Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake Problems With 50 F-1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbo50f-1, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jimbo50f-1

jimbo50f-1

Well it's been a while. But I'm having trouble with my brakes. They were working great for a while but now the front brakes stay engaged and don't release right away. Usually takes a minute maybe little less to release. My system consists of front disc conversion,dual res. master still under floor,adjustable proportion valve for rear drums , 2lb residual valve for front and 10lb residual valve for rear. Both residual valves right after master cylinder with new rubber hoses up front. I bled the front brakes again but still the same. Any ideas? Thanks Jim

2. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't believe you should be running a residual valve to the front disc brakes.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

His set up is just as it should be...OP didn't say if any difference between first start up and having been run for a while; cold/warm...I would suspect the front calipers have contamination issues, maybe more bleeding so as to flush out calipers might help but in the end may be looking at rebuild/replace...

4. Yes, sounds like its set up as it should be.
    My first thought is rotten hoses, but you say those are new. Second guess would be the push rod on your M/C is a fraction of an inch to long. That is if the front brakes stick after warming up.

5. jimbo50f-1

jimbo50f-1

They stick cold or warm.

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Check the push rod that goes into the m/c.....sounds to me it may not have any clearance, and is keeping pressure on m/c

7. jimbo50f-1

jimbo50f-1

Well I went out pulled callipers off dust seals still look brand new. He'll everything is basically band new. Anyway I didn't take pistons out. Just didn't think that could be the problem. But I guess that's probably next. I bled,bled ,and rebled , got great pedal. Fronts still locked up, dragging. Then I got back in pumped pedal a couple times , held and bam pedal went to floor, felt like something broke. Don't know what it was. I just went inside. Maybe master cylinder. Any way Ill mess with it later. Suggestions anyone , Jim