Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Cshabang

Cshabang

looks good Andy!!!

2. Wow. Fuckin' perfect. How much would you say you ended up taking out?

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hard to answer exactly... with the 4dr b pillars being taller, I took about 6.5" out there, 5.5" out back and then just lowered the front down and trimmed the A pillars till it looked right. Your chop looks pretty close to this one, wouldn't you say?

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I've got two months till the jalopy showdown... the clock is tickin! Radiator should be here on friday, just gotta find a generator pulley and make a bracket to mount the generator and we'll see if it runs...

5. BigChief

BigChief

All you need is a hammer and an anvil. Have Tony show you how its done.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Too loud Mike!:D I stick it in the press and let hydraulics do the work! Speaking of Tony... is he gonna have his coupe ready for latimore?

7. kirby1374

kirby1374

or a big hammer and a boat trailer tongue........ I used the gap where the tongue is welded together and hammered till my hand ached.

8. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Thats F king KILLER!!!

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

10. Man that looks like a live robt williams painting

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

SO very awesome......but I'd like to give you a refund if you'd like to return it now please.....:D

Would you hate me if I said that I feel like those healights need to come back 6-8 so they're not out in front of the grille so much??? Probably running into something like a shock mount huh?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• New.jpg
      New.jpg
      File size:
      267.2 KB
      Views:
  12. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Those headlights are dead nuts!!!:D

13. BigChief

BigChief

The way he's been going I figured it'd be painted and wired by now..... actually we've got the short block and my buddy's starting to widdle on it in preparation for top mounted windmill.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are dead nuts now after I photoshopped them or they were in the original pic on the previous page?

15. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Fuckin' A is right... looks awesome! Cant wait to see it in person.

16. Man that is coming along NICE! A lot of people reading this probably have no idea how many actual hours of hard work it takes to accomplish that. You get a lot of respect from me! Good times ahead!

17. Kevins right it takes a keen eye for proportion .........and the drive it takes to put in the hours to make it reality helps!!

18. Lucky77

Lucky77

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

You are nailing this.

20. Yes, very close, that's why I was wondering. Yours looks a little lower. I would call mine five inches, so it makes sense. Again though, looks perfect, and I didn't have to start with a 4 door. Holy crap I can't imagine how much work that has been. My hat's off man. Also, for the record, I followed the Kiwi Kev chop closely as well. I too like the longer quarter window look.

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks again guys, it's been a wild ride so far! Jeff I'm gonna have to pass on the refund man, I got about 20k in sweat equity in this pos, hahaha! Like Kiwi Kev says, it's an unGODly ammount of work and I still have soooo much to do!

Jeff if I bring the headlights back any further the front edge of the hoodside smacks into them every time you open or close the hood and the front hood handle is hard to operate... at least at the height/width they're at. I actually brought them forward some to avoid that. It's still tight. I'm still playing around with them a bit and toying with the idea of a front tie bar for the mounts... I'm trying hard to concentrate on the critical crap to get it on the road at this point now that the body is almost done.

I attached the rear quarters to the subrails yesterday and got in the car and pushed things around with the portapower ( a jack and a 2x4 and a big long pry bar) until everything was pretty even. Looks like all my rear measurements are within 3/16" which is plenty close enough for me. There is still a bulge or two in various areas of the rear quarters that I'll have to try some heat shrinking and a little hammer/dolly work on but, man... I just sat out in the yard with a beer staring at the thing for an hour last night.

Can't wait to hear this sonofabitch bark!!! I'll post some video if/when I get it running.

thanks again to everyone who took the time to comment on my progress here, I get a kick out of you guys getting a kick, haha! and DOUBLE thanks to the guys who helped me out with parts and advice so far, especially Kiwi Kev for his detailed chop thread, what a great reference...

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Makes total sense. I forgot about the hood swinging up. And if you went wider then the tire probably would catch them. Form Follow function there I guess. Looks great!!!

I'm hoping to be at the Showdown so I'll be pulling for you to be there so I can get a ride around in the mud!

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'm sure there's a happy medium there somewhere, to be honest I just haven't messed with it much yet. details details... you got it man, see ya in may!;)

24. Sir, you have reinspired me! My avitar has been languishing in the garage since I went in the hospital with my late wife. I just couldn't get the passion back to work on the O/T wasanaltered. Now, you have me going again. I intend to save all the "bones" from the car and look for a more traditional body and chassis. Looks like the Vette will set on the driveway a while longer! Subscribed !Thanks, Mike

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Mike I'm very sorry to hear about your wife, you have my condolences. Glad you found some inspiration in my little thread here.

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

One more little job I've been dreading...
    [​IMG]

Cut a chunk out of the leftover 4dr driprail/roof section.
    [​IMG]

Pie cut and beat into shape...
    [​IMG]

Grind until bitchin'...
    [​IMG]

27. jreeder41

jreeder41

Great work as usual Andy!

28. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

That's a good quote right there! Looking good, man!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  29. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I love this thread!!!

30. Tony

Tony

Too loud my ass! With all the tin knocking and grinding you're doing you probably can't hear shit anyway! haha
    My arm hurt after i did mine anyway, use the hydraulics! :)
    As for my coupe and Latimore, won't be this year. I could physically get it done, but not financially. I figure it won't take much, but it'll take enough that it will make a May outing about impossible. Maybe Jesse's gig but i'm not going to rush it.
    Anyway, your coupe is looking REAL good man. Makes me want to cut something up! again..

Tony