Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old No. Eighty Seven

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Can't help you with info, but I like the look!

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That thing's about as slick as they come! Sheer badness

4. Peek Bros, sponsored by Kenz and Leslie. That issue of HRM is one I inherited from my dad. I have lusted after that car literally as long as I can remember. I have toted that one along with a few dozen others for close to 40 years and a dozen moves!

5. seatex

seatex

Well said, Mega-Nasty!

6. them lines are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

7. Here's a photograph of "Old No. Eighty Seven" that my father shot @ the 22nd Annual Bonneville National Speed Trials in 1970:

[​IMG]
    The Peek Brothers B-motored (426ci Plymouth HEMI) Fuel Roadster (B/FR)
    ... set a new class record with a two-way average of 213.248 mph!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

if it runs like it looks .... It might go fast.
    sweeeeet, i like old #7
    THE PUSH TRUCK AIN'T TO SHABBY EITHER.

9. Wesley

Wesley

The Peek Brothers B-motored (426ci Plymouth HEMI) Fuel Roadster (B/FR)
    ... set a new class record with a two-way average of 213.248 mph!.... Apparently it did set some rcords along the way.

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Nice photo. I actually like the Cragars on it and I am not even that big of a fan of Cragars. It probably would look better with more simple wheels, but for some reason the Cragars give it it's proper place in time.

And I'm digging that blown Corvette in the back ground too.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

11. Yep ... the 200 MPH Club roster indicates that both of the Peek Brothers received "red hats" ... Jerry in 1969 @ 209.250 MPH ... and Greg in 1970 @ 210.500 MPH.

12. The Peek Bros also ran Pro/Stock for many years. I seem to remember selling them a bunch of fiberglass. Damn I'm gettign old.

13. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I have loved Bonneville roadsters of all kinds, but this one was special to me because it's a '29. I remember the Hot Rod cover photo. I love how they have smoothed out the cowl and taken off the "eyebrow" from under the stock windshield. The 29 is a smaller frontal area than a 32 but the "eyebrow" disrupts the air flow and induces drag. There was an article in Hot Rod a couple of years back where a 29 was tested in a wind tunnel and that "eyebrow" was proven to induce drag. In the fuel roadster class you can smooth it out; but not in the street roadster class.

In the photo posted above, the Cragers do date the roadster, but so does the original Triumph Triple in the background.

14. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Great looking rod. Look at the caster in the front axle.. Wow....

15. Those Cragars look perfect on that car, certainly make it an easily identified time period photo. Damn, I need to make it to the Bonneville soon.

16. Not to take away from the roadster, but your original 'tone' of the paragraph rings a bell for me in that I have been dreaming/lusting after another such car, such that I am aiming to build a duplicate based around everything this car teases me with...Sheldon Schmit 34 Ford 3 window coupe (with 33 grill), ironically, made the cover of 'Popular Hot Rodding' in October 1962, with no article or further detail...

damn tease...

[​IMG]

There was a 4 page article in Hot Rod mag (same month), but am yet to find any further info or reffernce on the car....but as they mentioned, "it looks fast just sitting there!!"

good enough for me.....just gotta find myself a 3 windowbody and I'll have the last piece of my puzzle ;):D:)

Cheers,

Drewfus

HunterYJ likes this.
  17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

18. Chuck R

Chuck R

My favorite Hot Rod cover of all time!
    I have had more than one dream of turning this look into a street car. I just dig the hood and the 29 grill shell.
    Chuck

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  19. Here's a few more Peek Brothers pics:

HRM_December_1968_pg74 .jpg Peek_Bros_#87_B'ville_Roadster-1963_Plymouth_426ci_engine_(1968_photo_by_Eric_Rickman).jpg
    Peek_Bros_with_their_#87_B'ville_Roadster_(1968_photo_by_Eric_Rickman).jpg Peek_Bros_#87_B'ville_Roadster_(1968_photo_by_Eric_Rickman).jpg
    HRM_November_1969_cover.jpg HRM_November_1969_pg30.jpg Peek_Bros_200_MPH_Club_pics_(from_1971_program).jpg

NOTE: Sorry for the repeats.

20. Man, that thing is cool. So is the truck!

21. jim galli

jim galli

I miss my '56.....

Spoggie likes this.
  22. gapeek

gapeek

In 1966 when I was building the car I had no idea that I was doing anything that would become famous, I just wanted to go racing and have a nice car! I appreciate all of the nice comments about the little blue roadster after almost forty years since we last ran at Bonneville. I'll sit down later tonight and post an accurate history and update of the car's current status.

Greg Peek, youngest of the three Peek Brothers
    Castle Rock, Colorado

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. Wow!! Thanks for chiming in! I look forward to hear about the car's current status.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nice to have ya Greg!

25. WOW! I love this place! Greg, thanks for chiming in here. Looking forward to all your history and info!!!!! Did I say WOW! yet?

26. So do you still have the car? If so that is so cool. Have you been racing at B-ville since then? Great to have you on board. Welcome!

27. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Perfect, waiting for your story...... We have been studying pictures of your car for a future drag car build....

28. Chuck R

Chuck R

Ryan, thanks for posting this pic.
    Seeing this again after all these years has really rekindled a firestorm of memories. It was a great time to be a kid, things were much simpler. Continuing my thoughts from before:
    I was 14 years old when this issue of Hot Rod came out and it was my favorite cover then, and still is, There is something so perfect about this car. The shape of the hood stream lining the stock cowl, the model A grill, the color, the chrome, the exposed exhaust. It all worked together to form a piece of Hot Rod art. For many years I have dreamed of building this as a street car, someday maybe I will have that opportunity. It looks fast sitting still and is still my favorite Hot Rod race car. I can't wait to hear the whole story.
    thanks
    chuck

[​IMG]

29. That push truck is cool too, I think that needs to take a lap as well

30. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

now, how cool is that? welcome and we'll be looking forward to hear from you about this awesome car!