Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Mercury Wagon at De Moines Pics??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Jul 11, 2007.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw pictures of this Merc on another post and I just got to see more pics.
    I talk to a friend last night and He was going on and on about it and it is
    driving this kat krazy.

Anymore pictures or information about the sled?

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

Sorry, no info or pics but that Merc looks good. Someone pulled it off nicely.

3. alchemy

alchemy

To me, it looked like a 49/50 tudor Merc with a 54-56 Ford rear gate and hatch, 57 Ford roof skin, and maybe 57 rear side windows. It had what I think were 54 Merc taillights. All blended very well together.

4. double post - sorry

5. That would be my summation too. It is well executed. I think some of the Omaha guys know the guy that built it - maybe Hot Rod Roadster or RoadBurner1.

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought years ago, I saw a concept drawing of a Merc wagon in R & C
    Magazine. Who says everything has been done to a Merc........ Thanks
    for the extra info looking forward to pictures.

Happy Trails,

Mick

7. jlouie

jlouie

i have a few more side shots, but wasn't able to get more as there was always people around it. i'll try and post them tonight.

8. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I don't know who built it, but can surely tell you after looking at it last weekend it is a first class job. Gary

9. Buford

Buford

It was built by "Bitchin" Dave Dolman of Verdon NE. He is one talented old fart that cranks out one or two top notch rides a year! A crusty poop with a heart of gold, plus he likes beer! Frank

10. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

exactly what Buford said.... this car is awesome in person....

11. Mercury made a 4 dr [woody]wagon....same size body unit as the 49-51 Ford woodies [doors and gates interchange....]

12. 00 MACK

00 MACK

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

39-51 Merc wagons are woodies. Anything else isn't.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

14. carkiller

carkiller

Car belongs to dave doleman and as stated, BITCHIN, is Daveys thing. Its a 49 coupe, 56 ford gate and partial lid. blended to 57 ford lid with 53 merc taillights, 55 pont rear reworked bumbers, kaiser front bar on stock bumber. Yes Davie kicks out about two a year and always are spot on.

15. Rikster

Rikster

I sure would love to see some more photos of that great looking Merc wagon as well. I have always loved that idear.

A bit of topic....but
    Many, many years ago I loved the idear so much I decided to built a sedan delivery out of a 1/25 scale 1949 Mercury... I was inspired by a 1/1 built delivery based on a woody with new metal side panels. The car was very nice... but still had the hight roof line of the woody they started with.

KustomLincolnLady photo

[​IMG]

Especially from the side you can see some side window/windshield opening problems...

[​IMG]

And here is the model I built.... The whole section from the B-pillars back is scratch built from sheet styrene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aussiepete. likes this.
  16. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rikster, the detail in that model is awesome, I had to back track to see if it was a model. What did the sombrero'se come from ?
    Cheers Dago.

17. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks

The Sombrero's on this one where made from 1953 Cadillac sombrero's that where part of the Original Trophy series AMT 1949 Mercury. I found one of those at a friends partbox and made RTV mold from it to cast some resin copies. When I made the mold I noticed the mold (reversed image of the 53 hubcap) looked very much like a 48-49 Sombrero hubcap. So I made a mold from that mold and with some other trick I was able to cast a resin reversed version of teh 53 hubcap which now looked like the 48 hubcap... From that resin piece I made a new mold and later added a Cadillac crest which I casted in clear red resin.
    These where later put into production by Replicas & Minuatures Comp of Maryland.

Here is a close up...

[​IMG]

Its not 100% accurate... but lookes ok for me. (especially back then)

Now there are more Sombreros available from the model car aftermarket coms. Model Car Garage has a georgious turned Aluminum with photo ethced crest. The Modelhaus has one and the soon to be available all new chopped 49 Mercury from Revelll will have them included in the kit.

18. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Nice ride Rikster! It looks awesome :)

19. Krobe

Krobe

Rikster,
    Now if you could only blow that model up to full size, I'll buy at least one...

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Krobe,

Look out guys another Stray Kat is on board. Go checkout Riksters web
    site....

Thanks for the extra info. Hopefully the car will be in Salina at the KKOA
    show then I can see it in person.

Happy Trails,

Mick