Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wan't my brother to build his hot rod "need help"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Mar 23, 2007.

1. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

My brother has a 40 ford pick up that my dad gave to him when he was 20 years old. When he was around 21 he sand blasted the frame and painted it yellow and orange. His plan was to paint the body black. It sounds like he was off to a good start right.

Then he moved away to las vegas and took the 40 ford with him.

Well He is now almost 39 years old and the frame is all rusty again and the body is still origanal but is in good shape. He has all the parts for the truck. I wan't to get him to build that thing but I am wandering if he has what it takes to do it. I know he is capable of doing it. He has been an awsome painter his whole life. He is allways saying that he want's to build it but never works on it.

My question is how do I get him to understand hot rodding and how do I get him to bring the truck in and work on it. I baught him a painless wire harness for chrismas last year to try to get some intrest but nothing yet.

I am 27 years old and have a model A project in the works and a 32 ford coupe pile of rust I'm building and a 32 pick up. I am half his age and am doing it.

Why is it so hard for me to get him to understand why we do what we do. Why we work so hard on these cars and spend so much time on them. I think it is hard for him to understand what the profit of it is. The self graditude. The feeling of accomplishment. Any one on the HAMB knows what I'm talking about.
    Thats why I need your help. From one hot rodder from another. We may be different ages and different knowledge levels on here but we are all hot rodders. That makes us powerfull as a group.

I need your help please post some comments and ideas for me.

I'm trying to spread the hot rod tradition but I need influence.
    here is a pic a long time ago [​IMG]

2. john56h

john56h

You mention your brother is a painter....does he paint cars for a living?

If he does, maybe the last thing he wants to do after work, is work on more cars. Some people tend to get burned out a little and have no enthusiasm for their own projects.

Also, does he have other priorities in his life, that perhaps you do not have? Wife, kids, house, side jobs, etc... It's also VERY difficult to even think about a project if there is no time or money to realistically utilize.

It could be that right now, your brother's enthusiasm for the project is just limited to NOT selling it, so it will be available for the future.

3. bigolds

bigolds

You can show a man to water, But you can't make him drink! See if he'll let ya buy it from him and you start it.....If he starts showing interest in it(real interest) sell it back to him. If he won't sell leave him alone. It would be a bitch to see a gift from Dad turn to rust though!!!!

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Accurate advice here so far.
    I'll just add: have you asked him what would it take to get it done?
    Maybe he needs nothing more than a carport to work under. Maybe he has everything but the air compressor.
    Nothing will slow him down like prodding and shoving.

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

Maybe when you finish your projects and he see's you driving around he'll get jealous..

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Maybe you should build it and keep it for him???or at least get the project started,and maybe he would fall in and help and/or at least pay for parts etc....

7. Your brother is keeping the truck because your father gave it to him. But he does not share your dream or your Dad's and left with him it will never get done. He has guilt but no passion. Why don't you see if you can work a deal that will keep it in the family and also back on rubber and on the road.

8. Have you taken him to any events or functions that might spark his enthusiasm?Have you introduced him to the HAMB?Other than that,take him on a shop tour of fellow rodders(HAMB shop tours?)to give him some ideas.:D

9. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Everybody isn't interested in the same things. If we were, the world would be a very dull place and hot rodding can't be forced upon anyone. I have little interest in owning a Deuce but go crazy for vintage circle trackers, fat fendered Fords, some '50s-'60s stuff, etc. . Not knowing your brother's priorities such as his wife, kids, home ownership, college funds, golf, boating or whatever,it's pretty hard to comment as to why he's not into building the '40. Maybe finances also enter into the picture. Were it me, I'd make him a decent offer for the pickup and let it go.. Even if he decides to hang onto her for now, you'll likely end up with her in the end.

10. 1st thing that comes to mind....... how busy is your brother? I mean honestly.
    I LOVE cars and trucks and wish I could wrench every day of the week. Then, life rears its ugly head. I'm married, have a 6 yr. old and a 4yr. old, and I work 3-24 hr. shifts a week as a street medic. My wife works 3-12's a week. We have a 80 yr. old 4 bed 2K sq. ft. home we're in the middle of remodeling........... but I'm off my point.
    Is your bro simply too busy? Some people are simply not in a position to "make" time for a project. Another possibility, maybe he thinks it wont turn out nice enough to be a fitting memory/tribute to your dad.
    Leave him be for a bit. Tell him you want to be the ONLY guy on the list of people he'll sell to, but leave him be.

11. unklgriz

unklgriz

You can't make anybody build a Hot Rod. It took my brother almost 15yrs to start building his '36 Ford sedan. Ya, we talked to him about it, and ribbed him when we would stand in our garages having a few beers, but life got in the way for him. Hell, the three of us would got to rod runs, drag races, swap meets, you name it, but doing things with and for his family was important for him. Then he surprised us one day and started on it. Now all it needs is paint and interior. He may just not be ready to do it yet.

Larry

12. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

You guys are all so great thank you for all the support reading this has made my realize that mabe I'm just to excited about my project that I just want my family to be doing things with me I'm a hot rodder.

I have two brothers and one sister and they all live in vegas.

I think that he will build the fourty ford truck I just need the right bait.
    My sister and her husband bought a 57 chevy and she loves it she knows now what it is like to be a hot rodder.

The reason why I'm building the model A is because my dad gave that car to my oldest brother his first born and he dosn't have the hot rod intrest. Thats ok with all of us but at leased he allowed me the oppertuinty to build the car for all of us. He knows how important it is to keep it in the family. When I am done with it we will all be able to drive it together. So mabe that will be what my other bro needs to start the fourty.

I know he has the intrest and I know he works realy realy hard every day and mabe he is just to tired to do it but I know my brother and I don't think it is money time or tallent that is stoping him. I don't know what it is. mabe he just needs more time. Mabe I am not as fast paced as him. But then again I'm a little crazy about these cars.

here is a pic of my brothers dawrf car so I know he got the intrest. [​IMG]

13. Goldy

Goldy

Hey Kenny from Philly, I finally got to read some of this stuff you are discussing about the Model A, the rusty 32, and the chopped top forty pick-up. I always wondered if I did the right thing giving you guys these cars. After all they have been my passion all of my life and I know that you Kenny have inherited that passion, but maybe not with Ricky and Pauly. I am so impressed with Tina, she has the passion with her 57 Chev ( stuped me did'nt give her a hot rod because she was a girl ). Anyway reading this stuff brings a tear to my eye to read all the responses. If Ricky does not want to build the 40, we will have to do it for him !!!!!!!!!! I'm just glad that these rods did not get sold off for quick cash. You have my respect and love for that - - - Goldy from Philly - - your DAD

14. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I know he will build that truck it is in his heart. I beleive that he dose want to build the truck. Its just a matter of when. Or time. I realize this now.I think that mabe that he's just not ready yet. I think it may be what he needs to get some self gradifacation. I know that hot rodding is one way that I can have a time out in life. It seems to calm my nerves. As long as you don't take it too far its OK.

I have to constantly stop my self from spending too much time with my hot rod. There are more important things in life like spending time with your family and friends or paying your bills or chores around the house things like that. This is a cool hobby of mine that I want to share with every one! Just want to spread the hot rod tridition the best way I can.

15. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I have been thinking about this post for a few days now and I have figured out why I wan't my brother to build his 40 ford pu so bad.

It's because he is so tallented in all the things he has dose. I think that he can build the most awsome hot rod one that will make me julous. he allways has orignal Ideas. He is an artist at what he dose. He always has that one Idea that will make the project cool. I just want to be a part of that dream and go cruising around in it. That would be cool.

please post more this is helping.

16. Sincity57

Sincity57
    from Austin

I wish he had the passion too gbones. I think his problem is he is struggling to live the lifestyle he wants. Rick likes to have nice things, the nicest. He has to work long hours and hard to make the money to do it all. He works many side jobs to do this. He has so many hobbies and toys, it depends on which week it is to which the money gets spent on. It's the same with the Galaxie. He wanted to sell it and Tina and I talked him out of it. We spent the entire afternoon getting it running and tuned up after 15 years of sitting. You should've have seen how happy he was. That was a good feeling to think we were helping him feel the passion. We thought we had him started, cuz he was talking about it all the time. Then we bought him some parts for Xmas. I knew when I was buying the parts, the only way they would be put on the car was if I put them on for him. I started feeling like the only way he was going to fix the car up is if I did it for him. So instead of getting frustrated with him about it, because he wasn't fixing the car up, I made a deal with him. Since I can wrench and can't paint well, I'll be his mechanic and he can be my paint and body guy. Seems to have been working well so far. His car gets the mechanical work it needs and our 57 chebby gets the love it needs in the paint dept. Don't worry, he'll come around. Everytime we pull up in the 57 with it looking better then the last time he saw it, he wants to work on his. He finally got the Galaxie registered!!! We'll help him get that 40 on the road too!!

Hey Goldy, its never too late to pass down one of those hot rods to Tina. The 57 is gettin close to being done and She'll need somethin' else to fix up

17. Crankhole

Crankhole

See if you can get him to go to Viva next weekend. That might motivate him.

18. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

here are some up to date photos of this truck. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

hey guys the fish took the bait. it seem to be working. I'm excited for him this is cool. He sent me tis letter in the mail. [​IMG]

20. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I was going to say, just take him to a car show. That always gets me excited to work on my own car. Especially when you don't see any shoeboxes.

-Rick

21. Old School 40

Old School 40

Just trippin, is that picup chopped ?

22. keep after him kenny!maybe take him for a ride in your coupe if he sees how much fun it is to cruise around in a hot rod he will get the bug,and when he does get the bug i hope is is as passionate about hot rods as you!

23. bigedpa

bigedpa

it's in the blood. my pop, uncle & friends built many a car in the 50's w/ 2x as many stories. he raced a B altered coupe w/ a buick 8 and lasalle tranny. stripped a 50 panhead flh to 360 lbs triumph front end peanut tank 60 over, chevy valves and shaved gears (no clutch required, hang and bang) so i know why i do what i do. your bro may or may not get it, but he still has the truck...so he gets it a little.
    Goldy, gbones,hotrodsurfer, i've got a 42 chevy 1/2t pu waitin for work to be done. i need a home for her. if you know of anyone one w/ some inexpensive garage space in the trevose area, please let me know. or just stop by, a cold beer, a good story and some good ideas are a day well spent.

24. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

Nice to see that your bro is getting back in the game. one question tho i think i see a dirt bike jump in the background of that one pic. i race moto myself and its so expensive to do both moto and cars so maybe moto is a little cheaper and less time consuming but if he rides bikes, one day he will get into the cars. once you have the bug you never lose it. sometimes it has to take a break before it gets going again.

25. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Think he is getting the bug now. Says he is clearing place to start work on it. keep in touch and let us know if any of us on the HAMB can help! 40 ford trucks one of my favorite. Needs to get on road again.

26. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

good luck with him.... buildin with family RULES

27. spudshaft

spudshaft

Looks like a great project. I think the frame still looks good too

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It is hard if the interest is gone.

29. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Well guys I think it is time to tell you all that my brother goldfinger has finely made room for the 40 in his garage. On his 40 bithday goldy and sincity 57 got together and moved the 40 into his garage. as a surprise. suprised as he was mabe he wasn't ready to start the project just yet, but mabe this is just the thing he needed to get the project on the way. As pushy as this may all seem to be goldfinger is the one who wants to work on this project. sometimes people just need support from others who have common intrest. hot rodding is in your blood not somthing you can make some one do. Goldfinger if you ever read this thred I hope you understand that the HAMB are all here for support. and not to take some of these posts as negative. every one on the HAMB has very busy lives. some of us work on our projects more than others. some of us work on our projects for years. but alot of the time we do it so we can escape reality of life and feel good about somthing. hot rodding is not our sickness it is our hobby. enough said gbones32coupe.

30. MYOB.
    Nothing else to say. Only car that should matter to you is the one in your own garage.