Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods >>1935 Ford Coupe: An Idiots Guide To Buiding A Hot Rod PART THREE!!!<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, May 30, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's been a long time since I have updated you all on the status of my '35 Ford so last Saturday I dragged it out of my garage and took some pics with my phone and kind of come to terms with what has been done in the 9 months since my last update and what lies ahead.

As some of you know it's been a crazy year with my son Memphis being born and his complications but he's doing great and growing up to be a happy and healthy boy. I probably under estimated the amount of time it takes to raise him his first year. Even when I am not doing something directly with him my time gets ate up by supporting my wife so that she can be the best mom that she can be....so basically I have not been getting as much time on the car as I would have anticipated which is why I'm still chipping away and not driving this SOB right now. Memphis' medical bills have also taken the extra funds out of our pockets which not makes even small things like brake lines and such a hassle to get.

But enough with all that you want want to know about the car right? No? Well I do damn it and getting that car out into the driveway over this past weekend was a major kick in the ass for me. I needed to see it back on the ground and where it's going to get me motivated and back on the horse. So I hope you enjoy these pics even though they're not off a good camera but it'll do until I take some more detailed ones with my regular camera.

Stone....as in Sly. I picked up a full set of Firestone letters from Novatattoo this spring and I am so stoked to have them....unfortunately I have only had time to put up the "F" so fa so I dragged the rest out for the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The engine is in the car and everything fits great. The full HURST mount with all the trimmings looks great and seems to give me the extra space for exhaust to run down.
    [​IMG]

My work on my Weiand WC4D intake is far from close to being run but I am making a little progress. I switched from 94's to 97's after trading with Brett For Christ. Then through a few more trades I had enough to supply Strombergs to all my cars. Not sure how that happened but there are a bunch of them in my garage now, some 48's, some 97's but I am excited to get familiar with them and use them exclusively on all my cars like the rest of yall. One thing that I have been going back and forth with is whether I should be rebuilding them or I should send them off. Well as much as I'd like to send them off, Scootermcrad convinced me otherwise....well him and the lack of $$$$$. So the plans now are to send the bodies and bases to UNCLE MAX for a refinish in a chromate dip, black epoxy painted bases and newly reemed and rebushed throttleshafts. I tore them all down and removed the emulsion tubes as well as gave them a dusting in my glass bead cabinet so that he won't have to use any of him precious elbow grease. After I get them back I'll order all new resto parts as well as rebuild kits to reassemble them in the comfort of my own kitchen...I mean garage.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I get those 97's on there I'll probably rebuild this Complete 1959 Vette unit I picked up a couple years ago to break in the cam and get it running right.
    [​IMG]

The fresh 265 is going to be pretty cool and I am super stoked about it. It's not grease fire hot but should put out close to 250hp with everything being dialed in to a 1957 Corvette engine with use of a 097 cam, '57 heads with a port and polish, .125" over bore, yada yada yada. And of course that engine will be hooked up to the venerable '39 Ford trans by the way of and OFFY adapter. The trans and everything hooked up great after I figured out the little snag with the rear trans mount (Thanks Chris!) and I was able to use the only clutch linkage that was made by the PO to get it all working. But just incase I get a little silly there are two more trans' on the shelf that I can use incase something happens.
    [​IMG]

I also spent two nights sanding my vintage Mallory Dual Point Dizzy by hand with finer and finer grit of sand paper. The end result looks pretty rad and should really look cool with the new Clear Red spark plug wires and NOS vintage 90º RAJAH ends...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of Course this wouldn't be an IDIOTS GUIDE without some mixups. So after I got everything painted suspension wise I went ahead and assembled the front axle with new kingpins and bushings etc and then went to hook up the draglink and tie rods. That's where I realized that I didn't drop the steering arms enough and that the tie rods were hitting the wishbone. Doh! So I had a my friend Del and Dustin help me break out the torch and drop them another 2 inches to clear everything. I need to get in there and retouch the paint where it burnt off but other then that the front end looks great with the durant monoleaf and axle dropped by my good homie JORDAN GRAHAM.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the back suspension I went with a POSIES rear spring after one showed up with my '33 when I traded for it. I took it over my home made reversed eyed spring because there where a lot of pits in the original and I didn't really like that. I coupled the POSIES with some longer shackles form VERN TARDEL and painted them up before reassembling. I should note that I forgot to install AXLE keys (double DOH!) and since I have to do that I bought some Tardel Safety brackets to hold those wheels on incase I break and axle.
    [​IMG]

