Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to fix a flywheel ring gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dawford, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dawford

dawford

I have a flywheel with a ring gear that has 2 areas that have the teeth rounded and chewed up.

The questions that I have are first how do I remove the ring gear?

And second can I just turn the ring gear around and use the other side where the teeth are pristine?

The flywheel is 157 tooth zero balance Mustang.

Dick :) :) :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Hey I could be wrong but thats when I would install a NEW flywheel.

3. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

I've flipped the gears around on a couple of flywheels.
    You might even be able to buy a new ring for the flywheel.

4. Andy

Andy

I don't thing you can bolt the clutch on if you turn the flywheel around?
    Take it to a clutch shop and have a new ring put on.
    You can beat the old ring off or a bit of heat will expand it so it falls off. I heat them up to install.

Montana1 likes this.

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

try Rockauto for a new ring gear

6. richie rebel

richie rebel

heat the ring,( just the ring) it will fall right off, flip it over reheat slide back on,red hot in about 6 inch area that should do it

7. dawford

dawford

A new flywheel is $109.00 delivered and a ring gear is $24.00 delivered.

Which would you choose?

And if I can reverse the ring gear on the flywheel so much the better.

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

No, you cannot "turn the flywheel around" Well, maybe you could bolt it to the crakshaft, but that's all you can do. Sorta like bolting a wheel on backwards. Also, unless I am mistaken, the teeth on your flywheel have an angle on the starter side that allows the starter drive gear to engage smoothly. Never have seen on that did not have this feature. Yes, you can buy a new ring gear, but you may find that a replacement, new, flywheel is cheaper and a lot less hassle.

9. richie rebel

richie rebel

you don't flip the flywheel,just the ring,don't beat it off, the heat will take care of it...........

10. dawford

dawford

I am a slow typist so by the time I replied to the first reply several more answered my question.

Thanks,

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done a bunch of them just like that and have even pulled good ring gears off flywheels that needed surfacing and put them on my better looking flywheel. I've got two or three in the shed now minus the ring gears.

As he said, heat the ring gear and it should slide off or you can tap it off with a hammer. Make sure you know exactly where you want it to be when you flip it and put it back on or put a new one on.

I think you can find a new one in the Pioneer brand and some other brands pretty easily and not too expensive.

12. afaulk

afaulk

Yep, been there and done that. Remove the ring gear, flip it over and re- install. I dont know how many flex plates and flywheels i've done, never had a problem. Just be sure you get it straight and if it has any offset, make it the same.

13. richie rebel

richie rebel

no,the gear on the starter is angled not the ring gear

14. Frank

Frank

I had a couple of chipped/missing teeth so I just welded them up and ground them back down to shape and haven't had any problems. Maybe my ignorance is bliss.

15. LAROKE

LAROKE

I didn't have a torch when I did my 235 chevy ringgear. I tapped it off using a brass drift. Space even, medium blows around the ring. After three or four iterations, you should see it start to move. Takes less than ten minutes. When I put the new one on, I put the flywheel in my freezer overnite and cooked the ringgear in the oven for a hour (I'm a batchelor). Picked the hot ringgear out of the oven with welding gloves and dropped it onto the cold flywheel without a problem.

16. Just a tip from an imagined perfectionist; take the time to bevel the teeth on any ring gear before it goes in the car (on some motors it can be done in the car). A file works but I use a cut-off wheel and just drag it along at a speed that nets the desired results. Look at the teeth on the Bendix (the starter drive), this is what you want to achieve but not quite as extreme. Just a 1/16" or so 45 degree is fine. Putting a bevel on the teeth makes it so much easier for the starter drive to engage the teeth it's amazing, and in some instances gets rid of annoying starter noises.