Register now to get rid of these ads!

Black Friday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 26, 2010.

1. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Black Friday? I thought that was a nickname for the post-turkey day food coma hangover that I am recovering from. Massive amounts of turkey consumed in one day = Black Friday. Even coffee doesn't make me feel better today. The bird kicked my ass.

2. I'm working today . Never have been sucked into the Black Friday marketing show !

3. 53studecoupe

53studecoupe
    from Eagle WI

I have only heard about it from my wife. The lines, the rudeness....spending my hard earned money. No comment.

4. fbama73

fbama73

No way would I go out shopping in that stupidity! I'd rather juggle badgers.

Now, I'll go to the parts store today, but they don't have "doorbusters" or some similar manner of bullshit.

5. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I think its from when budgets were ( still are ? ) done in black and red ink. Lots of sales put your profits out of the red column , and into the black.

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

There were people camped out Tuesday afternoon at Best Buy for the sales this morning!
    Are you kidding me? They could be giving away TV's for free but you'd never find me in that line. I hate lines.

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

To honor the truest tradition of Black Friday shopaholism, I'm ordering my long-sleeve Norwell tee via my laptop from a tent on the sidewalk in front of a Best Buy.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I sent mine out into the cold a couple of hours ago. The difference is she works at Nordstroms and has to deal with all the idiots out there! Juggling badgers for sure! As for me, my step brother made regular coffee instead of decaff after dinner last night - then told me after my fourth cup!!! Sleep came about 4:00AM. So not only did a bird kick my ass, but sleep deprived too... Sounds like a great day to turn up the heat and nap!

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Mrs Jalopy and I tried it once, now we use our head and do all of our Christmas shopping Amazon.com. No hard to find parking spots, no COLD, no long line, and no rude people.

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Never saw me a line at a big box store. And this economy ain't my fault either.:)

11. Deuces

Deuces

I waited for Target to open up this morning at 4:00 am to pick up on a couple tv's.... By the time I got in there, they were all snagged up.. :mad:

12. Dirk35

Dirk35

Our Sears runs good deals, but the wake up to get there before they sell out and stand in line isnt worth it to me.

My wife loves it though. She went to bed at 6pm Thurs just so she could get up at 11:30pm to make the midnight sales andd stilll shop all day. Weird.

13. I took advantage of the "doorbusters" on powertools at the local hardware stores.
    What's great about "man stores" is that we all know what we're getting and then, we get the hell out (no long lines).

14. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I don't recognize "Black Friday, I celebrate and wish all a Happy Elastic Waistband Day - Formerly known as the day after Thanksgiving.:D

Whats real sad is there were big box stores open on Thanksgiving, What ever happened to peaceful holidays.:rolleyes:

15. You've never seen ME out there on Black Friday. No way. BUT, I wonder if I can make a grip of cash next year selling hot cocoa to those out there freezin their balls to save $20? HMMMM. BTW, I've never been more proud of Ryan, coming out with this non hot rod, Groucho styled rant. I love you man. Happy Holidays EVERYONE!

16. hahahahahahah, that's awesome!:D

17. burnout2614

burnout2614

I will spend daylight til dark touching,feeling, buying car/bike parts at junk yards and swap meets. Anything else I use the damn internet!!!! 5 yrs ago I wouldnt touch the internet! peace

18. That's pretty funny!

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

now why can't the junkyards have these kinds of sales? not until at least noon though, for those who overindulged in the bird and the pig.

20. bobber's54

bobber's54

It started here in IL last night around 11pm on route 88 southwest of Chicago! All 3 lanes backed up 4 miles to get to the off ramp for the mall . We were on our way home and and spent at least 40 min to get by it all . No way to get off the toll road. I have no idea why anyone would wait in line to get into a mall already packed. Just pure insanity!!

21. RichG

RichG

I did it one time, stood in a Kmart parking lot for two hours to get my daughter a $20 DVD player back when the things still cost a hundred fifty. Stupid? Yes. Fun? Actually it was, a couple guys were doling out medicine cups of hard stuff, and another dude had set up a barbeque in his pickup and gave out free hot dogs.:D

22. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i go every year. never wait in line though. 99 dollar rigid shop vac for 28 bucks at the depot. 30 pack of duracell batteries for 5 bucks. went to wallmart at midnight bougt 3 stainless steel crock pots for 2.98 each to dial in my chili recipes. bought a couple dickies sweat shirts for 12 bucks. new towels for 1.33 each, some rubbermade storage containers for cheap. i bought 3 pr. of mechanics gloves for 5 bucks a pr. at job lot. i never buy the popular electronics. i like good deals. its like running with the bulls, you need to try it once

23. GOONZ

GOONZ

The only consumer event I get up for that early is swap meets. I hate shopping....my hole filled sock pile is evidence of that.

24. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

I'll get up at 2:30 am, leave at 3:00, ride for 3.5 hours to shop at Carlisle... but no thanks for black Friday.

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

years ago, I worked at a Target in the Atlanta area, in the toy area, when those power ranger things first came out, if you ever wanted to see the worst in humanity, that was it, what else would make adult women hit each other over the head with toys to buy neon colored plastic dolls? on black Friday. Well other then those talking barney dolls, but that's an entire different story, All I'll say is I had to play that purple blob, in a foam filled suit, on one of those dark days, with the AC in the store failed. Think people going crazy on that day, the store filled with kids wanting to see the blob, kids kicking and punching you, and it's like 90 degrees without the suit. I did a lot of stupid jobs, I think I was about 20 at the time. I hate anything to do with the day after thanksgiving.

26. The funniest thing that happened leaving the hardware store this Friday morning is a guy said, "hey, there's two women fighting" (in the parking lot of the store nextdoor).
    Even though its cold outside, guys stopped and stood there silently staring at a good cat fight. That made my morning.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slept in, got up and stoked up the fire and made a fresh pot of french roast and then Just when I thought I had escaped it all, Ryan slams me with a new T shirt. OH, she whol rules said she would put a woopin on me if I bought one more hot rod Tshirt this year. Oh welL at my age I heal slower but I still heal.
    I also found my daughter a set of headphones for gaming on her computer online for a good deal with free shipping so that's the total of my black Friday buying.

28. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Proud to say I have NEVER in my life fallen ploy to that marketing shit. Being dirt poor helps. But having worked retail for a few years during my late teens, working the major holidays has cured me from ever falling vile marketing ploy.

Sure they may have 100 lap tops, but what they don't tell you is they have only 5 of them in stock. It's just a way to get you into their store.

29. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Here at crushproof, we celebrate black friday in a slightly different manner...

we listen to scandanavian death metal all day long. I would say that we do so whilst wearing all black...but hell, we are mechanics. we are almost always wearing all black.

so, celebrate black friday the norweigan way! go worship satan and burn down a church!

30. synthsis

synthsis

We wanted a new TV for the bedroom, I did some pokin around online, looked like Target had a good deal on a Samsung, but I figured since I slept in until Noon I was out of luck. I ran out to get some oil and a filter for the wife's car, popped in Target, and sure enough, there was a big stack of TVs just sitting there waiting for me. Snagged one and didn't even look at the rest of the store.