Register now to get rid of these ads!

stewart warner gauge panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Oct 31, 2007.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've seen all the threads on stewart warner gauges and gauge panels in general. I would like to know if we can get a collection of stewart warner gauge panels with their years of production and names.

here is what I have to contribute to the list:

the Mate 3 gauge panel
    [​IMG]

The Ensign 5 gauge panel
    [​IMG]

The Hollywood (aka Master) 8 gauge panel
    [​IMG]

Navigator 5 gauge panel
    [​IMG]

I've also seen a really neat 10 gauge panel that I haven't seen a name listed for (or if it is really S&W).
    [​IMG]

so, please post up all your pictures and information of stewart warner gauge panels

2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

anyone have any other pictures or information to add??

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've never seen the 10 gauge one before--really neat. I suspect it may have been made for boats with two engines and sets of gauges? The Hollywood is already getting pretty close to too much information for one installation, and I can't think of enough gauges I'd really want for 10 holes...
    The Hollywood came with several different faceplates: I think they had different names depending on the finish. I think there were wrinkle black, plaid-looking, engine turned...
    I do have some old catalogs and flyers...will see what I can dig up.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think one of my catalogs has a wider version like a stretch ensign...much like typical '32 roadster rod dashes. Will look.

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

This one went with my 32

Note the double temp gauge ......... each side of your flattie

Attached Files:

6. alchemy

alchemy

That 10-gauger is not SW, I think it's AC.

The wide one you're thinking of Bruce is basically a piece of stainless with a slightly rolled edge. Fits nicely in a '32 dash, as found in Milner's coupe.

Most all of the other SW panels came with different inserts available, such as woodgrain, black crinkle, engine turned, chrome/black verticle lines, and sometimes plain black or plain white. I've never seen the checkerboard like on the Mate at the top of this page.

Parr Automotive (or maybe its Southern Rods) sells the Ensign brand new, still made by SW. Don't think any of the others are currently being produced, but maybe that could be changed with some gentle prodding from the hot rod community.

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

bruce, I've got the navigator in my 28 roadster, a hollywood sitting in my cellar and my 32 came with the polished stainless insert that is the full width of the dash like alchemy is talking about.

for a flatty the 8 gauge is nice with the twin water temps. looking at the 10 gauge panel I was thinking about all kinds of interesting things like fuel pressure, vacuum/boost, oil temp, etc. that could be added. would make a very easily diagnosed engine if you were having troubles.

alchemy, who is "AC"?? don't recognize the name??

8. alchemy

alchemy

AC as in made parts for GM, later to be AC-Delco. I don't know who Mr. A is or Mr. C is.

Somewhere I have price lists that show these SW panels "loaded", as in full of shiney new winged gauges. For all of about $89. But that was 1956.

I have an extensive collection of vintage Stewart Warner documentation. Numerous catalogs and product dealer sheets, repair manuals for everything gauge related they ever made, corporate annual reports, and even stock certificates. If anybody has any requests IN PARTICULAR, ask and maybe I can scan it to post. But don't be in a hurry, cause Bruce has never taught me how to keep my library orderly.

9. phat rat

phat rat

here's mine just waiting to go into something. Probably the modified project

Attached Files:

10. I believe AC stands for Albert Champion...founder of both what started as the Albert Champion Company, and eventually became AC Spark Plugs, then AC-Delco.................and Champion Spark Plugs. :)

11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

anyone have dates of manufacture of any of these panels?? Have yet to hear when SW started making these....

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

here is another SW guage panel another guy on here is trying to figure out what it came out of..any ideas?

Attached Files:

13. blacufo

blacufo

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Date codes on my gauges were late 40's I think

15. phat rat

phat rat

Mines a 1954

16. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

17. 36C8

36C8

The ten gauge panel is for GM diesel application. Originally filled with ac gauges, it will accomodate SW as well. The bad think about the Southern Rods panels is they don't have the same insert fit as the old originals, and have no old-style light socket set-ups in back.
    The 36 packard panel was mine.

18. Burny

Burny

Attached Files:

19. Were any made undrilled so you could fit whatever sized instruments you had? Are they available new anywhere?

Steve

20. crashbox

crashbox

Does Stewart-Warner still make the 4500 RPM tach? It would be perfect for my banger.

21. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

May seem a bit steep to someone that just wants to put it in their old hot rod,but to a guy restoring a `36 Packard that`s probably a steal!

22. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

here are a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

very true!

but I still want it!:D

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

25. Speedy Muertito

Speedy Muertito

26. deedster

deedster

Love this thread..The Ensign 5 panel is one of my favorites..To me the right guages and the panels are about as important as the right wheel & tire treatment..They either make or break thy rod or custom etc...

27. Clark

Clark

Speedy..funny thing is I sold that panel about 4 weeks ago and the guy switched a couple of gauges in it. It was clearly a panel out of a boat. I wish I would have kept it now. The Muntz had one from factory and the one in it was pitted bad.
    Clark

28. tysond

tysond

29. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

here is my 68 Mercruiser Dash panel in my Model A.

Attached Files:

30. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

I found this little jewel today in a box of old boat stuff I didn't realize I had. Won't be good for anything to me but kind of neat none the less. Has knots and MPH.

[​IMG]