY cheap!...everything was going for DIRT cheap...don't know if it was the cold, no money, or what, but, I ain't complainin'!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. metal man

metal man

Very cool . Are you going to fix it and keep it this style ?

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Dude! Thats rad!

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Finally! A REAL barn find... great car and i'm glad it went to a HAMBr.

I hope you fix it up and take it racing. It looks like it needs a return to 1/4 mile glory.

-Chris

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Didja get that in Holly? Cool buy. I can see it with an blown/injected 455 and a 4-speed. Cool.

6. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Man thats bad ass and you said cheap ,:Deven better

7. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Pete...yeah, at that Holly auction...also got some '60's chopper parts, some Chevy artillery wheels...lota stuff there...

8. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

It's screaming Caddie engine.

9. cafekid

cafekid

dude kick ass its screamin for a 455 and a reunion with the 1/4mile

10. cafekid

cafekid

caddy would be cool but bein a poncho its already different enough so why not put another stump pullin poncho back in it:D:D

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a Sportster that needs some chopper parts...huh!

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mr Gasser glad to see you got more of the parts-looks much better. I went to the auction myself as they advertised a Corvette frame and engine (not true as it turned out). I saw your car with the bar and thought it would be a cool project but I have been dragging too much "junk" home lately. With the different front it makes more sense. You can do that car proud to be sure.

One reason for the cheap prices might be that a lot of the stuff looked as if you would have to follow along and pick up the leavins with a shovel.

One guy looked at the BBC in the garage and said to his friend "look at the size of that motor, it must be a 409".

Good score-Jim

14. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Looks like you got a great find & a great Price. I put 1/4 elipticals under the rear of my '55 Gasser. Basically just guessed on it. I mean it works & everything but would love to see how they did back in the day.

[​IMG]

15. S.F.

S.F.

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats dude! was it at the same place as that other gasser you were telling me about?

You should mock it up and get it to the detroit autorama!

16. DMFB

DMFB

That is an AWESOME find.

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

18. Badass!! Love the glass nose, wheels, roll bar, stickers and patina! Leave the old paint and throw some hand lettering on it. Would be cool with a supercharged Cadillac mill or maybe a blown 421 Pontiac. Keep us posted!........and sell it to me if you get bored! :D
    -Dean

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool find. Will be interesting to see this one evolve!

20. radical56chevy

radical56chevy

21. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Jim...I think that "Corvette Frame & Engine" was that '80's Chevy 1/2 ton truck chassis and rusty 350 behind the chicked shed!

Stephen...no, this was somewhere different...

22. wow, cool. hope you find the history on it. that would be real cool.

23. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I talked to the widow briefly, she didn't know alot about any of the cars...her husband was injured in a motorcycle accident 35 years ago, (quadriplegic), and work on the projects pretty much stopped other than a couple local kids and some nephews helping occasionally...

...haven't been able to find any old lettering or anything...a couple of my buddies who are old hot rodders and drag racer's were there, and they didn't remember the car...they had never seen a fiberglass '39 Pontiac frontend either!

24. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'd bet the reason it's got the black front clip is somebody sought out that poncho clip for the purposes of getting a mold made off it. So you actually have the pattern and the product.

Great car. Really great car. Good luck with it.

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Great Find. I know where there is a '61 Olds Starfire that is headed for the scrap yard, want the drivetrain? PM me

26. Most excellent! Look forward to following along. I hope you put it back to how it would have been back when it raced. Very cool and unique car, sure to stand out in a crowd. Glad to hear you got it cheap too.

27. badnews 31

badnews 31

very cool !! make us proud !!!

28. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

what did the 37 plymouth go for randy ???
    that is a cool ride for sure..good score

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009