Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag XKE Custom Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AlfredENewman, Oct 6, 2009.

1. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

I remember running across a guy on the boards who had a thread bout his custom/hot rod Jaguar XKE. I have been looking around and cannot find it using the search. Anybody remember the build up thread? It's a project that I am looking into now and doing the research part before I purchase an XKE.

2. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

I doubt it would have been on the HAMB... doesn't really fall under traditional hot rod/ custom. There have been threads about using the jag rear suspension and various other parts.

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I don't know if I could bring myself to hack into an XKE... but i've wondered what a stodgy old British car would look like hacked up into a custom. Might be good, might be bad. I'm thinking more along the lines of an old Rolls, or a Diamler / Saloon Jag...

Either way i'm sure it would be interesting to see. Especially if someone successfully pulls it off.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

I could've sworn it was on these boards. I think he was doing a modified Chevy race engine swap, flaring fenders etc. Yeah I ran across all the rear end swaps when I tried searching. I'll punch a few more keywords in. The thread was probably 2-3 years ago.

6. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

8. Verminator

Verminator

There was a red XKE with a 454 and 2 4's on a tunnel ram,skinny front and wide ass rear tires in a hot rod/car craft? "Dare to be different" /Street Freaks spread somewhere in the late 80's, early 90's. Thought it was bad as hell.Soon after it was for sale in Hemmings for 18K. Way to rich for me at the time....and still......

9. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

They are notriously expensive to restore. As great as a nicely tuned 3.8L sounds, they cost an arm and a leg to rebuild. I would go more for project/mod than a full resto. Although Maybe I'm destined for a different project type.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There used to be some of them floating around with Chev or Ford small blocks years ago when you could pick up one with a blown up six for chump change. You would probably have better luck over at http://www.hotrodders.com/ They are pretty open minded over there as to cars that would be OT here.

I think the car you are talking about may have been in one of the readers car photo in one of the rags a few years ago.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

11. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

Thanks for the link, I'll see what I can dig up. I did run across a 1950 Plymouth project for sale recently that peeked my interest in rods and customs. So I'll search the boards and see what projects motivate me.

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Dutch/vehicles/3783

[​IMG]

<object width="400" height="227"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5547660&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5547660&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="227"></embed></object><p>POSIES Jaguar at the Good-Guys Autocross from Hub Mechanic on Vimeo.</p>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4OcwG_MXvA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p4OcwG_MXvA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there was one several years ago that made all the local shows with a Boss 429 in it. it was pretty cool in some ways but they did something to mess it up... can't recall what it was. like it had a pink furry convertible top or something crazy like that.

14. Jag XKE Custom Hot Rod?

The real question here is.

Can a "Hot Rod" be a "Custom" ?

15. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Obviously! and an XKE too... c'mon man, pay attention.

:)

16. In New Zealand we have an auction site called trademe.
    You should see the crap that gets listed on there under the classification of "Hot Rod"
    Makes you shudder all over and near have a heart attack..

17. Well, there's always the English Brothers XKE gasser!
    [​IMG]

18. This is definitely a Hot Rod, Love it! Got a 60s vibe.

Attached Files:

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You and other "lurkers" can learn from this, if in fact you were registered on the HAMB when you read that thread, and made a comment on the thread, you would be able to find it extremely easy.....OR you could have hit the subscribe tab and it would then be in your subscribe folder for easy reference....just saying.;)

20. JimmyB , what the hell is that? I kinda like it...gives me a Manta Ray kinda vibe.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this looks like the one. it got changed later.

[​IMG]

22. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

I've done a couple of E Types..with SBFs. Are you planning on a swap ? Do not use a SBC..major frame mods will be required. The SBF can fit between the upper frame tubes.

PM..if you have some questions.

23. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

How/where can I find more on this car? Owner's name? Photos?

[​IMG]

24. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

i forgot what issue or even what year (mid/late-60's?), but Hot Rod magazine did a ford 289 swap feature. Totally awesome. From what I recall, they said the 289 just barely fit in terms of height--no hood cutting necessary--, and that the swap made sense because jaguars come stock with ford transmissions. Would love to see a period sixties build here on the HAMB.

It was Hot Rod annual 13, so it would be '72 or '73.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some modified E Types I like...

c424-bw-remote.jpg

rao1974_0800.jpg

cwn1982b_0351.jpg

Picture381.jpg

19.jpg

0451_PNWN08.jpg

2144837470051671230S600x600Q85.jpg

ja.jpg

jag2 c.jpg

Snoopy-1-Plum.jpg

snoopy.jpg

26. AlfredENewman

AlfredENewman
    from NC

I think that red XKE is the one, but the pictures didn't show up. I just was able to read the build thread.

I appreciate the info. I googled and came across that specific thread a long while back. I was only looking for that specific topic since I had a an XKE. Either way it is really irrelevant, unless you can loan me a time machine. Then I will be glad to go back and leave your note for "past" me to register for the site, instead of losing the bookmark. It always seems that someone on a board tries to show coolness through replying OT about the "Newb" or codes the Search function in a "Here it is Link" or "proper ettiquitte". The reply post above is pretty OT in my opinion and really not contributing to the discussion. Thanks though, but not my first time on an automotive forum or the interwebz. As for the rest I appreciate the replies.

That Black XKE above got me to start looking for a Coupe instead of a roadster. Unfortunatley when I tracked down a complete minimal work example, it had already been sold. The seller does have a ton of Caddy's a few interesting 50's to 60's American cars for sale. But they are too much for me to get running or restore. My questions are the engines, drivetrains, rear diffs etc worth to get for any future rods/custom projects? Anything special in those years or model ranges I should look for? I've seen a few budget rides (Chev/Ply) that were pretty cheap and wondering if a Cadillac engine, drivetrain etc would be worth the swap or any added benefit.

27. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

I own an E-Type (the "proper" name of the car) - they aren't really that expensive compared to contemporary marques (I mean Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche, etc.). The parts are readily available, and many "generic" grade replacements exist. The cars are quirky compared to American iron, and the electrics are horrible.

I agree with Docc - use a SBF.

Metalshapes posted some wicked looking E's modified for strip use. Since these cars are rust buckets, you can get a tired FHC (coupe) for nothing and drop in the SBF (relatively) easy.

One of my favorite Funny Cars from my youth was Shel Konblatt's Snoopy. An E-Type FHC that looked fantastic (but didn't perform as well). Perfect oddball car to hack up into a hot rod IMHO - so long as it's a ratty example.

28. Don't know about an E Type Jag but I would give a testicle for a Lister (sp?). or maybe a 3 wheeled Morgon. But I don't know if I could bring myself to butch one.

29. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Is that true of the earlier ones? All the later XJ and XJS models I remember seeing in junkyards had TH400s in them, though I don't recall what bolt pattern they had.