Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gasser straight axle help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GEORGE TAYLOR, Mar 24, 2014.

1. GEORGE TAYLOR

GEORGE TAYLOR
    from MAINE

I am changing my leaf spring straight axle to a straight axle with 4 bar with coil overs.
    My vega cross steering box will now be in front of the axle.
    My questions are:
    - do i just move the pitman arm to point back instead of forward to get the steering direction correct? Or is there a special box needed?
    - can i/should i put the tie rods and the drag link in front of the axle or leave the tie rods behind the axle and just put the drag link and pinard bar up front?

Thanks in advance

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't know, but I used a 65 Bronco box so that I didn't have to use a huge drop pitman on mine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 69fury

69fury

if you're moving the box from behind the axle to the front of the axle, then you must flip the pitman 180 degrees- another box isn't required for that maneuver.

Then you need to move the connecting point of the box to the front of the tires as well. You can either move the whole tierod assembly to the front and use maybe a jeep tierod end (two holes, one for drag link, one for tierod).

Or you can do what i did and leave the tierods that connect the two tires where they are- and just add a steering arm to the front of the passenger tire. Connect that new steering arm to the box with your drag link. -rick

4. GEORGE TAYLOR

GEORGE TAYLOR
    from MAINE

thanks rick
    that is what I thought exactly. its just that I never seen one like that.
    you and I share a very, very narrow car.
    what is your front end?

also do you know the optimum caster to run?
    car front wheel weight is 1550#
    w/base is 95"
    it has a (slight) gasser front up stance although not much
    it is strictly a drag car runs primarily 1/8 mile

5. 7 degrees...or so

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Never ceases to amaze me all the great advice on the site and it's all available just for the asking.

This site is a lifesaver for many who are building cars and need answers and advice.

I guess the saying "Play It Forward" really works.

Jimbo

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have both of my gassers with the box up front, and arm pointed back to cross steer. One has the tierod behind the axle, and the other in front. I have my Falcon set at 6 degrees kingpin angle, but my Austin is 89" wheelbase, so I wanted a steeper angle to help it want to go straight, so it's at 10 degrees.
    The Vega box should work fine, but make sure it's mounted low enough to get the drag link fairly flat. Lots of pitman arm choices for flat or dropped arms on a Vega box, so you should have no trouble if your present arm doesn't work out.

8. 69fury

69fury

My front axle is a from a 65 Chevy G10 Van (econoline, Scooby's Mystery Machine, etc...) It had already been narrowed when i got it- never measured by how much though. It was narrowed to put the spring pads right underneath the framerails to make leaf mounting easier.

When i got it, it was still set up for stock side steering, using the Van box and a drag link up to the driver's tire, but the box was missing, and the mount was garbage. I also didn't want a column popping straight up between my knees like a Tbucket. I suppose i coulda found another box, a longer drag link and moved my fatass to the back seat and saved some fab work, but oh well.

I'm sure i'll be in the 7-10 degree caster range depending on what she wants when she hits the road.

I'm pretty sure mine's going to be an 1/8th mile terror as well, which is the only chance i'll have against my friends and their modern, turbo street cars that have to run it out the back end to get a good time. If i ever get enough cash to up the mill, i'll put some quarter mile gears in the quickchange rear and see if i can keep up.

To be honest- my one true performance goal is to launch and have people yell "HolyShit!"

-rick