Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Also gotta share a photo of my buddy, Jason's, Model A Coupe that he's building. It's come a long ways from the rusted, mangled body that he started with. He's also using a frame from Gary Maxwell at Blackboard Hot Rods.

Built 390 (BIG cam, approx. 10:1 compression), 3x2s, 5-speed, 9-inch rear w/ 4.11s.

It's gonna be stupid fun to drive and LOUD.. awesome!!

[​IMG]

2. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

It's really coming along! I wouldn't worry about bead rolling the floor. You have plenty of bracing so stiffness shouldn't be an issue.

3. daddio211

daddio211

What about the "oil can" sound? Wouldn't a simple bead minimize that? It would sure suck to get it all together then regret skipping a simple step.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I welded in quite a bit of 3/4"x3/4" tubing that the floor will be spot welded to. Also, the floor is 16 gauge.... I'll take a photo with all the spot weld holes drilled to give a better idea of just how many there will be--- lots! :)

5. I wouldn't worry about it either...I didn't! haha. My floor is really similar. I'm gonna dynamat it too....

6. sololobo

sololobo

Nick, this baby just looks better every update. Jason's coupe is looking hotter than a fox in a forest fire also. Omaha is cookin up some sweet cars these days. Wow!! ~sololobo~

7. I like the 390......

8. I'll be lookin for you at Roundup.

P.S. You're not the boss of me!

9. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I think your roadster needs to be added to the "perfect proportions" thread. Man this thing is looking killer!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Mock-up engine is going in yet again. Steering column, column drop, shaft, u-joints are next.

[​IMG]

11. Elrod

Elrod

Cool! Keep up the great work!

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Steering column drop and lower mount installed, as well as the two 1" square cross-tubes. I have no idea what the connecting rods are from, but they are very close to the 1-3/4" tube size.

[​IMG]

Also welded a patch in the dash and cut new holes for the gauges. Ignore the big hole next to the glovebox...

[​IMG]

13. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Really like that dash!

Coming together ............. sweet!

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, guys!

I forgot to mention that the steering column is a stainless Speedway column and the steering wheel is from Dan Collins. The wheel is out of the 'T' Coupe that Dan bought from Dennis McPhail. He replaced it with a different one...

15. Lookin Good Nick,,,,missed you at the Roundup this year...

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I was really bummed to have to skip the Roundup this year.... Heard it was a great showing!

Picked up these old 'race' valve covers in the Classifieds. The breathers are kind of odd, but I like them! (They do need cleaned up, of course, and this is just a grimey mock-up engine)

[​IMG]

Also figured out the steering shaft and u-joints tonight. With the front of the rails pinched alot, it makes things a little tight, even with a SBF. I made a bracket after this photo to hold the shaft support heim.

[​IMG]

17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Nice to see all the progress!

18. Deadbird

Deadbird

Wow, that steering is tight. Looks like you got it sorted out though. Nice work.

19. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

Hey man, Your build is incredible! I have a quick question if I may......I am doing the floor supports for my '29 tudor on '32 rails and I see you welded the toe-board and cowl section to the rest of the floor which makes the cowl section not removable from the car. The concern I have on mine is when I go to paint the car, Did you put something between the cowl panels and the A-pillars before putting together or just bolted them metal to metal?
    I apologize for hijacking your thread with a question but I cant find this info anywhere and have learned alot from your thread so far. Thanks.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

^^^Regarding the question above^^^
    I just bolted them metal-to-metal and honestly don't know if there's supposed to be something between the panels. This is the first time I've built a car like this, so later on, I may or may not be kicking myself for welding the cowl section to the rest of the floor.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Also made some progress today ...
    Steering is finished, figured out the shock mounts and radiator dimensions

[​IMG]

22. bonesy

bonesy

That really is looking slick.

23. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

Right on, thank you for the response. Again the car looks Bitchin'!

24. El Bombero

El Bombero

Sure is turning out nice. Lots and lots of work but worth it in the end....or at least that's what we tell ourselves.

Mike

25. kisam

kisam

Nick, you are getting so close to driving that thing! Good Job!

26. 18n57

18n57

Looked for you at the meet and greet...sorry you didn't make it!!
    Roadster's looking good

27. hasty

hasty

Its looking good!
    I'm enjoying the thread - thanks for all the posts.

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Another mini-update of sorts...
    In this front shot, you can see the approximate shock location (right side). The upper mount will be heated and bent out away from the hood. Will probably build the headlight mounts off the upper shock mounts. I had thought about using '29 headlights, but have decided to go another direction
    Will post photos when the new ones arrive and are installed ...should be cool and different, in a good way!

[​IMG]

My buddy, Clint, has made a little progress on the seat -- he's doing very nice work!

[​IMG]

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking good, man. What brand is that DuVall windshield, Sellers?