I also bought some rear 47-48 shock mounts from my buddie Chris here on the HAMB and cleaned them up (because you know Chris is a rat rodder and only deals with really rough and patina'd shit) with a wire wheel on a 4" grinder and then etch primed them and sprayed them with hammertone paint this past weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Somewhere around October I decided that all that hard work my good friends did for me while I was staying in the hospital with my son should be reversed in order to clean up the underside of the car. If I didn't do it now I probably would have never done it. I don'e have great pics of the underside but lets just say a whole month's weekends were devoted to laying on my back with a 4" grinder with attached wirewheel getting rid of the grime, surface rust and shit underneath the car in order to get ready to paint it with POR-15. I had POR on my skin for weeks and weeks and weeks. The end result however looks awesome and is proof that not every car needs to come off the frame. You can do a decent job if you're not afraid to get dirty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found this when I was cleaning/painting. Signs of a '39 ford tail light? Alright I got a barn find survivor now hahaha!!!
    [​IMG]

More shots of how nice the inner fenders turned out even though they are shitty pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After all that I decided to run the brake lines, install the new gas tank, mount the Carter P4070 electric fuel pump and filter. For the fuel pump I took a piece of heavy duty angle iron and cut it so that I could add another 2" at the top to form an "L". I welded that up and drilled to holes on the bottom to mount to the frame. I made the piece so that when the fuel pump is mounted it sits level as ride height. Not sure if that matters but I thought it was kind using my noggin'. Fuel Pump is also insulated with a rubber mount to cut down on noise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also made a small mount for the fuel filter using a small scrap of steel and a hose clamp. I just wanted everything to stay in it's place.
    [​IMG]

Installed the gas tank that I got from Sawzall here on the HAMB. Nice tank but caution to anyone replacing a tank on these cars that does not want to remove the body. It's sucks....not like a pain in the ass sucks but more like a kick in the balls kind of sucks. It involved me cutting the filler neck off with a tiny blade with stroked about .75" long. Then I basically had to pry that fucker out since I just didn't see any other way. Getting the new one back in was a little easier although I think I installed those spring bolts in wrong. The spring goes in on top of the frame doesn't it? (TRIPLE DOH!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rear brake lines took me a bit because I wanted to mount them on the wishbones and I wanted to find a brass "WYE" junction block to keep things clean and symmetrical. After searching and searching all I could come up with was a junction block used in high pressure beer brewing companies. I had the one fitting brazed up just to be sure there were no issues and I think it's going to work out great. I'll be keeping an eye out for leaks but I have a feeling it's more then up to the task.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Be just for reassurance since I plan on having my kids in this car I went with a late 70's Ford dual reservoir MC and mated it up to the '39 pedal assembly with a DICK SPADARO adapter. Brakes are bled and work like a charm (in theory). It should be noted that one of the Wheel cylinders was assembled wrong from where ever Dennis Carpenters get's there. I replaced all of mine with new ones and one of the rubber seals inside was just floating around here there allowing the brake fluid to pour out when bleeding. Simple fix but I'm going to quality check mine before installing now.
    [​IMG]

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Another thing that I picked up was a KING fuel fllter/regulator which I have heard good things about and that are used in high end cars like Ferrari's and shit. I found this guy on ebay selling them for $38 so I scooped one up. It's a really nice piece and looks right at home with all the old parts with the exception of it being a little oversized. I almost sank it into a oil filter canister and mounted it on the firewall but in the end I designed a small bracket and my buddy Jeremy broke a pice of stainless in two spots so I could make some holes and mount it to the top of my frame/inner fender in the engine bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Random pics of the HURST mount.
    [​IMG]

