Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My lost and forgotten 51 AD chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PurdueSD, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Is it a barn find if its been in my dads barn for 16 years?

I bought this truck when i was 13. It was going to be my first car....hah! I abandoned it about 2 years later when i found my 54 which is in much better shape. Well i am 29 now with a 5 week old so, lets try this again!

Ive had the itch lately start turning this one into a crusty driver since the 54 is a much more involved build that i haven't touched for years. So i dug this out of my dads barn today after its 16 year hibernation.

I am trying to put together a direction for this project. So far this is what i have come up with...

- Paint- The truck has an awesome natural patina. So despite some rust here and there, I want to leave the paint as is and actually enjoy part of the hot rod hobby i have never gotten too... driving a hot rod! I know, sad isn't it.

-The bed is a basket case. It flops all over the place, so i am thinking strengthening it up with some box tub and braces, throw a floor in it and use the hell out of it. Thought about a flatbed or even some repop bed sides and fenders, but would hate to loose the old paint.

-Trim- repop chrome and cream grille and some bumpers. The rest stays as is.

-Wheels/Tires - Black oe style wheels or some chrome oe/ smoothies with WW.

-Suspension- Dropped front axle with a couple leafs removed. Blocks- rear.

-Drivetrain- revive and rock the 235/216 (not sure what it actually is yet, my dad and I got it free and swapped it in running 15 years ago. Any help?) at least a while until i can afford something cooler. Hopefully at some point ditch the torque tube rear. The point here is not tear apart to much and actually be able to drive the thing.

What do you guys think? Ideas? Input?

This will be my first hot rod if i can pull it off... So take it easy on me, I lurk and admire a lot, but don't post much.

Here's what she looks like as of today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Moondog13

Moondog13

It's a 235. Get her running and drive the piss out of it! She looks solid! I'm all for shiny paint though. :D

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bed flops because you are missing the end cap piece that goes at the back of the bed under the tailgate. You are also missing the cross members that attach the bed to the frame. These are pretty inexpensive pieces-----you can get them from any number of resto shops. There are a couple here in Indiana. Both are usually at the Super Sunday swap meet in Indianapolis at the State Fair grounds. The Nov. meet is this coming Sunday.

I am just finishing a build on a 48 (same as your 52) for my wife, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There is a ton of information on building these trucks here on HAMB. I may have some extra parts, depending on what you need once you get into the build.

So, what ever happened to the 54?

4. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

That is a lot more solid than what you find around me. Looks like a real nice start to your hot rod. Good luck.

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

good luck & keep us posted.
    congrat on the youngen.

6. Thanks!

The 54 cab is in a corner waiting for metal work, the hood, the front and rear fenders and bed are in the attic in filler primer ready for final prep and paint.

Thanks guys! How to tell its a 235? Splash or full oil? Any suggestions on a general direction for the project?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

bed looks solid except for missing braces its a pretty decent looking old truck i even dig the old color , get it runnning and fix it up and drive it

8. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

Solid looking truck, Drop it as low as you can, i like the idea of the wide whites

9. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

The valve cover looks like the newer style full pressure motor. If it was me I'd get it running and driving good and go from there :)

10. you should be able to get it running with little effort.

11. Well its been a while since i've updated this thread. Turns out the 52 is actually a 51. Time is a scarce resource these days, but i have managed to make some progress.

Small update:

Found some spare hours to work on the engine and bed:

Engine update: Turns out the engine is a full pressure 235 from 1954. It turns over with the starter pretty easily. Cleaned and gaped the points/ New coil/ plugs/ ballast resistor, some gas dumped down the carb... nope... nothing yet. I guess ill replace the plug wires, condenser and points and try again. The spark at the plugs seems awful weak. I'm no engine mechanic and it shows.

Bed: Little bigger updates here. Spent some time replacing some sheet metal in the rear stake pockets. This was badly needed so i have something to bolt the new tailgate and rear valance to.

Here are what i started with:

[​IMG]

Little patch here and one there...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And mocking up the tailgate so i can try to get the spacing right to drill the holes for the rear valence which had long since rusted in peace:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. oldman2

oldman2

Looking good. When you get ready to install the rear cross sill, make sure you line up holes in mount with frame holes, and check bed for squareness, before final install of the sill. Good luck and keep us posted.

13. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

LOOK!
    Your truck is crying little tears of joy! It is happy to be out of the barn and will do whatever it can to make this an easy build. I have a good feeling about this one!

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

15. ironhead68

ironhead68

You might consider a change-over to 12volts, quite simple.
    Certainly try cranking that motor with 12volts.(lights and heater off)
    For what you are doing here, stovebolt.com is your friend also.

16. Hah, crying its eyes out...

Thanks for the encouragement!

This little update brings me it to current. Front bed panel replaced. Tailgate, rear valence in. Threw a 54 bumper i had laying around on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Im running 12V. The new coil is a 12 volt coil. Thanks though, appreciate the suggestion! I cant imaging trying to get the engine started after all the sitting on 6V. It turns over really good.

18. Moondog13

Moondog13

Awesome, awesome, awesome! She already looks a million times better! Keep 'er up! :D

19. 76cam

76cam

Also you might check the lifters and see if they'er hyd. or solid.I just did all that to one in a 52 and found out that it had hyd. lifters and they wouldnt pump up and the hyd lifters are hard to come buy but i did find some on ebay for 125. Take off the valve cover to see it the rockers are moving.

20. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Nice! I'm glad you kept the original bed. I like the direction you are going, look foward to more progress.

21. Well, the serial number on the block is 3835911. Based off what I dug up online, this is a 1954 235 that would have come with a powerglide. SO i guess that means it was a 235 out of a car. The powerglide equipped 235s all had hydraulic lifters. Please correct me if someone knows any different!

Now with risk of showing my ignorance, what do i need to look for with the valve cover off? Just make sure the valves all are opening and closing while i crank the starter? From what little i understand about hydraulic lifters, there is no adjustment (lash i believe). So is it either opening/ closing or not? ( Rocker Movment good, no movement bad?) Sorry for the dumb question. I just have never been educated on engine internals and have no experience.

22. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Shop time was well spent - looking good

23. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

You want to make sure they are all pumping up and holding pressure.
    Have you changed oil? I am quite sure after sitting up that long
    some of them have bled down.

24. Can you elaborate how to check they are pumping up and what to check? Sorry! Oil looks good, just want to hear the engine fire and not knock before i replace all the fluids and clean her up.:cool:

25. Check your truck serial number to get the actual year. The first number designates year. If it starts with a 9 it is a 49, 2 would be a 52.

26. I did, truck is a 51 motor is a 54...

Any help with the lifters?

27. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

well gee...you left the key turned ON...no wonder it didn't start right up...sheesh...kids

28. gonzo

gonzo

Great truck I've been wanting to do a similar build but haven't found a good vehicle to start with yet.

29. FLAHotRodder

FLAHotRodder
    from Ocala,FL

looks good so far

30. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

The engine should fire and the rockers should move even though the hyd. lifters are flat. With the valve cover off when you crank the engine over you should see the rockers moving.

When it fires, if the lifters are flat and refuse to pump up you will have a lot of valve train noise and a lack of power.