Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery Chrome Radius Rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 100% Matt, Apr 7, 2014.

1. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Scored these chrome radius rods at the swap meet this weekend. They measure 37" center to center. They are hollow in the center. However I really have no clue what they go too. Anybody seen these before?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396924483.840162.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Shortened Model A.

And that said, they could probably be made to fit any number of early Ford rear ends from '28-'48 with some work.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Not exactly the strongest or most desireable for a hotrod with big power. Model A radius rods are flimsy in their stock configuration but work fine, Split them as a suspension member and that's another story.

The rear backing plate flange bolt pattern on the axle housings is the same on 28-48 banjo rearends and 42-47 pickup open drive rearends so the mounting is not a problem.

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I have 39 rear in my A under the springs using the Model A rear perch spring mounts. My plan is to use 35-36 rear radius rods. I've been having a hard time finding a list of the different lenghs of early ford radius rods. I've found plenty of info on wishbones.

Im running a near stock 8BA with a 39 trans so excessive hp wont be an issue.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

5. alchemy

alchemy

As short as yours are, and the solid mount on the front, I'd guess they were for use on an unsplit but shortened A rear still using a torquetube.

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

Do not use them as traction bars! They will fold up once you apply power to them. Find a way to use them as Henry intended. They were only used to keep the rear axle perpendicular to the torque tube.

7. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I'm running fenders a near original Henry suspension ( unsplit bones)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!