Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '39 and '40 ford pickup beds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Apr 8, 2014.

1. I'm trying to rescue a 39 ford from a slow death as a street rod. This guy was trying to mount a ford ranger stepside ('95) bed on it.. Fast forward to last night- I'm at my Uncles place and he says he has an old trailer that somebody made from a a '40 ford bed. Now my first thought is that anything is better than that butt ugly ranger bed.
    Can anyone tell me if there's a big difference between the beds on a 39 vs 40 half ton pickup bed? Thanks- Greg

2. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

I'm thinking they are the same.

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

4. Great, thanks for the replies. I'll begin the process of tricking my uncle out of that bed then ;0

5. Beds and rear fenders are same '38-'41 1/2 ton 112" wheelbase. Inside width is 46". If it measures 49" inside width it's a '42-47 bed.

6. thanks 38Fordpickup....I didn't know that....

7. You're welcome. Having owned my truck close to 48 years, I've learned a lot of trivia about them. Ford widened the beds in '42 because more building materials were being made in 4' x 8' sheets. A sheet of plywood will lay flat in the '42 and later beds.