Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Aug 29, 2012.

1. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Will be my first at Hershey, went to Carlisle this past spring. Got my reservations.

2. noboD

noboD

The easy answer is YES. Yes, it's Hershey and prices are rediculous. And yes, there are people just getting rid of stuff. Three years ago friends had there hands on a Roof head for a Model T, layed it back down for the next guy beacuse they didn't want it. It was $40!!!

3. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

loading up the trailer.

[​IMG]

4. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I've been down in the barn today getting parts together. A lot of it will be there just to get rid of and the good stuff too. I'll be there Tues afternoon until saturday.
    Stop by my spaces RCL 28-29. Park your ass and rest your feet and if you want a place to leave treasure I'll keep it for you. Look for the 3/4 ton white 454 Suburban and an old hotrodder snoozing in a chair......:eek:

5. busch167

busch167

atomickustom
    Like skidmarks stated the prices vary, last year I looked thru a large box of parts a vender had and found a NOS chrome headlight bulb retaining ring for a 39 chevy (in the GM box), he told me $5. But some other venders, I said thank you and walked away because I thought an item was way over priced. It is worth the trip.

6. longgoner

longgoner
    from western ny

Don't know if it's true but I've heard that it's the biggest swap meet in the U.S. Not only do the buyers come from all over but most importantly, so do the venders. Being from the rust belt it's hard to believe the quantity and quality of unusal stuff. Yeah, there's some junk and inflated prices but it's not the norm. People are friendly and knowledgeable. I always look forward to hershey week.
    More and more is on blacktop each year ..... unfortunately, very little of the parking has been .... heavy rain there really sucks.

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

Never been,but want to go.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everyone that goes to Hershey will have a different answer, but I still find stuff i want at good prices. Not everyone knows what they are selling, or what market price is. Sure, the '32 Ford stuff goes for '32 Ford money, but there are spaces full of dollar pile items. Save up your money so you can spend it next year. Bob :)

9. Terrence

Terrence

I always find the guy on the corner behind Brookville roadster is wayyyyyy overpriced though.

10. noboD

noboD

Yea, but he always has some good stories.

11. atomickustom

atomickustom

Thanks to all who answered my question about prices.
    I don't care how many dealers have their prices jacked way up as long as I know there are also people there selling things reasonable or cheap just to get rid of them. I have been to many, many swap meets in my day (just nothing as huge as Hershey) and that's how most of them are.
    I was just afraid it was all professional dealers, what with being so famous and all. It is hard to get a good deal off of someone trying to make a living as a middleman.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

That guy is rarely at that spot, are you sure the stories were in fact told by him? Bob :rolleyes:

13. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I'd say 95% of the vendors are guys just like me who have some stuff stashed away in a barn that they will never use. load up a trailer or pickup and , hopefully, go home empty.
    Trouble is, when he sells his parts he goes out and buys some more and drags THAT home.
    Best thing about Hershey is that they keep out the yard sale junk unlike carlisle.

14. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only my 3rd year of attending Hershey. Everyone needs to go at least once. It is amazing the parts and cars you see there!

15. good point,one of the guys that watch that spot when he isn't there, is known for typ...i mean talking too much. ;)

16. white64

white64
    from Maine

Flying down, going to Hersey 11th and 12th with my big brother, and nephew, looking for 60's f100 stuff and odd and ends for my AV8...
    ... I suspect there will be a lot of HAMBers there and will walk right past guys there that I've talked with, watched their builds and many that have helped me solve problems on my builds.

Too bad there wasn't some way to meet some of you guys! Is there a HAMB tent or something?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ YES! C4J-41-42 Look for the HAMB banner and sige it. Just stopped at the sign shop to order this years banner. I'm right next to the Brookville trailer on the end of Main street in the chocolate field. All HAMB members are welcome to leave parts at the space, to save trips to your car. Food vendor is just across the isle from me. Bob

18. white64

white64
    from Maine

Thanks BOB!! ...that is great to know stuff right there!! I will stop by!

19. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

Haven't gone in the last few years but looking forward to it this year. We use to camp there back in the late 80s. Use to be asshole deep in mud until they paved. That was the good old days, takes 3 days to go thru everything...Dan

20. Charlie, I remember there was a time that a lot of the folks selling up there looked down on hot rodders. Didn't want them cutting up thier stuff. Any different now? I'm afraid the only day I can get up there is Friday. Is it still worth the trip?

21. banjorear

banjorear

Yeah, a lot different now. Still some hard core restorers still, but a lot of cool hot rod stuff as well.

By now, the stuff that the hard core stocker guys squirreled away 20 years ago is only good for hot rod stuff anyway.

I do agree that the real, real nice stuff shouldn't be cut up too badly, but if you buy it do what you want with it.

34th year going to Hershey and I'm 41 years old.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

There may be a few old holdouts, but for the most part people just want to unload unwanted things. Most times I sell something for over $100.00 the buyer had a Hot Rod related T shirt on and just steps up and pays, no song and dance got to ask the wife Restorer deal. Bob:)

23. atomickustom

atomickustom

24. noboD

noboD

I'm anxious to see how the car corral goes this year, lots of drama going on already. Last year they tried to throw out a Pininfarrina as a kitcar. I witnessed it !

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Car Corral is an annual after dinner walk for us, always fun trying to guess the prices on things. I'll shock everyone and admit my favorite car in the Corral last year was a TOTALLY restored 1959 Mercury Station Wagon. Whatever the price was is was way under the cost to restore it. Add a trailer hitch and you'd have a race car hauler. Bob

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Back in "The Good Old Days" when the fields were fields, vendors would stay open after dark with Colman lanterns. Now that we're all on pavement with lights that stay on all night long most vendors are closed by 5 or 6 and totally disappear. It is really odd walking around at night spotting stuff to check out the next morning. Bob

27. sawzall

sawzall

So true

28. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Looking forward to going again this year been doing it for some time now over 30 years. First year I attended I entered a Drag Altered into the race car class. Boy did that make some waves with the restorer types. But because of that little old drag altered many more Hot Rod and Drag cars have been shown. Looking forward to this year when I get my stickers. Hint Hint Bob

29. my wife is holding my stickers hostage till i finish some honeydo projects.