Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 International, the Ugly Push Truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotzy, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Gotzy

Gotzy

Cheers Mark, I've actually been a bit slow recently due top life forces...

Yeah the clip does go in pretty easy really. We cut off the front mounting horns and welded it cause the chassis dips down at the fornt and the sway bar wouldn't have fitted. We could hace C notched for the sway bar and front rubber mounts but we are after a quick build so we took the quicker weld it on route. Will still have the jag handling, just not the rubber mounted ride. The 4 port calipers are huge as well, going to have good brakes. Also picked up some cheap rims with new white band radials, not firestones it know but there were a decent deal.

Yeah the dragsters going to be fun, goal is the HRD's...

2. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Rubber mounted or not,handling and braking will,as you say,be a vast improvement over stock.But Steve,RADIALS?What next?Electric windows?Cup holders?:DLOL.
    Seriously though,I'll be watching this thread with interest as,I plan on replacing my daily('04 Jeep)next year with a classic truck.
    Mark.

3. Gotzy

Gotzy

Yeah I know Mark, it's a real budget, well no budget really, truck and the wheels n tyres came up at very cool price. Trying to start a new business at the moment so it's a case of just get it on the road a fine tune it with the right parts hen ££s allow. No power windows or cup holders though you bitch... ;-)

You got your eye on a specific truck yet?

4. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isnt that Skratch's old truck? :rolleyes:

5. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I remember starting up in business.Hard times!Even though I was lucky enough to have my own premises.Good luck with that,Steve.What line of business are you getting into?
    No specific truck yet but an early suburban or even a wagon might be the the best solution so I have room for the dog etc.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

6. Bully

Bully

It sure is.Bought off him by a fella over here in Swindon,about 75 miles from me.I saw it,twisted his arm a bit and he agreed to sell it to me.Its going to stay pretty much as it is for now.It needs need bushes in the front springs,new ball joints/drag link and some play out of the steering box.All the parts are on order and due to arrive any day now.The crossplies have had to go as it was dangerous to drive on them.A set of radials are now on there and it drives very well on those.
    Immediate plans are to fit the suspension parts,get the exhaust off and a new system fitted under the truck.(The wife has already burnt the back of her leg on it,that didnt go down well i can tell you!)Then attention will turn to the rust in the bottom cab corners,1 door corner and the roof by the gutters.I will try to fake the paint if i can.The whole truck has been sprayed with Ankor Wax to protect it from the British weather as i plan to put it to, plenty of use!
    Today was spent pulling the seat cover and repairing/replacing the springs in the seat..that went well.
    More distance plans are for a SBC on the stock gearbox.

Its a cool truck and you can tell him it will be getting well looked after!

7. Gotzy

Gotzy

Well after a couple of slow weeks I got some dry time up the barn today. I was very slow starting as my mind hasn't been on the truck recently but eventually emptied the bed of all the panels stored in it and took off the bed. Time to do my first C notch!

I got some 5" steam pipe a couple of weeks back and some lengths of 3mm plate to box the rails so got to work with these.

Didn't take any pics along the way but here's how the first side turned out.

Went from one of these

[​IMG]

To one of these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just the other side to go now

[​IMG]

Another week and even less left now...

[​IMG]

i now it's not a great deal to a lot of the very skilled people on here but I was pretty pleased really, a good day!! Oh and used a plasma cutter for the first time today, what a brilliant tool.

Cheers

Gotzy

8. Fenders

Fenders

WTF is this thread about?

9. Gotzy

Gotzy

Trucks, cars and dragsters dude, read it and it makes sense ;-)

10. The trucks gonna turn out great Steve
    keep at it

11. Gotzy

Gotzy

Got back on the rear of the chassis today.

C notching the remaining side and some more boxing. Here's the boxing plates i cut out

[​IMG]

And welded in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to flip the chassis over and finish the welding but need to get the cab off next...

[​IMG]

12. nwaringa

nwaringa

How much clearance do you reckon that c-notch buys you from frame to axle under normal weight? Are you planning on dropping the helper leaf pack? Very interested... details details!

13. Gotzy

Gotzy

The pipe we used was 5" internal diameter so that will give 2 1/2" additional clearance which translates to 2 1/2" clearance at ride height. That's not me being a smart arse, it's just that after flipping the axle and reversing the rear shackle the frame had about 1 mm axle clearance before the notch so 2 1/2" is what it now has, would have liked more travel but we'll see how it copes. We'll weld on some brackets for bump stops above the C as well. The helper springs are staying but if you look at the pics in post #13 and count the springs in the helper pack you'll notice we removed the bottom 2 leafs from the helper pack for scrub line purposes. If the remaining ones don't come into play due to the lack of travel I'll remove them as well for the additional under axle ground clearance, or my driveway may dictate that anyway.

Hope this helps

Steve

14. nwaringa

nwaringa

Thanks Steve that does. I am actually doing the same thing right now on the same frame without the helper leaves... I have about 4 inches clearance without a notch but am only running 5 leaves so have more travel. Don't think I am going to notch it and going to see how it plays.

15. Gotzy

Gotzy

No worries

With that much travel I'd leave it as well. So how'd you lower yours then, just flip the axle?

16. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my garage hates your garage!

17. Gotzy

Gotzy

You done anything with your binder yet?

18. nwaringa

nwaringa

I flipped the axle and threw a mustang II with coil overs in the front similar to what your doing. All said and done I think I am close to the ride height i want to be. I measured low point (front fender) to ground have about 9 inches. Rear is a tad higher. Also threw a 350/700r4 in it and monkeyed with the steering.

Picture of the mock for lowering, you can see the springs give pretty good clearance without helpers... on the ground with the bed on it has 4 inches.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4352791510_a4510c040b.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  19. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

trucks looking cool

20. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

I love the old Binder trucks. That thing is in damn good shape.

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

This is Jamo "Binder" Cosins of DeerLodge, MT's '58 IH push truck!!!
    Seems he pushed the wrong button on this Idaho Patrolman's speeding limit.
    This one sets on a late model Mercury frame.:cool:

Attached Files:

22. The_Forgotten

The_Forgotten
    from WNY

Looks good! Love the old Binders.

23. Gotzy

Gotzy

Hey Nwaringa,

Was thinking about how you ended up with 4" of travel so I had another look at your picture, have you eliminated the rear spring shackle or is it just been put on the hanger in the picture to get it out way whilst working on it?

If you've eliminated the shackle the spring won't be able to compress and therefore function as you'll need a shackle for it to work. If this is the case you should be able to cut off the hanger, turn it upside down and run the shackle and be pretty close to the same ride hide.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you'd over looked it.

Cheers

Steve

24. Gotzy

Gotzy

Man that's one ugly truck, but the cool ugly!!

25. nwaringa

nwaringa

Steve,

That is a bad picture of it early in mock up when I was screwing with the rear shackle to see just what would give me the best result. Below are pictures are it with bed on today (but you cant see shackle), I flipped the rear shackle down and have about 4" without the shocks hooked up. The springs look odd with the shackle down, don't know if this will hurt or not but I see Jeeps etc... all the time with flipped shackles. Does the front spring perch need to be level with the low point on the rear shackle?

-Nick

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4704455907_f8923e5a4e.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4705097770_298ee6e08b.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  26. Shagrat

Shagrat

Cool truck! Keep up the good work! I never noticed how much the 56-57 IH looks like a 54-56 Dodge from the front.
    [​IMG]
    I've got a long way to go on my truck.

27. Gotzy

Gotzy

Cool Nick, thought it better to offend checking than to say nothing ;-)

Interesting you say you flipped the rear shackled down as mine were down when I got it and so flipped them up. We suspected they should have been up due the rear ride height, if you look at the pics early in the thread you'll see why, it was 4x4 territory!

Not qualified to comment on the shackle alignment but didn't notice mine looking odd with it that way, can't say it was like it long though. If the pinion angle is cool I can't see why it would cause a problem.

Steve

28. Gotzy

Gotzy

Yeah they really do don't they, I like the Dodge grille

29. nwaringa

nwaringa

Worst comes to worse I talk to my drive line guy and if he says flip the hangers... I'll flip the hangers. I appreciate the heads up comments on it Steve. Gonna remove my pics from the thread, as this is dedicated to your build. ;)

30. Gotzy

Gotzy

Leave them on there dude, causin no harm