Register now to get rid of these ads!

what makes the HAMB different?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 57ford/60thunderbird, Feb 14, 2012.

1. paintcan54

paintcan54

It's the vast knowledge, love for old steel, passion for custom cars, and drag racing, reading the stories of custom car builders and drag racers from the days when there was no "base, clear paint" and "300 mph rear engine cars" no super shops to build them in. The "HAMB" makes all this possible for them to share their "knowledge, pictures, and stories" so the young guys wanting to learn, can see how things was done back in the day, and help us "old guys" remember "the glory days of custom cars and drag racing."

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

3. MistShift

MistShift

The people, once you sift through the armchair "arbiters of good taste" sh*t.

4. squirrel

squirrel

it's the cookies

5. metalix_421

metalix_421

X2 shit there is even a thread to try to stump him. Speaking of havnt seen it for awhile.
    plus look at the metal work Ian Berky does, Alex Gambino: well he just gets props from me all around. look at what he has done just in the last year, and the people that he has helped.

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

The sheer volume and enthusiasm of the posts is self-perpetuating. I totter out of bed in the morning, and know I will always find lots of new posts to read with my stewed prunes and coffee. You know you can search for something and if you don't find it directly here, you'll find a link to it somewhere else. I have bought stuff, sold stuff, asked questions, answered questions and unfailingly meet new great people.

7. KMINAF

KMINAF
    from Utah

Diversity, experience, intelligence, wisdom, passion, and people who care.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The passion of the people that care. lots of hard core passionate old time hotrodders that understand the common emotion that most of us share.

9. Chris,
    There has been talk about starting a totally trad social group. I don't know if it happened you may search and if not start one and drop me a note. I'll come over and be the resident ass hole. ;)

I think what makes the HAMB different is that it has been around a long time and attracted people that are pretty dedicated to preaching the gospel of traditional rods and customs to hoodlums around the world.

You have to bear in mind that there was a HAMB that was not kinder and gentler at one time and the fellas that were not solid and determined to keep it real were weeded out. Some of us still come under fire about our rough exterior but one thing about it is that you know where you stand with us. We are determined to keep the tradition alive.

On a site where anyone and everyone is made to feel welcome you are not going to find that hell bent for nothing determination to make sure that when we are all dead and gone there will still be those who believe in and love what we hold close to our hearts.

Its a damned tough row to hoe, to quote my grand dad. Sometimes it is like talking to the wall, but someone out there some place in cyborspace will catch on and run with it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

People on here just get it. Get it?

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

The guys that were there back in the day.
    Paul

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

OH NO YOU DON'T !!!,........:mad:

You're our resident "A-HOLE",... And don't you forget it ! :D:D

13. I love the way we can mess with each other and still be friends............

Attached Files:

14. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I think the H.A.M.B. has improved alot, It has become more human and not so much a site were guys brag aboat their knowledge, friendships have been forged, and this in turn, has brought a lot of new members in. It has turn into a site were the social aspect of our hobby is also discussed, our personal preferences ,and different styles of building our cars, which in turn offers a nich for everyone. The listing and coverage of shows and events we can attend, or have the oportunity to view with someone posting pictures of it. A past view of the historic aspects of our hobby, and today's trends, all these things make the H.A.M.B. great and a fun and interesting web site to visit.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the other sites are for the crybaby mo fo's who came here and got a HAMB beat down for posting off topic crap.

16. Don't sweat it there is enough to go around.

I recall once that I told this tuff guy to kiss my A$$. He said, "Mark the spot you're all A$$." One of my closest friends smiled and said to me, "I thought you said that you didn't know that guy."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  17. All FNG's receive free membership in................................

Attached Files:

18. Just as I started humming Kumbaya. For all of you that walk around with that song in your head all day...you are welcome.

19. where else can you go to see a '32 being built in finland, a '53 pickup being built in italy, a guy banging a quarter panel using a big hammer and some plywood, look at a tv movie prop, a plane being converted to a camper, what poverty flats had for dessert, a guys bowel movements, and a geography lesson about how camada is morth of the umited states. all without leaving the comfort of your desk.

20. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

ITS NOT SECRET NOW, IS IT?!?! this is why we cant have nice things -_- hahaha

21. For me its because its hardcore geuine.
    Its the real thing baby!
    And like the songs says, "aint nothin like the real thing" !

22. ... about what?:confused:

23. umm what makes this site different, i thought it was pretty easy to figure out

i see alot of people saying the same thing just in different ways but thats not it
    allmost all car guys i know will help someone who is just starting out and doesnt know anything ,if thats how they act but you walk up to a guy whos been building /engines and cars since the 30's 40's 50's or 60's and tell him he doesnt know anything 93/4 times out of 10 hes not gonna tell you squat

theres more going on here then garage talk or bench racing or just carguy/gal stuff

i admit im not the most "traditional" guy here i just love cars and sometimes i feel like im being beat over the head with the "thats not traditonal stick"

but i feel i do fit in and am free to ask what i need to know and feel reasonably sure ill get some usefull answers from most who respond

i just wanted to see if anyone could nail "it" down for me

oh and you may not believe it but back in school over 20 years ago i was a very good english student now i just dont give ashit that why i dont use puncuation and such very often :D ;)

and squirrel, i think your partly right , i does have something to do with the COOKIES

24. Bowel Movements:eek:

25. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

If you have to ask, you won't understand....

26. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Other car sites??..You mean to tell me there are OTHER car sites?? Somebody's been holdin' out on me!!... Only one in my opinion: H.A.M.B.

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Nowhere else do opinions outnumber bellybuttons :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  28. Truckedup

Truckedup

I like the bull shit stories....Ya know,the 49 Chevy with a 235 that pulls the front wheels on the street ......down shifting into 3rd on a 4 speed at 140 mph with 3.55 rear gears.....stock smogger TransAm does 171 MPH.:D
    But there is a knowledge base I believe can't be found anywhere else.

29. autobilly

autobilly

The shear volume of specific "on-topic" information and expertise and perhaps the camaraderie.

30. Oh I understand:eek: