Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8 60 Transmission and clutch to replace original In Out transmission

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Opalshade, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Opalshade

Opalshade

Hi
    I have a 1945 v8 60 it has " in out " transmission at the moment and I would like to put this on the road so need clutch and gearbox Can anyone help or know of anyone who could help
    I'm in England and finding it hard to get information
    Or can it not be done
    The answers I have had so far are:-

1. The only one that I have seen was built with a custom multidisc clutch and a Baker Harley motorcycle gear box. Not to say it can't be done but the cost would outweigh the value of the car.( I could do this but I think cost would be too much)

2. You could put a 1939 Ford transmission in it or a 35-36 ford transmission with 1946-48 gears inside. ( i have not much of a clue what I am being told here Help gratefully received)

Kindest regards
    David Atkinson
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

2. You will need a transmission made for the V8-60 as the starter is made different,,,,
    Look for an original Tranny made by Ford for the 60 engine,,A 39 tranny will not work.
    That in-out box was not made by Ford,,,it was made just for sprint car racing..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  3. Opalshade

Opalshade

Thank you for the advice
    By any chance you would know where I could get the parts?
    And will they bolt straight on ?

Thank you
    David

4. Yes,when you find a stock 60 tranny,it will bolt up,,,I have a 60 tranny here but is a long way from you..Any Ford 37-40 that came from factory as a 60 hp will have the tranny you need..

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Your thumbnail will not enlarge for me so I cannot tell if your midget has had the bell housing cut off the back of the block as was done with many of these cars on this side of the pond. The bell housing on the V8-60 was not separate.

If the bell housing is intact, your main problem will be fabricating a suitable operating lever which usually was a hand operated lever outside the cockpit.

6. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Looking at vintage Ford as a system, there are other ways to go, but all relies on the engine having its flywheel housing part of the engine intact. The common treatment of a racing 60 was to cut off the housing. From that point you may be pretty much away from Ford but into Midget hardware. Not at all my experience. I have seen 60s in other kinds of race or rod application that used a '38-'39 Zephyr starboard shift trans which gives some leg room. The starter might be a hi-torque modified for a 60, if a starter is to be used. From there a modified post Model T drive shaft could be attached. Gets pretty complicated in its simplicity. The most difficult part would be the Zephyr transmission and the unmolested 60 block. I see about one Zephyr trans per year here in California. I can only imagine what your may have available. Good Luck: Fred A

7. Opalshade

Opalshade

Thank you all for your advice
    I now know the bell housing has been trimmed
    I think I will have to make something up to attach a 3 speed and clutch
    Cheers
    David

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I just got back to your thread, and I see your block has been trimmed and a bell housing adapted. You can probably adapt most any trans to your current bellhousing. Gary