Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need A-518 and A-618 transmission information

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spicolli, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Spicolli

Spicolli

I'm considering using a A-518 transmission in my project. I have been looking and reading about transmission for some time and really cant figure out what will work easiest and best.

So is any one hear a transmission person that can give me some advise.

My engine i will be using is a 354 Hemi.

What's the difference between the 518 and the 618 (46RH and 47RH respectively) ?

Also, can one of the 46RE or 47RE work even though they are computer controlled? Or is it just better staying with the RH module?

I know some of the 518/46 and 618/47 used lockup non-lockup and torque converters, which would be best (I'm assuming lockup would be better!)?

Can the lockup or non-lockup fetchers be changed to the opposite or is it "once a non-lockup always a non-lockup"?

Thanks

2. okay.. first here's the break down on mopar transmissions as i know it. the a518 is a 904 with an OD hanging off the end.. the 46 stands for 4 speed 600 torque limit ( I am assuming that's breaking levels) the a618 is a 727 with an OD on the back. now back to the 46/47 some are 46RE forget what the R stands for but the E means electronic, 4th gear / lockup are controlled by 2 solenoids, they can be run by a switch, other than 4th gear they are just 904's / 727's and operate normally without a computer. just need 2 switches and a relay to run em in a non computer controlled car. now there is also the 46 / 47RFE which is computer controlled line pressure and a bunch of other things.. unless your an electrical guru stay away from them. more of a pain then what its worth.. unless that hemi is making some serious power, the a518 will do just fine even an a500 would work, there are many of those around, just a little weaker version in the late 80's early 90's Dakotas and ram's. now if you do want to run that trans, do some research on the actual voltage those solenoids need, I was once told they take like 8 volts, and running 12 to them burns them out. here is a simple electrical diagram minus the voltage reducers. you can run them ground or power interrupted, ground is safer. a switch for lockup once in 4th gear and a button for 4th gear. take a look. there are other ways to do it, but that's what I ran.
    [​IMG]

and a word to the wise, don't crack open that OD part of the trans, unless you know what your doing. its got a spring under like 600lbs pressure. oh yeah and the switch to the 47 / 46 thing was just a name change...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. and all of those transmissions are lockup converters, if I remember correctly you can't put a non lockup converter in.

4. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

I would recommend 1993-1995 A518 (46RH). The 47RH is a heavy duty version of the A518 with a larger bell housing and 6 bolt torque converter used behind the v-10 and diesel. Both have a 3 wire connector for easy wiring, 12 volt power in and ground for lockup and ground for OD. The 46RH is what I am using in my wife's 38 Plymouth truck because we are running a 360 powerplant and it bolts right up.

5. storm king

storm king

I understand there are non lockup versions of the 518. Identified quickly by a two prong connector rather than a three prong one. Mopar Action did a rather extensive series of articles on this some years back, and I copied them.
    I also talked to a tranny guru in NYC a few years back, who does mostly modern FWD, but got his start on RWD stuff. He had all kinds of goodies and tricks for using the 518 in HP applications. Sorry that I can't recall his name off hand, but he advertised in the ricer tuner books, as he was racing Mitsu Eclipse's.

6. The A518 comes in two very different versions - gas and diesel. Gas A518's have a lock-up converter (and a 3-pin connector) whereas diesel A518's do not (2-pin connector). In addition to many internal differences, the bellhousings are very different.

The 47RH is a diesel-only transmission with a lock-up converter. Many people refer to it as a A618, but 47RH is the right name. As mentioned, "4" refers to the number of speeds. "7" refers to the relative torque capacity of the trans - the higher the number the higher the torque capacity.

The 46RH is the gas version of the 47RH and also has a lock-up converter. That is the trans you should look for if you can't find a gas A518. Find one off a small block mopar engine so it will fit your 354 (with an adapter of course).

Stay away from the RE series of transmissions, they require a computer (or stand alone controller) to operate them. The "E" refers to electronic control, whereas "H" refers to hydraulic control. They have an 8-pin connector whereas the RH series uses a 3-pin. Try to get the electrical connector with your trans if possible.

You can operate the OD and lockup clutch via toggle switches or make it automatic with pressure switches connected to the governor pressure test port.

By the way, these are all based on the old bulletproof A727.

It is the A500 that is the smaller trans based on the old A904.

7. Spicolli

Spicolli

Can the non-lockup two prong be converted to the lockup three prong type?

Sounds like the 518/46RH three prong is the easiest way to go.

Any one know if the 518 and the 618 share the same bell-housing bolt pattern?

8. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

The 2 wire cannot be converted to the 3 wire because there are other hard parts involved ie input shaft, torque converter, valve body and solenoid pack. Also, as stated by 30dodgeboy, the bell housings are very different.

Go get a 46RH and a good trans cooler and you'll be happy.

9. 73RR

73RR

Look back at 30dodgeboy's post...The 47RH is a diesel-only transmission with a lock-up converter. Many people refer to it as a A618, but 47RH is the right name. As mentioned, "4" refers to the number of speeds. "7" refers to the relative torque capacity of the trans - the higher the number the higher the torque capacity.

One other caution is to stay away from the A500 (A-904) as it will not bolt up to an EarlyHemi...the starter sits too high.

You are not too far from Seattle, call Pat Blais and talk TF: 206.365.1966

10. Spicolli

Spicolli

Great information!

Thanks!! Its a big help.

11. jbtine

jbtine

First off a 518 IS NOT a 904 with OD. An A500 is a 904 with OD. A 518 is a 727 with OD. I have 2 of each type transmission. My 518 is a hydraulic governed trany and is behind a 341 Desoto hemi. All that is needed to go in OD is 12 volts. Easiest way to determine if it has lockup is to look at the OD connector. A two pin connector is a non lockup and a 3 pin is a lockup converter. A 46RE transmission needs a computer to work because the governing system is computer controlled. A 515/ 46RH will work just fine with no computer, just add 12 volts. I have run the 518 with full 12 volts to the OD solenoid thousands of miles with no problems. The following links have info about using a 518 and have the male connector needed if you didn't get one with your tranny.
    http://www.transmissionsone.com/
    http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm