Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 front axle suicide on a 23T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddave, Aug 5, 2009.

1. hotroddave

hotroddave

Trying to figure out the front end? i have a set of split 40 bones and the axle, spring, to the tires. what i am trying to figure is how to set it up on my 23 T. the spring is in front of the axle. and i need it atop the axle any bolt ups? or should i build new hangers

2. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

if you want a spring over the 40 is an inch and half to wide.

3. hotroddave

hotroddave

what would you suggest I use? i have these parts and can mount as is, it will work however it will be ugly.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Posies sells a spring for the 40 axle for the spring over #1009

5. trad27

trad27

Why not leave the spring in front? Its not necessarily ugly its just not something your used to seeing. It lowers the car an extra 2", traditional, and alot easier to set up if thats the parts you got. Im running it on my T with no problems and love it, pm me if you want pics or questions on my set-up. just my 2 cents.

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I used a '46 axle under my A with Speedway long perches and had a mainleaf made for $50. Cut off the stock perches and cleaned them up with a grinder. Worked fine.

7. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

That is exactly how it's done.

Norton

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Another way is to use hangers welded to the insides of the wishbones, 2.5" behind the axle. Hang the flattened '40 spring between, using the '40 shackles. Prune the front overhangs from the wishbones and smooth them, Voila! "Rat Rod Suicide"!

See lots of them like this at Billetproof...It's an old idea seen years ago at the Dry Lakes. (quick lengthening of wheelbase)

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Remember, that when you split the bones on a '40 axle it kills your turning radius, it is good to kick in your bones in so the tire doesnt hit them because unlike a 32 axle there isnt a lot of beam 'tween your bone and spindle

10. F&J

F&J

X2 what he said. Tuck the back ends under the car as much as you can. Cars that don't steer enough are a pain :)

11. hotroddave

hotroddave

Wow thanks for the info, as far as the bones i bought the whole mess already split. the guy had it under a sprite, I have no idea why. but they are split about 8 to 10 inches up the bones that way they are about 26" wide.

12. hotroddave

hotroddave

here are the parts and the project,

Attached Files:

13. trad27

trad27

yeah you wont have trouble with turning radius with the bones like that. looks good

14. hotroddave

hotroddave

Now how should I mount the front spring? perch over or under the spring?

15. Here y'go - 24T, spring in front, '39 axles and wishbones. Split slightly - hope that helps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. rusty28a

rusty28a

Those pics have got my blood boiling! Go for it Hotroddave!

17. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I like them under. I think they're safer that way.
    Other people may think otherwise.
    Check out the pics in my build thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266975
    This is just how mine has been done.
    LOTS of other ways of doing this.

Norton

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to do that on my 23.

Take a look at a front spring out from under an F-1 Ford pickup. I think that is what I ended up using on my T. I may be off as I ended up swapping in a drilled axle that I got from a club member back then but I think the distance on the pins was the same as the other axle.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

19. Plenty of turning circle left with my slightly split '39 bones...

20. hotroddave

hotroddave

tanks for the insight i will get some pics up to show progress once completed.

21. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Heres a look at mine with '40 front end w tube axle. '32 frame with straight tube front crossmember. The perch is straight out off the top of the crossmember. The spring is mounted on top of the perch. This allows the perch to be gusseted underneath. With a spring ahead suicide front end if someting did fail the chassis would drop about 2 inchs and lay on the axle.

Attached Files: