Register now to get rid of these ads!

SHOW RODS 60 & 70s..stories - pics ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meatball, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Ok some of you know Im doing a pie wagon full size car,So lets hear some KOOL stories or see pics of the golden era of goofy show cars...whata got? :D

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and EVL401 like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My dad retired from the Air Force in Sept. of '74. My mom talked him into moving to Houston, Texas. My dad liked to work on cars and had a '65 Nova he tinkered with. My mom made him sell it when we moved. He never got over that and it was his last time messing with old cars, what with raising a family.

In November of that year, he took my brother and I to our first car show. The Houston Auto Rama. I've been to every show, except for the 10 years I was in the Navy. My dad told us about the cars and all the work that went into them. It was awesome. I know our eyes were big as saucers. We spent over 4 hours there and finally my dad said we had to leave.

I had just gotten into liking T Buckets and the C Cab showcars like the ones you posted were always my favorites. One night I was in our kitchen drawing hot rods and my dad told me that if I kept my crap together, I could build one one day. Well, it took me 30 years and my crap must be together because I'm finally building one. I just wish he was here to see it. When I finish my T Bucket, I'm going to show it at the Auto Rama. Not for a funky plaque, but in his memory.

Thanks for reminding me about the mission I'm on to complete it.

chryslerfan55, EVL401 and hallrods like this.
  3. Chuck R

Chuck R

My Favorite, which also inspired many drawings as young boy.
    The Uncertain T
    chuck
    [​IMG]

-Brent-, chryslerfan55 and EVL401 like this.
  4. Chuck R

Chuck R

Or maybe Ed Roth's Mysterion! I built a model of this as a kid. I loved the asymetrical look. Remeber this was the 60's, it was kind of a wild time, at least what I remember.chuck[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Rikster

Rikster

I have some form the Fuzzy Photo Collection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rikster

Rikster

7. thanks for chimin' in on this,Rikster those are some kool shots.heres a couple more that I grew up diggin'

Attached Files:

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Acid...Drugs are bad.

9. Must...resist...urge...for...silly C-cab...Must finish...other projects...first!

10. This IS my other project (except the trailer)........ya see richard it all started early one morning when I couldnt sleep I was watching a old movie with the "barris" ZZR show rod .........:D

11. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Holy crap....i'd forgotten about the tow truck.
    Remember setting up at the Omaha Autorama in'75. We were right across from a circuit car, the "Chicago Fire" 23t, blown something,etc. They were humping it on the display all day long, he looked like a truck driver , she looked...well, ya know. 5 o'clock rolls around, and they come in to be with the car. He looks like Elvis, and she's smokin :eek:
    Hasd to listen to the Ohio Players "Fire" ad nauseum that weekend
    Good Times

12. UK Comet

UK Comet

I was brought up on Hotwheels as a kid and I really like some of the 'Kooky' show cars of the 60's & 70's, but what the hell is this???
    Two Hemi's, Four Blowers and a Sh*tload of Fur? That's one step too far, even for me!! :eek:

deadbeat likes this.
  13. Yeah man.but dig them 15x15 cragars and those pipes!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :D

14. Which movie was that?

15. OOPPSS I meant ZZR!!! it was outa sight

Attached Files:

• zzr.jpg
      zzr.jpg
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Oggie

Oggie
    from Nor Cal

I remember most of these from the Autorama programs I used to get as a kid. They were quite the inspiration for a young mind. I love the stance on the majority of them.

17. Plowboy

Plowboy

18. I dont know but Im thinkin during my visit to the MOON XMAS PARTY I gotta figure my way into that basement......how about plowboy and fitz joinin me??....we have enough showrod guys here to make it fun

19. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

Grandpa's coffin...................my fav

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A friend of mine bought the "Surf Woodie" a few years. He has since moved from the Houston area and we've lost touch. The car was pretty complete, had all the unique engine, body, chassis stuff but the engine block and heads were gone. Needs full restoration of course.

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I still want to know WTF this is, any mor pics? Maybe a name of the thing?

22. showrod

showrod

plowboy, I saw that in r&c I always wondered what happened to that car It was called x-treme actually built by dick scully for Bob Iden its a chicago area car but I DONT THINK THAT IS THE SAME CAR! I realize it may have evolved further and maybe never reached completion but it seems to far off. I wish I could see a rear shot of the R&C car {taken at a goodguys event.}

Attached Files:

23. ya know they are close but I dont think its the same car (been wrong before!) I think both are take-offs of Stuckey's (Farber's) Lil Coffin............darrel who???

Attached Files:

24. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

pasadenahotrod -- when did he own it? my dad and I went to the harrahs auction to try to buy the surf woody in 84. We could only come up with $4000 , and it sold for $4800 . the same guy also bought the calico surfer.
    If I can find a scanner I will try and post the pic I have of me and the woody. I was 12.

A side note.... my 3 year old saw the pic of the bathtub buggy, and said "thats a loud bath tub!" I'm starting him early.

25. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I would sure like to take that twin hemi 6 tired sofa to a burn out contest! the tuners wouldn't stand a chance!

26. yblock292

yblock292

UHG..........Dave Stucky here in Wichita built the Lil coffin for my neighbor Larry Farber, Starbird butchered it and cut the top off.

27. your right...stupid mistake.....and yeah it got messed up over the years.......Any pics from the orig show days??

28. :D at least george loves this stuff heh heh heh :D

Attached Files:

29. showrod

showrod

Meatball,scully and Puhl both worked for Starbird so the lil coffin may have been a take off on x-treme not sure which one was first.

30. found this.it came off the model car site (showrods.com) for barris trading cards.The SEX MACHINE:p

Attached Files: