Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical All Time Roadsters

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 13, 2008.

1. That's easy:

1. Tom McMullen's '32 (street racer FAST)

2. Tommy Ivo's T bucket (ditto)

3. Tony Nancy's '29 on '32 rails (blown flatty, ran 10's)

Sam

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's the one! :D

I love it.. even with it's too-tall headlights, goofy nerf bar setup, and mile-high carbs.

It's a perfect example of an early '50s 'tweener, built between the lakes racers and the show rods.

[​IMG]

3. 1929rats

1929rats

The choice for me is an easy one. They happen to be all old new england (Massachusetts) hot rods....Is it result of growing up here in MA and being exposed to these cars growing up? I dont know....but these are hands down my favorite. the first and the third are probally lesser known cars nationwide but, well know and respected cars in the northeast.

The first is owned by Tyrod member Al Hovagimian (spl?) with vintage ford power, nice channel and beautiful green paint. The stance of this car in person is just perfect. Two years ago ('07) a clone of this rod was debuted with flathead power at the tyrods 34th meet (I think Im right about that -pretty sure at least, if Im wrong, Im sure a local will correct me).

The second is fred steel's '32 ford roadster. Over the last year Ive gotten friendly with Fred and have asked/questioned him quite a bit about this car. Couple things that standout for me again is the 296 inch flatty with a four carbed manifold chromed to the max. The infamous channel job and "hot rod purple" paint (as my club would call it) makes it one of THE quintessential roadsters of all time. I think the rake on this car is perfect!

Last, my favorite roadster that has been a staple at rod meets for many years in new england is the Bob Jepson Model A on B rails with vintage hemi power. EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR IS PERFECT IN MY EYES. I wish I had some better pictures of the car to share, but I havent seen the car in a while (or since I bought a digital camera)

Thats my 3 cars, and really my "Dream list"! great idea here for this thread!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  4. VanHorton

VanHorton

nice last choice with the 32 Bullington, that'd be in my garage too.

Along with this bad boy
    [​IMG]

and Im feelin the calori roadster right now too.

5. guy1unico

guy1unico

Henry Astor Founder of The American Hot Rod Foundation has the sweetest 32 Tudor chopped on the planet and a beautiful 32 roadster. the 3rd car would have to be my 63 Chevy pick up (short box big winder 283 3 on tree dropped). I'll find pics some day.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Ray Brown's roadster.

[​IMG]

He worked for Eddie Meyers and his roadster ran 125 mph @ the lakes. It is a very different green ... but nice.

7. Lucky77

Lucky77

Man Ryan, couldn't we have a ten car pole building? Picking three is almost impossible. My number one is without a doubt the Doane Spencer 32. It's closely followed by Frank Mack's T and the Joe Nitti deuce.

Attached Files:

8. spencer
    mcgee
    mcmullen

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

1. Doanes
    2. McMullens
    3. a 36 ford (so I could build a westerdgard style custom)

was westergard 36 a roadster ? (if so then it would be #3

10. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Great thread.

My all time favorite roadster was neither a famous car, or even well known outside of my hometown of maybe 1500 people but it was the FIRST real hot rod I got to see built and got to see up close.

Flash back to small town Oklahoma about 1964/65. The local gas station / Jeep dealer was Landwehr Motors. Marvin Landwehr had been the Willys/Kaiser/Frazier dealer for years but by this time only the Jeep line was still going strong.

His middle son Stuart started building a 29 Model A roadster PU. Short bed, welded shut doors, Olds J2 engine with the three dueces. And to this 15 year old it was the COOLEST thing I had ever seen. Short wheelbase and just the right proportions, like it rolled out of the magazines I had been reading since I was about 10.

I am sure it wasn't as neat as I remember but the memory is sweet.

The brothers got bit by the racing bug and the Olds gave way to a 327 sbc with Hillborn injection. The front end was raised to the sky for better weight transfer and a simple sharp, perfect (in my 15 year old eyes) hot rod was gone.

I've asked the boys what ever happened to it but they don't know and don't seem to care. The memory of that perfect little roadster is still with me and will always be one of my favorites, one I would own if I could, if it still existed.

No pics to show, which may be a good thing, like long lost love it is sometimes sweeter as a memory.

11. My number one would be to have my original 29 back. I wouldn't need any others. As it was in this '63 picture it won class at the Winternationals car show, and a week later it won B/SR at the Winternationals set both ends of the national record, and with a lean pill in the Hilborns it was hauling me and my future wife on dates.

If I had to pick a number two it would be the Sadd-Teague & Bentley 268 MPH "barn door" 29. To put my ass in any seat Al Teague has sat in would be an honor.

And number three would be Scotty's Ardun T.

Attached Files:

12. beatnik

beatnik

Picking 3 is hard, but I'm going with these:

Tom Beaty's
    An honest, working mans, speed machine. No Frills and not that pretty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deal Lowe's RPU
    I just love it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Louie Wolf's
    Everyone needs a 32 Roadster and this is as good as any for a street car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gus

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  14. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Hey--I've been promoted from FNG to Newbie. Woohoo. I hadn't seen the Osgood car before. Man do I dig that Auto Union-esque front end. I'd vote for finishing it up in bare aluminum--it would be even cooler as our Brit friends say it---al-you-mini-um.

Cool thread,

Joe

15. Brandi

Brandi

YES!! Love this car.

My votes are:

- Spencer
    - Brown
    - And then a toss-up between Baskerville and Rich Guasco circa '58 for the pure spirit of the owners of these cars.

Interesting that I picked almost all 32s, since I really want a 29.

16. Grabowski's T in it's first incarnation, the John Athans/Elvis roadster and this, because my fat ass wouldn't fit too well in a T and it would run the pants off either of them:

Attached Files:

17. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

18. Here's one more I forgot about. Joe Nitti's.

Attached Files:

19. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

Ala Kart
    Baskerville's deuce
    Doane Spencer's deuce

Yeah, I'd be a smilin' fool if my garage was filled with these three.

20. ehdubya

ehdubya

It looks like Doane's is taken and those track noses make the tub look hippy and I've never liked tube bumpers, I'd be happy with 3 scungey comp cars, even a non Ford:eek::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  21. Excluding my own 32 ford roadster I have to pick:

Blackie Gejeian's "Shish-Kebab T"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joe Nitti's roadster
    [​IMG]

Doane Specer roadster
    [​IMG]

22. Sorry can't pic just three, I would need a much bigger garage:D

23. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Gotta go with Neikamp, Flynt one or two. Construction was probably better on the
    Neikamp car. Two I thought might get mentioned, Bud Bryan and the Dick Courtney
    29's. Can anybody post pic of a Courtney 29?

24. myke

myke
    from SoCal

My garage: Henderson, Spencer, Simmons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Thats tough if you are limiting it to three

Osgood
    [​IMG]

Fitzgerald (not my photo, but thanks to whoever took it)
    [​IMG]

The third is tough...
    [​IMG]
    ...but the Berardini Bros. car is pretty awesome, it would be a toss up between this the Spencer car, Don Waite's '27 T (can't find a pic sorry),
    Lentz's Golden Rod
    [​IMG]

Damn, just too many cool ones.

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

While this is a fun topic.....the truth is, if money really was NO object, I personally wouldn't want ANY of the cars listed......I'd have the money to build my own, rather than own someone else's vision. Plus more than just a measily 3 car garage...hahaha!

IF, and that's a big if, I were to own any of the roadsters mentioned, I'd still HAVE to make changes to 'em to suit my tastes.....

27. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

I'd pick:

Wally Parks '29
    Spencer's
    Blackie's Shish Kabob (even though i'd never fit in it...)

-scott noteboom

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great thread and lots of worthy choices. Ryan's and Metalshapes' lists both resonate for me, but mine is slightly different. 3 classic hot rods, each the best in its distinctive style:

1. Spencer's deuce, for all the obvious reasons:
    [​IMG]

2. Dick Williams' '53 AMBR T, with its incredible workmanship. This belongs to Blackie Gejeian now, and really deserves to be restored to its original color & wheels, as shown here:
    [​IMG]

3. Ivo's T. A trend setter, beautifully detailed, and faster'n shit:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  29. rumblytruck

rumblytruck

Neikamp
    Spencer
    Yer Ol' Dads to DRIVE !

30. WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW me likes!!!!! good eye buddy good eye