Now this all brings me to some of the Chrome pieces that I had done. I have the please of knowing a local that chromes shit in his back yard. He's a tweeker type that is super sketchy to deal with but for the price.....holy shit how can you argue. He's the type of guy that will call you 18 times at 11:30 at night wondering if he can get up with you to exchange the money for the chrome but luckily I don't deal with him that much and I normally have my good pal Del mediate the "deal". My first experience with getting stuff chromed was pretty pleasurable. I had 28 pieced done for less then $400 with some of that being polishing work instead of chrome. I had my original OFFY valve cover repolished after they had seen some real wear and tear over the last 60 years. In the end I sold those and got these Hildebrandts. Anyways here some shots of what I have chromed thus far and I just dropped off another load including the Generator, Factory exhaust manifolds, and NOS chrome accessory voltage regulator cover and some other odds and ends.
    [​IMG]

Steering column. Of course I didn't know that a '40 steering wheel leaves a gap with the '35 column so I chromed the wrong one (FORTH DOH!). I think I am going to have an exhaust shop swedge a piece to take up that space and have that chromed for like $5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Throttle linkage against the black firewall looks cool...
    [​IMG]

Why not chrome your oil filter can if it's only $10 right?
    [​IMG]

Waterpump Pulley.
    [​IMG]

I even had the inner fender braces done while I was at it and while you may never see them I thought it was a cool touch for someone 50 years from now to find haha!!

Now onto the interior. I started insulating the car with muti-celled automotive insulation that I got from HAMB member LOBUCROD. I think it's great shit and is going to work out awesome. Of course I used regular 3M 77 spray adhesive instead of high temp stuff so it should be sagging very soon with mid 90º weather this week (FIFTH DOH!)
    [​IMG]

Didn't so the firewall. Might add some lizard skin there after I get all the holes drilled for the regulator and the tags.
    [​IMG]

Wiring is one of my next big issues to tackle. I'd like to get everything in order so that when I set a weekend aside to do so I have everything on hand and do not need to stop once I'm in the THICKFREAKNESS of it all. I picked this up from REBEL WIRING here on the HAMB and it's awesome and the customer service was killer. I went with a 9+3 unit and plan on splicing in cloth covered wire from HRC on anything that's showing in the firewall.
    [​IMG]

Seats are another concern. I know they are necessary to get it running but I kind of want to get that out of the way so I am not tearing the seat apart again. I am using a '39 or '37 seat with a '35-36 mount and wooden frame work. There is going to be some tweaking to get that to work properly but nothing major. I traded some '32 rails a couple years ago for a industrial CONSEW upholstery sewing machine so I am hoping that I can get the materials (black and white naugahyde) so that my wife can get started on that and the carpeting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few from where I'll sit soon...
    [​IMG]

I also need to do the door panels and chrome the garnish moldings but that can wait til the winter.
    [​IMG]

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Couple weeks ago I sanded, filled and primed the tail light housings. Need to paint them red before installing the new taillights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last thing I tackled on Saturday before heading out to the OUTER BANKS for the holiday was the grille shell. I spend an hour scrubbing it and cleaning up the old chrome and each bar. At first it looked kind of rough but after some never dull (thanks Boobs!), 000 steel wool and some elbow grease I was able to turn it into a think of beauty. For right now I am going to keep it as it but I think before long I am going to paint all the center bars black and then install the stainless trim piece on top. I think it'll fit the car better then all shiny...this is a rat rod after all.:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing I had done was this striping tribute by Brett For Christ. Preston was my best good friend Del's brother in law. He helped out on my car when I was in the hospital with my son and while that was the only time I had met him I considered him family from that day forward. He spent his time trying to lift my spirits that day and I'll never forget that. He was fatally wounded by a single gun shot which was a complete accident in October 3 months after helping me on my car. So I felt it was in order to pay tribute to him on this car so this resides on the passenger side tail panel. I had BforC do it in the style of the old Russetta logo...
    [​IMG]

The rest are just random shots form that day and may not even be from my '35. I am hoping to get more and more done each weekend and maybe....just maybe have it ready to ride up to Winston Salem for Heavy Rebel Weekender. We'll see!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Terd!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and I hope to be updating soon!
    [​IMG]

5. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Cool shots man! I hope getting her out in the daylight gives you the drive to kick her in the ass!

