Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric specialty shop or individual in Dallas area? Stuck and frustrated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jemo, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jemo

jemo

My '59 Chevy has a AAW harness I installed. Runs fine but doing lots of weird things. Powers back on in ACC mode, rear taillight is on even with key OFF, fuel pump comes on sometimes, blinkers, flashers, and running lights don't work. I replaced the turn signal switch and checked all the wires as carefully as I can and have just about gave up. Need another set of eyes to go through and see what the hell I did wrong.

If anyone knows an individual in the Dallas area or a shop, I'd be willing to tow it or have the person come to my house.

Jeff

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You don't need another set of eyes, just some diagnostic basics, and a volt meter.
    Or maybe not even....just try disconnecting different circuits when the problem arises. Then you'll narrow it down to which set of wires to look at more closely. Sometimes it is as simple as a connector with wires in the wrong slot, or stray wire strands cross circuiting inside a connector. I've ven seen a light bulb where the filaments are crossed, so it backfeeds voltage to circuits that shouldn't have juice.
    Of course first, just check for voltage when the key is in different positions, might be a bad ignition switch....dont' discount things being bad just because they are new...with all the junk being made in China, I've seen LOTS of new parts fail, or not even work right in the first place!

3. What Chopolds said^^^ -also check your grounds- If you have crappy grounds you will get all sorts of confusing results. Grab a cheap multimeter and learn how to use it- trying to nut out an electrical problem without one is very tricky.
    good luck

4. jemo

jemo

Thanks guys. I'm crawling around and under the truck looking for hints. I'll let you know if I get it figured out.