Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 International, the Ugly Push Truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotzy, Apr 23, 2010.

1. english rob

english rob

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

My gramps had an IH truck & tractor dealership, and we had a pair of '56 S160's that were used for milk route duty- y'know, those milk cans you see in the antique stores these days. The guys hand- lifted every full can up to the flatbed deck, starting at 3AM every day- 14' x 8' flatbed, that's a lotta cans :eek: In '60 he bought a D500 Dodge with a 318 poly that was a comparative hotrod to the S160's 269 six and proved to be very good at blasting through overnight snowdrifts in the NY hills (never needed chains once in six years of duty) and put the S160's out of work. One S160 was kept and used as a grain truck, along with a '60 A160, and I learned how to drive a 4x2 at age 11 chasing the combines with that '56. That truck actually had big IH decals on the doors, as it had spent its first few months as a parts-runner for the dealership. The cab, which was shared with the R-series, was designed for a long 6, and the larger 406, 450, and 501 sixes fit every well- in fact I saw several R190's in the 70's that had been repowered with 220 Cummins engines. The V model also used a similar cab with the big 401, 461, 478, and 549 V8 engines. As I have a soft spot for these old Binders, it was hard to see a bellybutton Chebbie headed for the engine compartment of that cool old truck- that Jag engine just fits the six-cylinder working-truck heritage and the truck itself better, and is much more interesting than the bellybutton- glad to see it

3. hurnleft

hurnleft

Thanks for putting the link up.

The truck keeps moving on and should be painted and on the road in the late spring. I've stopped updating the R&S thread for now and will send some 'in progress', otherwise unseen, photos to a UK magazine that has asked about it.

Cheers, Bob.

4. hurnleft

hurnleft

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Not been on here for a while so thought it was time for an update.
    Mike has finished the chassis build up.
    Nearly all the new metal is in including the new rear end, and the paintwork is about half way.
    New front bumper has been made from parts of Rover P5 bumpers, and is off for blasting tomorrow.
    Dials are Jag and I have seats from another XJ6 to go in.

I'd love this to be ready for the NSRA Supernats in about 2 months (fingers and various other parts crossed).

Bob.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  5. hurnleft

hurnleft

Bed now nearly ready for paint.
    Bob.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hurnleft

hurnleft

It's now made it's first event, the UK NSRA Supernationals and I'm very pleased with how it's turned out.
    It still has a few teething troubles to sort and I've got to finish the interior and get a tonneau made for the bed, but all in good time as today I'm getting ready for another big UK event, the NASC Nationals. And as we know, getting it out on the street is the priority.

Cheers, Bob

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. I love the truck.
    I love the tail lights,what arethey from?
    And the 41_47 chevy truck,is it on the hamb?
    Is it the guy who has a 270 gmc on it?
    Enjoy.

8. hurnleft

hurnleft

Hi,
    Thanks for the comments.

The tail lights are a combination of Citroen 2CV headlight bowls, trailer lights and an odd orange lens I found. All on handmade brackets (assembled, as was almost all the truck, by Mike at Mustard City Speed in Norwich.

Not sure if the Chevy is on here, it belongs to Paul Snowdon who lives local to me. It runs a Small block Chevy and has an enormous air tank giving the fastest suspension rise/dump and the loudest air horns I've ever seen.

The middle car is Graham's Morris 8 with chopped roof and Rover V8.

Cheers, Bob.