Register now to get rid of these ads!

posting embedded video

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by roseville carl, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Ok... so I've been trying for about an hour and half to post a video from Youtube. I've looked everywhere that I could think for the movie reel icon and I've got nothing! Any insight?

I've gone to the "manage attachments" link 2 million times & tried every variety of url label I could and nothing works.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple!

3blap.

2. First, open your video in YouTube.

Hover your cursor over the URL in the address bar at the top of the window. It will look something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0PpC4yf04

Click once, which will select the entire address and then click a second time to deselect.

Now place the cursor just to the right of the = sign. Then click and hold the left mouse button and drag the cursor to select everything to the right of the = sign. It will appear highlighted on your screen.

Release the left button, right click the mouse and then left click "COPY" on the menu that appears. This copies your selection to your computer's clipboard.

Now click the "Go Advanced" button to open a reply window on the HAMB. At the top of the window click on the "movie reel" icon to display the opening and closing tags for the video link. They'll look like this:

(YT)|(/YT)

except with brackets "[ ]" instead of parantheses. Place your cursor between the tags, right click and then click "PASTE" to enter your selection from the clipboard between the opening and closing tags. You should see something like this;

(YT)6A0PpC4yf04(/YT)

...only with brackets enclosing each tag. If I used the brackets here you'd be seeing the embedded video above this instead of what I'd typed. Then preview your post to make sure everything is working properly.

3. 3blapcam

3blapcam

That's a very thorough explanation, but I do not have a movie reel icon under my "go advanced" button!?

Why is that? Do I not have the privileges?

3blap.

4. Sooo... I guess I kind of overlooked that part of your original post.

Could be a browser issue. Maybe try clearing your cookies and temporary files. Or maybe try using a different browser if you have one. Just had a similar experience with a missing button on my Photobucket account while trying out the Seamonkey browser. Opened the same page with Avant browser and the button magically reappeared. :eek:

Or if you want to feel like a real internet wizard, just try manually typing the opening and closing tags, using the brackets instead of parentheses, at the beginning and end of that little bit of web address that you selected and pasted in. ;)

We don't need no stinkin' movie reel icons! :D

5. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Ok... so I had tried that earlier... because I read some stuff in this thread, saw a pattern and tried it unsuccessfully. HOWEVER, I just tried it again because I noticed that you had a back slash in the following brackets that I didn't do originally, and it worked! I feel enlightened! It'd be a lot easier with the movie reel icon though... :)

Thanks ClayMart!

3blap.