Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Nerf Bar

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Last weekend I was given a copy of Custom Car Volume 1 Number 1 published in 1957. It has an article on nerf bars. There were some pretty squirrely arrangements back in the day. It is a tough look to accomplish well. You're more than welcome to the magazine if you want it. Sans cover so no real collector value.

3. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I definately agree with the “cool” and “awkward” part. I've seen some that look like something out of a jeep parts catalog stuck on cars that they made look worse. To me, they either need to be small and subtle, or if they're the big full size one, they have to have rounded ends, and follow the shape of the end of the body they are protecting. I've really wanted to do a set like the ones on Billy Gibbons 36 3 window for my coupe. The ones on the California Kid are also nice. Although it is hard to beat the ones on McCoy's 40. I bet that's probably the car people associate nerf bars with the most.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

5. I have alway's liked the look of fat fendered Fords with a simple set of nerf bars. I plan on running them on my '46, something along the lines of these...

Attached Files:

• 140.jpg
      140.jpg
      File size:
      4.2 KB
      Views:
    Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  6. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

This is the one my dad made for a 37 he built he built a few years ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    Deuces, FlatJan, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  7. I am always thinking of Nerf bars for some reason. I think they should be functional, so you truly can "nerf" something and have them hold up.

Kennedy, that one is truly unique and VERY cool!

dana barlow likes this.
  8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Piero's classis solution....
    [​IMG]

9. vegas

vegas

The ones pictured in this thread so far look good, but most of the time I see them, I always imagine how much better the car would look without them. Some make the car look like it is wearing the front part of a footbal helmet, and this always makes me wonder why they are attached to the car.

10. Jimv

Jimv

Always liked them & they were a "Stable" in the 50's! You were Off the scale if it had your initial in the center of it!

JimV

11. yblock292

yblock292

I have always liked them but wonder , why are they called "nerf"?

12. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

simple and elegant, whats so hard about that?

Seriously though, I think its a combination of the bar size, angles, curve radius', and the overall effect with a particular vehicle. Can't be distracting, obtrusive, busy and bulky. But can't be weak and wimpy either. To me it has to also at least appear functional.

13. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

And one of the rear Nerfs...

Attached Files:

Deuces, brEad and JWindsor13 like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... Brilliant...

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's a couple more shots of the one you posted. Love that car!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not favorites but....
    [​IMG]

The classic Dr. Wetzel roadster....
    [​IMG]

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

DS's nerf bar/headlight mount counts right? Classy out the assy.
    [​IMG]

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ya know this raises the question if my '35 needs one? I never want to buy a '35 Grille because they are hard to come by and expensive as all hell. I like the idea of two separate single push bar type deals but that's not enough protection. I also don't want it to be too flashy so I'd have to do some thinking. I was going to change over '40 bumpers but I like them better in the back then I do in the front so maybe this was the perfect kick in the ass to start thinking of a tasteful nerf bar out in front of The Wiczard!

19. mj40's

mj40's

I have had the same fascination. Had a friend with a set on his 32 5window in the early 60's. I ended up with those and run them on the front of my 40 in the mid 60's. I still have them. I've been thinking about building a set for my 40 pickup project but then I think about the cost to chrome them and bought bumpers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  20. Bull

Bull

Nerfs front and rear on my Titus-built Tudor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  21. cruzr

cruzr

Heres my rear..........nerf that is

Attached Files:

Tim and brEad like this.
  22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Squeak's,
    but these are bordering on being called bumpers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TP

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As an aside, and not to cause a big controversy, does anyone know why the hot rod guys call these tiny custom bumperettes "nerf" bars and the oval racers call them bumpers? I realize that in the early days oval and straight-line cars and their builders were often one in the same, but the no turning allowed crowd only needs a rear bumper / push bar. Anything else is just extra weight. Oval racers need protection all around but they call their side bars "nerfs" and the front and rear bars are still called bumpers. And they are made to be used and take quite a bit of punishment. Yet regardless of the sporting arena, a majority of these bars are almost always made in the same way and with the same materials. Of course the hot rodders bumpers (nerfs) differ significantly when it comes to style / personalization and normally don't offer any significant protection, other than perhaps protecting your grille insert. I really like the looks of these bars, whatever you call them then or now, because the reflect a little style from days gone by. Chrome / stainless bars really dress up any race car or hot rod / custom, eh? Anyone know? Care? Gary

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Me too ?

25. squirrel

squirrel

anyone ever heard of wikipedia? may not be the right answer, but it is an answer

"A "nerf" is a small, sometimes intentional, collision between two cars in which one driver bumps the other to facilitate a successful pass. The nerf bar protects the sides of the vehicles and also keeps their tires from becoming entangled."

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Gary, I wondered that too. When does a nerf bar become a bumper? Is it thickness, or width?
    The one on Chris Casny's could be either, and it looks great.

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I've built a BUNCH! ...and your right, it's a fine line. I think the answer lies somehwere in the magic of looking like it "might" actually be functional but it's NOT, as oppossed to actually being big and strong enough to take a "bump".

Here's a few I've done over the years.

Attached Files:

• 5317.jpg
      5317.jpg
      File size:
      288.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5287.jpg
      5287.jpg
      File size:
      268.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5785.jpg
      5785.jpg
      File size:
      535.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5232.jpg
      5232.jpg
      File size:
      497.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1704.JPG
      1704.JPG
      File size:
      239.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1706.JPG
      1706.JPG
      File size:
      240.2 KB
      Views:
  28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

few more

Attached Files:

29. I've beeen looking at my optional "factory" front nerf on my 48. To mt it looks too bulky. I havent got to that point yet, but I was considering removing the fron bumper an modifying the existing nerf to fit sans bumper and bumperettes. I definately want to tighten up the front and rear somehow though.

[​IMG]

30. S.F.

S.F.

Thanks Ryan...Im big on nerf bars. Alot of people dont do them anymore but it was a big part of hot rodding in the 50's and early 60's. I especially like the one's with the builders initials in them (hokey maybe?) but its still kool....

Atwater Mike likes this.