Register now to get rid of these ads!

What bad things can happen if you leave your car running when u pump gas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DIRTYT, Feb 3, 2007.

1. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

So the little slurpee jockey at the gas station yelled at me like i was a 2 year old. I was breaking the rules of pumping gas with my engine running. Im sorry its 6 degrees out side right now and im leaving the bitch running. Ive gone over in my head thousands of times what things need to happen in order for you car to ignite gas while pumping. and i dont see it as happing all that often if not any.
    And god damnit i saw that myth busters and it didnt ignite:D

any way i want to hear some veiws on the physics of the whole thing. can you really ignite gas vapors with your car running? :rolleyes:

2. Jimv

Jimv

who know, but why take a chance!!!! Doesn't seem like there asking too much of ya.
    JimV

3. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea i see your point but im stubborn and need to know why they have certain rules. I dont like just doing it cause "they" said so.

4. I wouldnt freeze my balls off either.
    f@#k that pump jockey.

5. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Yea, I know what ya mean...kinda like "prepay pumps" I see one of those little signs stuck to the face of the pump, and I'm off to the next station...."What, don't ya trust me"

6. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

haha you can only prepay here. when i went down to oklahoma last month i was going and prepaying out of habit and they didnt really understand what i was trying to do.

7. bcarlson

bcarlson

I'm thinking he should be yelling at the people who get in and out of their car, creating potential for static shock. The people using cell phones, as they have been known to create sparks. And mostly the idiots who smoke cigarettes while pumping gas!

Wow. I mean, wtf. There are a million worse things to do than that. On the other hand, why take the chance... I suppose that's the correct answer. ;)

Ben

8. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Your kidding right ?????

They really don't give a shit if you blow yourself up but they want to save their pumps and the 40,000 gallons in the ground too.

It only takes once for a heat source to ignite the gas is the reason why.

Shit - I would have shut the pump off if you did't shut the car off.

Or told you to take your red wagon home and don't come back !

Damn 2 year olds never learn.

Cob

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nope - no trust.
    Too many drive offs.

20 gallons drive off
    400 gallons to get back to even.
    you do the math.

Cob

10. Jimv

Jimv

Some kid is doing a "no where" job & and you all are raggin him!!It's not like hes askin you to cut your dick off or nail your women!!
    Not only is there a danger of a spark from these shit boxes we drive igniting something but ya ever think that some asshole who needs a ride home might jump in your car & drive it away when you go into pay! Its is only 6o out!!!!
    whats next, passing stop sign cause ya can't see anyone coming? saying "fuck the speed limit" ( oops, i do that all the time!)
    thats the trouble with society today, to many rebels!!!
    One minute we're running our engines at the pump, next minute the storm troopers are marching in!!Its outta control people!!! See how this could lead to the decline of the civilazaion!!lololol
    SAVE THE WORLD! turn off your engines!!
    JimV

11. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I guess you didn't see the pickup truck that burned up a couple weeks ago in Detroit. It was all over CNN and the rest of the stupid ass news channels, they atributed it to the truck running while being fueled. My guess is the camel driver must have seen it.:)

12. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

you forgot a 5 behind the 2 there guy. And what heat source might be near my gas filler? I turned the car off to please the high strung little guy. but I just want to know why they started this shit in the first place. I do understand how gas works, spark+ gas= boom. but where does this spark or "heat source" come from.

Im not looking to argue about it really. i just want to know WHY.
    That way next time im pumping i will know if im in the right or not with the thing running. The freeking lady on the other side of the pump had her van sitting there running but not pumping. couldnt that have blown us all up to?

So many questions not enough answers

13. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea my girl freind was telling me about it once i got back in my truck.

Im not trying to say i was right.or rag on the guy who bitched at me. i just want to know WHY! but no one can give me a good enough reason why.

Corncob do you own a gas station cause you seem to be taking this topic to heart;)

14. Kustomz

Kustomz

I think it's all BS. When I was a kid I worked for an old man in a gas station that always had a lit cigarette in his mouth even when he was pumping gas and nothing ever blew up.

15. Jimv

Jimv

This is lame.
    JimV

16. GTS225

GTS225

Gas fumes are heavier than air, so they will naturally drop to the ground. Catalytic converters normally run at high temps, so are an excellent ignition source.
    Yeah, our older cars don't have cats, but do you really think that butt-nugget behind the counter understands that?

Besides....it's his place....follow his rules, ok? You would expect him to follow your rules at your place, wouldn't you?

Roger

17. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

See now that makes sense to me. I have a Cat on my truck and dont want to blow up. Now i know what can blow me up. Thats all i wanted. I dont think the kid owned the gas station he was all of 19 but that doesnt really matter. Ill admit when im in the wrong, but i just wanted evidence saying so.

