Register now to get rid of these ads!

f100 with camaro subframe.. wrong way to do it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fosheezie, Mar 20, 2011.

1. derpr

derpr

I 've seen it done on a chevy truck before. we did it to get the ride height right.

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello fosheeze, I used a 76 firebird sub frame under a 56 f-100 many years ago. (same as camaro). I think using the entire sub frame is the best way to go. The centerlines of the ford and the subframe are the same, with the subframe being wider by a total of an inch or so this makes a very easy match up and gives good welding points to work with. I made a template of the sub frame and transfered that to the truck chassis. I found that by increasing the wheel base one inch it centered the wheels nicely in the fender. after cutting the truck chassis, to match the template I simply rolled the assembly under the truck chassis. with careful measurements and a few gussets it worked well for me. I did have to modify the fire wall because I used the stock pontiac motor and sway bar.
    If you move or make your own mounts, this will not be necessary. There is plenty of room in an f-100 engine bay. Hope this helps. MickeyC

3. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

thanks for all the replies fellas, i took a good look at it this morning and ended up buying the truck.. all the welds look solid, and basically what the guy did was chop the ford frame about 5 inches shy of the firewall, roll the camaro clip under it, and welded it up where the camaro clip "downslope" matches up to the ford frame, then just left the rest of he clip to make mounting the front of the running boards easier.. im not sure how many post i have to make before i can post some pictures but i will give it a go here in a minute... the truck is by no means nice in any form of the word, but i got it for a song and drove it 5 miles to my house and it rides and handles wayyy better than i imagined one of these trucks could, i know cllipping a truck isnt very popular on here for for the price that ride quality was pretty hard to beat..

and for what its worth i apprectiate all the feedback from everyone.. 31 replies in 24 hours... it used to take me 2 months to get that on steves nova site lol... pics comin soon, along with some front clip questions

4. That's how I've seen it done. I pictured something different in your original post.

You can post pics right away.