Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP: How to change a 6 Volt 51 Flathead to a 12 Volt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEECOUNTYRODS, Apr 14, 2007.

1. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

First off, if there is a post on this exact subject please shoot it to me. I looked, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I would like to know a guess on what it cost to change a 1951 Ford Flathead 8 from a 6 volt to a 12 volt. Also, how is it done? I appreciate your help all!!!!:D

2. petebert

petebert

I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll post a link to a page that has good info on the conversion.

3. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

I appreciate it!!!

4. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

5. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Sinner, since my ride is all ready 12 volt system, all I need to purchase is a alternator and Ignition, does that sound right?

6. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

I thought it was a 6volt and you wanted to go to a 12volt ????

On my chev, I stuck a one wire alt in there and changed over the bulbs and put a battery in it. Im still using the stock 6 volt starter and stock ignition switch...with no problems at all...Not so sure about your flatty....

7. Cadien

Cadien

Very easy especially if you already have a 12 volt system on the car. You'll only need a new coil and a 1 wire alternator. I use a Mallory unilite distributor on my 51 Merc and have no problems. Most of the supply houses like Hot Rod and Custom supply sell a little book on changing systems over to 12 volt. Cost a few bucks and has alot of information.
    Here is a link to Speedway motors and the book:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2867,385_The-Official-12-Volt-Conversion-Guide.html

8. Cadien

Cadien

OH, And your 6 volt starter on the Flathead will work fine on a 12 volt system. No need to change or convert anything there.
    If you are running an original tranny with an overdrive then the solenoid will have to be converted to 12.

9. I go pogo

I go pogo

I use a stock 6 volt starter and distributor with a ballast resister in the wire to the coil.

10. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

This is great information and really appreciate it. Sinner here is alittle more in detail of what I meant. I built a 31 Ford making sure all components ran on a 12 Volt system. I just purchased a Flat head off a guy who was still running the 6 volt system. Anyway, it sounds like I do not need much at all so I should be on my way in a few weeks. Thanks guys!!!!!!!

11. petebert

petebert

12. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Cool beans....it's a fairly easy to do conversion...good luck

13. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

14. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

1 question on this post. What should I do with a stock voltage regulator on a 6 volt system? DO I jumper or splice any wires and shitcan it? Or just put a 12 volt in it and use the gm internal reg and external regulator? I am converting my 6 volt 53 ford to 12 volt. thanks for search option!