18. I pulled into a station shut my truck off...and hear over the load speaker shut your truck off, I'm like fuck you it is off. you want me to shut it off MORE. Through the window she motioning me to shut it off , now I'm out side is -20 with the wind chill I'm motioning to her it is ,she does nothing so I walk in an ask what the fuck is your problem . She says "you need to turn off your truck " I tell her it is! she says I can see that it is running .NOW I'm pissed go out and stand by my truck and tell me it's running you ignorant cunt ! Wrong thing to say she says I'm calling the cops. So I didn't get my gas there.

But as far as shutting off your car it's not just about you, it's about the soccer mom and her 20 kids next to you that don't chose to take that risk...

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Dab in Ethenol plant investments

Plain and simple - some times pumps can stick and over flow on to the ground or down the vehicle side onto exhaust etc.
    Static charge can be a main issue.
    Gas stations just don't want a continuous heat source available to possible ignite ANYTHING.
    While minuit - it only takes once to ruin your day.
    As far as the 2 year old comment - I was just going along with you original statement of them treating you like a 2 year old.

If you understand Sparks+ Gas equals boom then you really shouldn't even ask the question.
    Your vehicle is a heat source - it only takes the right heat to boom.

Actually the fumes are what is the boom factor and you can't see fumes.

Rules are rules - shut ja dam caar off while pumpin the juice.

20. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

The real reason for those signs has all ready been mentioned, static electricity. In 1976 when I got out of the Navy I took my VA benefits went out and bought me a Snell station. During the dealer training they went over all this kinda crap along with a lot of other bullshit. I remember one morning I was getting a load of fuel and I noticed the tanker driver was smoking a cig. I went out and told him he shouldn't be smoking he looked at me and the tossed the butt in the open tank. I think I shit, and then realized nothing happened. He was an old guy, around 60 and explained to me how he had been around gasoline all his life and that the liquid gasoline does not burn and it takes a SPARK not heat to ignite the fumes. He further went on to explain when it is cold gasoline has a very slow rate of vaporization. Up here in the great white north no one shuts off the car when they fuel up. There is always a chance that the right amount of vapor will be present and a sprk could jump to the nozzle and you would have a fire. By the way nozzles are grounded that is why there could be a spark jump too it. Hope that explains why those signs are on pumps.

21. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea i got that whole 2 year old thing like 10 min later. im a little slow this morning. Yea i guess if i would have sat down and gave it more thought. but i guess its one of those ya dont belive it till ya see it things. IM dumb and now i know better, all thanks to the hamb! :D

22. Jimv

Jimv

when i was in the navy i went to firefighting school in Philly and they did some displays of the flamability of gas, its really dangerous shit!! I couldn't believe some of the things they did(blow open a hatch that was dogged) with just a little bit of gas.
    If you ever looked st your engine on a dark rainy night( don't get scared!!) you can sometimes see alot of faint sparks jumping all over the place, so with the right amount of source( gas or fumes) ignition( sparks ) & ogygen you can explode, those are the three thing for a fire & you can't calculate if thats whats going to happen at the gas pumps.
    Now Here the real question! Has anyone had there eye shot out by a BB GUN??
    Now i'm not asking if you know someone who did, your highschool teachers , doctors , vets neighbor did!! I want to see someone with one eye who lost it from a BB gun!!
    Thats something for myth busters, not a toilet blowing up from someone farting & throwing a cigerrett in there( without burning there dick)!!
    JimV
    PS my mother couldn't prove it so i don't think we can!!lol

23. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

haha i dont think the shot would take the eye "out" but perhaps the DR would afterward haha

24. Jimv

Jimv

Ya got me on a technacallity!!lol
    I'll rephrase"lost there eye"
    JimV

25. No, but I did go blind 'cause I masturbated.

26. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i have been known on occasion to let my car run aswell. i've also had the pump shut off on me till i turned the car off. one time they did'nt even tell me WHY they shut the pump off. they just let me figure it out. as soon as i did turn the car off the pump miraculously worked again.
    if you think about it though there are a LOT of sources of heat and spark associated with your car, ESPECIALY when it is running.

i've also read signs at gas stations about the use of cell phones or other electronics while at the pump and warnings NOT to get in and out of the car. i've seen the pumps turned off on people who get back in their car afte starting the pump and i've seen them turned off on people talking on the cell phone. i think these are general safety rules throughout the industry it just depends on the person working inside and if they are paying attention and/or they want to be the "bad guy" and turn your pump off.

27. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

see the weird thing is i would never get back in the car after i started pumping cause the whole static thing. And same for the cell phone didnt want to do seemed to risky. But i just never saw the problem in keeping the thing running. well untill today.

28. flatford39

flatford39

Another thing here is that on our newer cars and trucks pumping gas with the engine running sends a signal to the computer that something is amiss with the polution control business and can trigger the check engine light to come on and a trip to your dealer $$$$ to have him turn it off and tell you to shut the motor off when you pump gas. I know it's true on Mustangs could be on others.

29. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

it's a RISK vs. CONVENIENCE thing. psychology 101. happens on a pretty much subconscious level.

30. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea thats only fords that do that dumb shit. and you dont have to take it to the dealer you can just take the battery cable off for a few min to reset the computer.