Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures MG at Bonneville - 1951

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You know part of me wishes that we could stand as close to the Black Line as shown in the video to really taken in the speed that these cars are traveling at instead of being a quarter mile out and seeing it from a distance......but the other part of me says that that would only take one accident to have me back at a distance again.

Old Crow brought (for me at least) the Belly Tanks back into the lime light a few years back. Who is going to step up and run a Vintage 4 or Flathead V8 in a old streamliner body? I would love to see these things scream across the salt like yesteryear. I am sure there are a few right now that I do not know about.

Thanks for the Video Ryan and hope you feel better tomorrow!

3. catdad49

catdad49

Stayed home myself this morning, hope you're feeling better. Did you ever notice all the racecars sounded the same in most of the old footage? Soup time for me. Later,Cat

4. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Old hell, at 60 he was just a spring chicken!

5. TV

TV

Ryan, thanks that was very cool. Have a Happy New Year.--TV

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA. (there is an MG thread somewhere on here that has lots of good info in it)

7. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

60 years old, 139 mph. That would make my day. I got 6 years left to pull that off. THANKS Boss. Feel better. Slim

8. DaveInc

DaveInc

Hope you feel better soon, Ryan! As an MG guy who knows a little of their history, they may not have been American, but those folks really were hot rodders in the truest since of the word. They were stuck with the small engines because of how cars were taxed so they really worked hard to wring the most out of them.

9. acerods

acerods
    from CALIF.

Hope it's not the flu!!
    Thanks for the vid.
    Get well soon.
    Big al the hillbilly

10. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for taking care of us Ryan. Feel better homie.

11. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Been feelin' a lil crappy myself. Hope you feel better soon & thanks for all you do on this freakin' great site Ryan!!

12. seatex

seatex

Hope it's a hangover and not Cedar Fever! Get well, Bossman..........

13. Pretty cool,Ryan! Can't believe how close the people are standing to the car as it goes by!!!!

14. El Brown-O-

El Brown-O-

With the white stuff outside my window being too unsalty, your choice was a great get-away. Thanks and get to feeling better ASAP.

15. I stumbled upon yet another video of "Goldy" & his MG @ Bonneville ... this time in 1952:

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/26Fe4xCnAIg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/26Fe4xCnAIg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Video clip from the J. Willard Marriott Library: excerpts from a silent film from the Burton Musser Audio Visual Collection. This film shows Goldie Gardner's preparation with his crew in Wendover and his speed trials on the Salt Flats at Bonneville Speedway. This item is protected by copyright. For more information regarding this film, please contact the Moving Image
    & Sound Archivist by email at [email protected] or by phone at 801-585-3073.