Good Luck with the build!!!

6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Jeffery, man the car is looking good. I thought all you had was the 32, but I guess not. You're in good company with Jordan, you know him being a movie star and all. I bought his 31 coupe a couple of years ago and had the pleasure of meeting him. Keep on keeping on with the 35. You seem to have the talents to make it a nice ride. Good things will come your way. You always have words of encouragement and compliments in your posts. I hope the worst is over with the medical situation with your son. Believe me, I know how frightening that can be.

7. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

shes looking good man cant wait to see her

8. lazyv8

lazyv8

so jelous over those firestone letters.. you jerk!

9. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

"I probably under estimated the amount of time it takes to raise him his first year. Even when I am not doing something directly with him my time gets ate up by supporting my wife so that she can be the best mom that she can be....so basically I have not been getting as much time on the car as I would have anticipated which is why I'm still chipping away and not driving this SOB right now."

Man...mine was born 2 months ago yesterday. MORE TRUE WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN!

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Ditto...

The car's ok too:D

11. lookin' good!

Glad to see your back at it.

12. hemifarris

hemifarris

Nice car/look/stance. '35 coupes are in my top 10 list of vintage cars. Good luck.......Mike
    P.S......radial tires? :):):):):):)

13. Thank god! I'd begun to feel like a stalker constantly checking to see if you'd posted on this thing. I've followed it since the beginning and am excited to see it so close to getting on the road. Keep up the good work and the detailed posts! I hope everything is going well with the little guy. I showed my girl his picture a while back and some of your cars and her response was, "well you've got as many car parts as him, now all we need is a baby!" Hopefully I can get something on the road or close to it before that all happens. Anyway, keep on keepin on, and don't go so long without updating us on this sweet little '35.
    Thanks,
    Joseph

14. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Looking good! Keep at it.

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Fuckin bitchin brother... flat out. I love it.

16. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

Nice Job JJ,,,,, alot of effort there for sure!!!!!!!

17. Uptown83

Uptown83

Cool, I just started working on my 35 5w. Trying to decide how i want to lower my car.. did you only use a reversed spring and lowering shackles to drop the rear? I was thinking I would have to flatten out my cross member as well.

18. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

that car is sooooo perfect

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Agreed.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

:D
    [​IMG]

Haha, nope firestone 5.50's up front and Lester 7.50's out back.

No flattening the rear here although that's how Axle got his '36 real low. I used the posie spring with reversed eyes and Terdels's 1" longer shackles. After first I thought I was going to need to remove some springs but once I stood back and compared with the old magazines it looked pretty spot on I think. Definitely a hot rod right?!

Thanks guys so much!! I appreciate it more then you'll ever know. You guys inspire me every day.

21. Fuck man, your a lot farther along then I even thought! GO CAT GO!

Glad you liked your rat rod shock mounts.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahahaha!!!! I figured nobody actually reads my mouth diarrhea diatribe but I am glad to see you caught that! Thanks buddy I'm going!!!!

23. Good stuff Ffegaroo! Are those iPhone pics? If so, what app?

24. Fortress

Fortress

A honey do list that is all car related.....nice try. Your 35 is lookin sweet!

25. Jeffery....I admire your tenacity.....Congrats on Memphis's recovery and health....

26. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Looks great dude. You will lead the pack to steel in motion next year for sure! Your coupe has that "just right" quality, its what should come up when you type 35 ford hotrod in google. Can't wait to see it in person again.

27. hotdamn

hotdamn

bro I cant begin to express how proud I am of you. For your first build you have managed to put together such a sweet ride. some people that are into cars go their entire lives and never build something with so much class and style...

and as noted before, thank you again for your tribute for Preston, it not only means a fucking ton to Alison and myself but I know it would mean the world to Preston to be associated with you car like that. He was so excited to just do anything to help out because he thought your car was so rad. In which case he had a good eye:)

JJ, your the radness brother.

keep on.

28. titus

titus

looks good, keep the momentum rollin!

jeff

29. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Nice progress dude.. I dig that car.. its going to rule when its done..