Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks for everything.....it was fun

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Doppleganger, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

Recently I had yet another thread deleted - no idea and of course its a state secret as there is never a reason given. I'm to the point that either the mods are nuts or someone likes to whine about....?!

Just bought an unfinished '57 4 door Bel Aire wagon I started taking pics of for a build project but have decided not to for fear it too will be deleted and I'm not wasting the time to post pics and describe the build if it can be wiped out on someone's whim for no reason at all.

I submitted a request that my account be deleted in general as I have no intention or interest in coming back here to post or otherwise. Any info that might be relevant will show up in Google.

So thanks to the fellas I've met and chatted with on the phone - you were loads of help and I still got your numbers so I'm sure we'll talk again. It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Perhaps in the future you will grow and blossom... Perhaps not. But for now, so long and good luck with the mustang II and your quest to turn an old car into a new one.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Good for you ryan

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Why not sorry dude ...not everything fits here...enjoy your project and good luck...

5. Dang, you're quitting the band for a solo act?

6. I think I just died a little inside.

7. It's a little late now but many of us have had threads deleted and it's no reason to throw up your hands and quit by firing off a heated PM to the moderators in some futile form of retribution,it always ends up with the user being banned.

The Hamb allows us the use of the forum at absolutely no cost and when something is deemed off topic or irrelevant the moderators have a job to do and ether close or delete the thread.

When Moderators are doing what they are suppose to do we should never take it personal,learn from the experience and move on. HRP

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Model T1 likes this.
  8. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

He has learned and... moved on.

9. Model T1

Model T1

I get a comment deleted now and then. I figure I posted something off topic or not important to the thread. But ain't no way I'm gonna pack my bags and leave this great forum.
    The bad part is a lot of my junk has been updated so I just keep quiet and don't start build threads. The moderators are here like us, to enjoy the HAMB and help keep it legal.
    Okay I sucked up. Don't delete my next off topic post. :rolleyes:

10. 117harv

117harv

X2, we all have different likes...good luck.

And will probably talk trash about the HAMB to anyone who will listen as most banned members do, let's hope not.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you haven't had a post deleated you haven't posted enough. Get over it, and move along. Bob

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Model T1

Model T1

By the time I post as many as you have now I'm sure a few more will be deleted. I write what's on my mind and sometimes my fingers walk before my mind wakes up! Still no reason to get all bent and leave.

13. Anyone one here who really thinks busting balls when someone is already upset wont help fire them up and cause them to say negative things about the site is even more delusional than said x member...Why be mean...I don't get it..

14. Joe Monstermaker

Joe Monstermaker
    from Seattle

I don't really understand the rules here to begin with.
    Use the wrong modern parts on your cool old car so that it actually works and it's not suitable is the impression I'm getting.
    A buddy and I over the last few years redid two Cadillacs, a '57 Eldorado convertible (starting with a rusty shell of a hardtop with its tailfins cut off!) and a '58 DeVille convertible. The '57 has airbag suspension and 22" wheels - but it also has an old 390 Cadillac engine with dual quads, and a Harley tank with custom seat and rear fender through the middle as a center console. It's beyond cool. But I'm sure it would get kicked off here because it doesn't have the "right" wheels and a few other modern pieces. As far as we're concerned, the car is so big it needs bigger wheels to look right.
    My own '55 Bel Air is mostly old school but it looks very "1975" to me. (Probably because not much on it has changed since then). The dual quads are Edelbrocks on an original Chevy dual quad intake, but it's got aluminum heads with center-bolt valve covers.
    It's got 8" 'Vette rallys with Radial T/As. Does my car belong here?

Model T1 likes this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Well Joe - let me help you with what you don't understand.
    The HAMB focuses on "Traditional" Hot Rod and Custom cars from the 1930's though the early 60's - up to 64

Did they have 22" wheels and air bags back then ? No
    390 Caddy engine - Yes
    Harley Tank in a custom car back then - possible
    As far as your concerned in needed bigger wheels to look right........fine for you but it it not a HAMB ERA style car.

As far as your 55....... 1975 is not old school
    Sure they had two fours back then prior to 64 but not 8" Corvette Rallys and T/A Radials in 64 so no it's not HAMB ERA nor is center bolt valve covers so no Joe.

Why don't you take some time and read the different sections of the HAMB so you can learn and understand what the HAMB is all about.

Thanks

Model T1 likes this.
  16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

At my age, I can't remember what I posted, much less whether or not any of it has been deleted! I'm just happy to be here!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 and shivasdad like this.
  17. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

"Did they have 22" wheels and air bags back then ? No"

That air bag statement is gonna ruffle some feathers. :)

One thing that I have seen is that ABC can post about a certain item, but when XYZ post the same thing, it gets deleted. ABC has 15,000 post, and XYZ has 50. And I may be wrong in my theory, but a new guy will his report button pushed a lot sooner than the old timer. My .02.

I also think that moderators only should have access to posting replies to the topics in this section. There are a number of moderator wannabes who constantly give worthless replies. Sort of like this one. Carry on.

