Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Jetaway: Gear of the Year" 1956 Cartoon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. belair

belair

Great stuff-Transmission U - Whatsamata U. Even got the side trim, hood ornament, and front syling cues in. I don't know the differences between the 55 and 56, but smooth is not how I would describe the shifts in my 55 Olds Super 88. Thanks JB.

3. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

You've got the "dad" version of the Hydramatic- The old 4 speed with bands. Yes, they shift hard, but they are STRONG auto transmissions. Thats why B & M used them for Hydrosticks- A dual coupling (56 and later) version couldn't handle that kind of abuse...

4. Wasn't this the tranny dragracers loved?

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Jay, the narrator and the voice of Dean Dealer was my dad (Marvin Miller -- Michael Anthony on the Millionaire, Robbie the Robot, and many other voices). I don't recognize the voice of dad Hydramatic, but you obviously did. Jim Backus, maybe?

6. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Cool viddy, J-B. Also interesting to see how the names changed over the years...

from my limited knowledge of the early '60s Pontiacs, from '61 to '64, Catalinas, Venturas and GPs used what is known as the "Jetaway" THREE-speed (POS) automatic (btw, Bonneville and Star Chief used the four-speed Super Hydramatic, again, per nomenclature of then, not '56).

The four-gear autos are pretty damn tough...tougher than the slushbox three speed Jetaways (again, I refer to the Pontiacs of the early '60s).

7. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

That was his Dad in the cartoon- The PRE-56 Hydramatic. That's the drag racing trans B & M used.

As I said in my post, the dual coupling Hydro was known to be a little more fragile.

8. This tranny was the foundation of the B & M Hydro-Stick that shifted most all of the cars of the Gasser Wars of the 60's.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

61-64 Catalinas, venturas, gp's used the Roto-hydramatic, and were aka Slim Jim hydramatic. 61-64 Bonnys and star chiefs used Super hydramatic, aka Jetaway.

10. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Like those Olds commercials. Funny on the 88 commercial they don't talk about the dual range hydramatic at all. Wonder if anybody back then noticed the difference in the two transmissions. I sure would've got an 88 with the dual range. Jetaways slip way too much and have those wonderful sprag clutches, that IMO are junk.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I don't think that's correct. My B&M Hydro-Stick was built from an early-mid '50s dual range; I don't think the Jetaway was ever used as a high-performance transmission.

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Hope not! POS IMO. Have one in my 59 Olds, and when I get a chance, this will be swapped out with one out of a 54 Caddy. The "P" position will be known as problem range, LOL.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had a 59 371 and jetaway in my 53 olds and it was not that bad of a trans,I played with the adjustment and got it to shift a little firmer and never had any problems with it,it did not shift as firm as the hydro but was alot better then the slim jim that came out next.

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Hmmm, u had a Jetaway and a 371 in a 53 Olds? I would've put the old hydro behind the 371 instead. I did this in a '62 Nova years ago. No biggie to do.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I put it togather25 years ago and when I noticed the crank was not drilled I installed the jetaway,would rather had the hydro but did not know what to do or who to call at that time.

17. Window Licker

Window Licker

does anyone know why my my jetaway doesnt shift out of first any more? does eveything else normal except it will not up shift.

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Governor, valve body, TV rod adjustment. Not necessarily in that order.

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I did the swap back in the early 70's. Pilot bearing install $10, counterbalance the hydro flywheel to crankshaft $35