Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tail lights problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32highboy54, Jul 21, 2013.

1. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Here's my problem. I found some tail lights housing and sockets I want to use on my 32. They are old 6 volt style. I am keeping the the sockets but I switched out from a single contact to a dual contact pigtail. I am getting juice to the pigtail but when I turn on the head lights the tail lights won't go on. Even if I touch one of the contact on the pigtail with the prob tester I get juice.

2. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

make sure the the housing and the socket are both grounded. When I installed mine I had to use a rat tail file and clean the bore where the socket goes through.

3. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Thanks will give that a try

4. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Maybe once you sand or rat file it, reassemble with a little di-electric grease where it makes its ground.

5. jan bogert

jan bogert

do u have a 6 volt system, or a 12 volt? I know on my 6 volt system, I had to ground the housing an the more ground the better.

6. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

It works just fine now..tank you

7. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

The bulb and the contacts in the socket may not be aligned correctly. If you are using a 1157 bulb, you may have to do a bit of surgery on the socket so that the indexing pins on the bulb ensure that the bulb is firmly seated against the contacts in the socket.

Oh well, I guess I didn't type fast enough. Disregard please.

8. Won't work unless one of the wires are grounded. HRP

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

Sounds like you got it.

The socket housing always needs grounded wether it is through the light housing or a ground wire coming off the socket housing

6 -12 volts, makes no difference.