18. Me too, Duncan. I'm just tickled that I woke up this morning, electic is still on and the 'puter works...
    Carry on....

Model T1 likes this.
  19. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

^^^yes....yes....yes!

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Waking up on the right side of the grass is always good!

21. Joe Monstermaker

Joe Monstermaker
    from Seattle

By the way - that American Graffiti '55 Chevy everyone loves, that I read so much about on here - is a LOT LESS era correct than my car! What year did the 427 big block Chevy appear?! Sure George Lucas cast it in a movie set in '62... but he made a mistake and you guys know it! All I've got is the wrong cylinder heads.
    I read every page of an awesome '55 gasser build by a guy in Maui named Willy. Love the car and it seems so does everyone here. It's got a big block Olds that's a few years too new, with aluminum heads. It's got modern brakes and modern ignition electronics too.
    Guess his terrific build shouldn't be here. It's "wrong".

22. Straight from the boss's mouth (emphasis mine);

Joe, I would take a long hard look at the text quoted here. Nobody ever said that every car on the HAMB "has" to be 100% period correct; rather, the guideline is that the car is built in a style representative of 1965 or earlier. Most guys are pretty understanding with regard to well-concealed modern components here and there; so long as said components don't stick out like a sore thumb - it's not a personal thing, it's editorial.

With regard to your car; it's nice, but the Corvette wheels & Radial T/A tires don't 'jive' with the pre-65 'style' and keep it just outside of our focus here. A few subtle changes would make it more in line with our 'gospel'; but the general tenor of your posts seems to indicate that you'd prefer it to be your way or the highway - and that type of attitude usually doesn't go over too well around here.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe this isn't the forum for you. We focus on the traditional here. It's not a personal thing, it's an editorial one... Folks that don't get that, usually don't stick around here that long. Seems to me, we've about outworn our welcome on your computer.

24. here we go again....negativity feeds negativity.....................

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's the thing... It's not a negative thing to regulate content to the focus in which we chose 20 years ago. Never have I said that even a "rat rod" is a shitty idea built with a guy that has shitty intentions. It's just a different genre that we don't focus on.

The problem arises when folks see our editorial decision as some sort of a personal attack and an opportunity to "prove us wrong" by posting against the focus despite our long standing rules.

I built this place to focus on traditional hot rods and customs. From that, you can either take it or leave it. To me, making that into a personal attack is a bit a ludicrous.

Model T1 likes this.
  26. wsdad

wsdad

It would be nice to know why our posts have been deleted - even if it's just one or two words. Posting a link to the forum rules page is the same as no explaination. While it's plain as day to the moderator while he's deleting it, the original poster doesn't have a clue. If he thought there was something wrong with it in the first place, he probably wouldn't have posted it.

I've had a couple of deletions. I'm not bitter or mad, just confused. A simple explaination such as, "Mustang II off topic" might have caused the guy above to slap his forehead and say, "Of course!" Maybe he hasn't figured out how to access his personal messages yet. Some of the wiser among us have a hard time finding the letter, "A" on thier keyboard but can build entire cars. Or, maybe he's just some kind of drooling idiot/rebel who would have gone on trying to post the same thing over and over again like the moderators imply.
    However, if a person is trying to do the right thing, a one or two word explaination would set him on the right track instead of leaving him bewildered. I'm not denying that there are drooling idiots or that there are those who enjoy strife, but the moderators could cut down on a lot off topic posts and disallusioned members with a simple one or two word explaination - at least from those of us who want to do right. Instead, they come off looking like they scoff about how simple minded and powerless we are to rebel against them. That may not always be what we're doing.

If the one or two word explainations would slow the moderators down too much, maybe they could do it on the second or third warnings, or are they already doing that?

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... We do that already man. I'd say 90% of all deletions come with an explanation. When they don't, it's typically because the moderator is using a phone or the post deleted is so obvious that the user NEEDS to read the rules.

In reality, anyone that gets this traditional thing will get exactly what we are about with a simple read of the rules and guidelines.

28. I've noticed even when you try to explain the rules to a FNG,even older long time members why something is off topic they want to argue about it.

If your post is deleted or closed,there is a reason..it's ether off topic or drama.

I suspect Ryan is getting a little tired of repeating the same thing over & over and it still falls on deaf ears.:rolleyes: HRP

29. Joe Monstermaker

Joe Monstermaker
    from Seattle

With all due respect, I'd like to ask for clarification about what flies here and what doesnt.
    Certainly lowered Civics with body kits and turbos do not, I get it that it's about old school hot rods and kustoms and that's great. But how far does the code of conduct go?
    Are we ok with radial tires? What parts newer than '64 are ok?
    This isn't intended as "pot stirring", it's just a genuine request for info on what cars and subject matter are appropriate.

Model T1 likes this.
  30. I think a lot of the problem is that some of the new people get in too big a hurry to post. I "lurked" for nearly two years before I registered and it was quite awhile after that before I made my first post.
    Read the rules.
    Sure, their are cars with late model parts (motors, trans, brakes, etc...) just don't post build threads about it.