Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Early Bird

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I dig the color picture. I think I could I actually fit in that coupe

3. haha

I was thinking the same thing. Beautiful little coupe.

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great choice for a subject today, ryan. love the powertrain combo.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Definitely a nice coupe and I am digging those exhaust manifolds....are those stock?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look to be a one off set of custom headers. Nifty little A coupe.

7. Wish there was a dash shot, from the one interior shot it almost looks chromed. Shifter looks like something from a Roth monster cartoon. Overall perfect barn find dream car for any of us today.

8. i am diggin this car, ive always loved the chromed and shiny cars of the late 50's early sixties, and its nice to see one without a 32 grill shell.

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nothing wrong with that 60's " hey look at me " style.........I kind of like that look....

thanks for the memories !

10. I wonder if that's the same Larry Ready from the LA Roadsters. His 32 hiboy is pretty trick, and was featured in the same issue of Street Rod Quarterly that my 38 was in.

11. i have larry's phone number and i talk to him regularly. I also have kept in touch with jeff tann the previous editor of rod and custom who currently own the car.
    I am building my model a coupe to his specs.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No shit? Any chance we can get a shot of the car now?

13. Looks like a 33-34 dash! I have always loved that car and engine choice!

14. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I too have always loved the look of that car. It would be great to see a lot more cars built with that kind of restraint today. While I often like chopped cars, I don't agree that they always need to be. Henry got it right to begin with.

I hope we can get a chance to see what it looks like now.

15. Heres the shot of the car today. It sucks he has a small block, independent front suspension the car was sold to jeff by larry in 67 with out a motor. The motor was used in larry's friends pick up and the dash is a 34 ford that he said he pulled out of a car in a washed up valley. The frame is stock rails with a 33/34 x member the motor was painted gloss black and it was in prime all through high school. If anyone would like any more info on the car i would be happy to inform you because its is my favorite model a coupe ever built.

Attached Files:

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I like the stance even better now! Completely agree, that is a badass ride then AND now. That pearlescent blue sure was sharp...

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The independent front is a bummer, but really that car has survived pretty intact. Nothing that couldn't be changed. Your buddy has done a good job keeping it under the roof so to speak.

18. at least it has fenders!

19. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

When Jeff was at the helm of R&C, the car was used in several tech articles. He has rebuilt it many times during his ownership. His writings about the car make it sound like he has a real love for the car, and its history.

20. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree, it's great to see that it has survived and nothings been done to it that can't be changed back.

21. i just spoke to larry a few minutes ago and he is going to send me some picture of the car when he was building it and how it was during high school so hopefully that will clear up alot of confusion. I will do my best at posting them online.

22. S.F.

S.F.

I like the aphosltered body panels, the bobbed rear fenders, and the tire to fender gap...its what makes it period

23. I was in the 9th grade when that HRM came out. Somewhere I still have the green rotogravure center pics I cut out and put on my wall. That was one of the ones that planted the seed. Thanks for resurrecting it.

24. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

You have pretty good taste for a kid, Ryan! That car was West Coast state-of-the-art for the '58-'61 period.

25. 2002p51

2002p51

Same here. The April, '61 issue was the first copy of Hot Rod I ever bought. (I still have it too!) I was 14 and that car is probably what hooked me on hot rods.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

27. codeblu

codeblu

Beautiful ride then and now, imagine...fendered, unchopped,painted, upholstered cars can be traditional....that would be nice trend. Sometimes when they're done right...they're done right.

28. Always been one of my favs too, of course the fact that it has a "Y" in it doesn't hurt. :D Cool headers too.

29. Fenders

Fenders

Spacious gap? It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess....
    Oddly bobbed? I guess you like the look of the dragging rear fender tails...
    But hey, you like it anyway.
    I like it as is.